PDA

View Full Version : So, does Norm ever bellow profanity?

Darl Bundren
12-28-2006, 2:11 PM
Reason I ask is that yesterday, I was routing out some mortises for some legs I've been working on for what seems to be a lifetime. My router's edge guide hit one of the dogs, slipped a bit, and blew out the side of the mortise and pretty much ruined the leg. My verbal response was such that my wife, working upstairs behind two or three closed doors, though I was having a violent coughing fit. I do not recall Norm ever doing that. What do you think?

Bob Reda
12-28-2006, 2:46 PM
I think thats when they go to commerical:p

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-28-2006, 3:25 PM
Just remember: Norm isn't paid to actually produce anything. He's paid to waltz through the process. If at first it doesn't succeed Take Take again.

Lee DeRaud
12-28-2006, 3:32 PM
I think thats when they go to commerical:pIIRC, they do not have the cameras running when he's building the prototype...he probably gets them all out of his system then. :cool:

Jeff Yates
12-28-2006, 3:37 PM
Just remember: Norm isn't paid to actually produce anything. He's paid to waltz through the process. If at first it doesn't succeed Take Take again.

Jeez...y'all sure do rag on that man...

I envy him that he's found something he loves to do, gets paid very well to do it, and at the same time has given thousands an introduction to woodworking. You have to respect that man...

Nancy Laird
12-28-2006, 3:47 PM

Hey, Cliff, What's your beef with Norm? He's actually a very hightly sought-after, highly paid, and highly skilled woodworker and cabinet maker who just happens to do a very informative and entertaining show. And he DOES produce all those things you see on NYW--sometimes he builds 3 or 4 of them.

Jealous?

Nancy

Bob Childress
12-28-2006, 3:55 PM
I read an article some time back about the NYW and the way it is produced. Russ Morash & Co. intentionally decided never to show Norm making a mistake on the basis that the audience didn't tune in to watch stuff ups. But he does make a few, especially on the prototypes. He's human, after all. Don't know if he cusses about it, but probably.

Personally, I think a DVD of Norm "outtakes" would sell really well and be very entertaining. :D

Cody Colston
12-28-2006, 4:04 PM
Personally, I think a DVD of Norm "outtakes" would sell really well and be very entertaining. :D

The question has been asked many times on Norm's site about why he doesn't do a "bloopers" episode. FWIW, the answer is that Norm hasn't made enough mistakes on camera to fill a program.

Personally, I think he's great. He was (is) an outstanding carpenter that has become a very good self-taught woodworker. His projects may not be as difficult or as refined as some seen here on this forum but Norm inten tionally selects projects that the average woodworker can complete.

Hey, some people are Festool groupies and some of us are Norm groupies. ;)

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 4:21 PM
Not true, Cliff. He builds two of each. A prototype and the actual item during the taping...which you can watch live with the web-cam if you have the time to sit there and do so. They shoot almost evey episode in two or three days tops, outside of finishing. He does all the work himself.

That all said, whether or not he says "bad words" when a boo-boo occurs will likely stay up in the air. He's human just like the rest of us, however... ;)

Hey, some people are Festool groupies and some of us are Norm groupies.
Or both...

Rick Levine
12-28-2006, 4:31 PM
Nancy,

Bravo! I agree completely. Most of what I've learned about woodworking is due to Norm's programs. I haven't taken a woodworking class since high school and with the limited time I have his programs have been indispensable. I have many of them recorded on TIVO.

michael tessler
12-28-2006, 5:59 PM
Years ago, I received my BS in Education.......to teach high school Industrial Arts. I ended up not teaching, as I went into the manufacturing business, but I taught adult education classes. From my prospective, Norm does an excellent job of demonstrating the proper (read that as safe) technique to woodworking. He explains the construction details well and why he uses the method he is demonstrating. I've noticed on some small (less complicated) projects, he goes into more basic detail, i.e., woodworking 101. His review of woodworking principles can certainly help many people.......especially when I read some of the questions and comments on woodworking forums.

I hope Norm keeps making NYW projects. His program is mandatory watching around my house!

Mike

Dave Sabo
12-28-2006, 9:55 PM
There has been at least one 30min. bloopers show in the last 5-7 years. Norm has also shown up on TOH with arm in a sling b/o an accident. Can't remember exactly if it was on TOH or NYW that he got the lame wing.

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey, how come we don't get do-overs with an endless supply of stock??? Just kidding. I guess it falls back to; if you don't make mistakes, you're not trying anything, eh?

Earl Reid
12-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm a long time Norm fan. I have watched most of his shows as well as most the other WW shows that have been aired in our area. The only project of his that I made
was 18 of the candle tables.

Earl

scott spencer
12-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Absolutely! Check out episode #81...he dropped a very audible "F-bomb" when he cracked a piece of veneer.

....Not! ;) :D

Paul Greathouse
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm a high strung kind of guy that tends to let my emotions get the better of me at times. What I admire most about Norm is his easy going, soft spoken and seemingly methodical personalility. I have no idea what kind of person he actually is but I would bet he would handle a mortise blowout better than I would.

I have been working with one guy for about 25 years now, and I have never heard him cuss or throw a major fit of any kind. Some folks are just blessed enough to be wired that way.

And yes, I have probably learned more from watching Norm, than from any other woodworking instruction that I have seen. I'm not lucky enough to have known anyone personally that would equal Norm's experience level, so I have had to self learn most of the woodworking skills that I have. What I would give, to have had someone like Norm for a personal woodworking mentor.

I know this thread probably started out as a joke but it interested me enough that I wanted to comment. It's good to see that there are so many Norm fans here.

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 11:46 AM
What I admire most about Norm is his easy going, soft spoken and seemingly methodical personalility.

You point out one of the key qualities that Norm brings to the table, as it were...it's both an excellent teaching technique and a good way to work on projects. So many of the mistakes that many of us make are because of being rushed and/or not thinking through the process before attempting it.

Steven Blunt
12-29-2006, 12:21 PM
They do pretty well with the transitions too. Sometimes he seems to have a bit of trouble during glue-ups and they'll cut away and then cut back in and the piece is all together. I don't think any of those 'oops' would deserve a cus, but I certainly think they use a little creative editing to remove some of those hiccups.

Larry Fox
12-29-2006, 1:09 PM
I don't watch more than the very ocassional episode when surfing with the remote. I agree that his calm and collected approach to things is nice. That said, I still would like to see him let a few bleeps fly and take a bat to something on ocassion. But that's just me - I respect that sort of thing.

Ellen Benkin
12-29-2006, 2:08 PM
I once hired a carpenter/cabinet maker to do some work at my house. He had an amazing intuitive ability to look at a project and go to the saw and cut exactly the right size and angles. I naively thought that that was what all carpenter/cabinet makers could do -- that's what made them good at their jobs. Years later I worked on a project with another carpenter who had as much difficulty as I did trying to figure things out and that's when I realized that the abilities of the first person were not part of the definition of a carpenter/builder.

I admire Norm for his innate and intuitive abilities which probably came with some of the genes from his father and grandfather. I also admire his patience in explaining "how to" when he must want to scream at having to talk us through yet another mortise or dado.

When I have a "whoops" experience I'll often step back and say "how come this never happens to Norm?"

Ken Shoemaker
12-29-2006, 2:25 PM
Anyone who may feel the need to witness the occasional, verbal meltdown accompanied by the percision hammer throw, feel free to stop by when your in the Chicagoland area..... And there's the difference between Norm, the professional, and ME, the wood butcher.
Norm has earned my respect and admiration for the many years of inspiration.

Respectfuly, Ken

Todd Solomon
12-29-2006, 2:28 PM
Chalk me up as another Norm fan.

When I was a beginning woodworker, I ordered Norm's miter bench / cabinet video and plans. What a well-written and produced, step-by-step, how-to. His plans are pretty unique, in that they have everthing you need to know to build his projects, including cut lists. His plans are terrific templates for new woodworkers to model their own designing and building process after.

As I've grown in my abilities and have begun to outgrow Norm's typical project skill level, I was glad to see that he's been recently doing more challenging projects. The lowboy and highboy projects come to mind as very interesting for the more advanced woodworker. I'm thinking about making his lowboy, as it's quite a beautiful design. I would carve my own ball and claw feet. But I like that he also includes a supplier of ready-made ball and claw legs, for woodworkers that haven't yet learned that skill.

Norm's the man!

Todd

John Bailey
12-29-2006, 3:12 PM
I always tell my wife I did a "Norm" when I make a joint that fits the first time. I've noticed lately I've had a few more that I used to have.

John

Robert Mayer
12-29-2006, 4:05 PM
Im a thrower typically. Ill pretty much toss anything not bolted down that costs less than $100.

Alex Pufhal
12-29-2006, 6:07 PM
Everytime I watch Norm I only hold one memory. In the early 90's I was in a mall outside of Montreal with my family. And a man from I believe Jamica started yelling "Norm" very loudly. He caught up to us and kept asking my dad if he was Norm, he didn't believe him when he said no, so he produced ID and the man finally left him but was convinced that he met Norm that night.

In reality the do look somewhat alike but not enough that that happens on a regular basis. I can't help but remember that any time Norm is on.

Alex

Conrad Aquino
12-29-2006, 6:53 PM
Maybe that's the reason for all of the machinery noise during the show... is to mask all of the cussing :D :D .

For me it's always interesting to watch NYW to see and learn jointery techniques... my only "beef" with the show is when Norm does projects utilizing WW machines that the average person does not and probably will never have. But then... it does give one something to shoot for ;)

Keith Barkhau
12-29-2006, 7:32 PM
Hey Ken, you ever make it up to the Naperville area? I'd be happy to share hammer throw/verbal meltdown tips. Heck, we could even sacrifice some sawdust to Norm...

Fred Voorhees
12-29-2006, 7:54 PM
Im a thrower typically. Ill pretty much toss anything not bolted down that costs less than $100.

Yeah, I was sort of that way once also. That is how I lost my favorite screwdriver. Never to be found again. That being said, I am a huge Norm fan and wish he would be around for quite some time.

Larry Fox
12-29-2006, 8:22 PM

Gotta Love that :D

Ken Shoemaker
12-29-2006, 8:28 PM
Keith,
I do get up that way for the job from time to time. But sawdust making is certainly important enough to schedule a road trip. The same goes for you, Frankfort ain't that far away... Infact, ANY Creeker will find a hot cup of coffee waiting for them if they are in the area... Ken

Howie French
12-29-2006, 9:07 PM
count me in as a Norm fan, from the early "this old house" days it was Norm
that really inspired me to begin woodworking.

Howie

Michael Gibbons
12-29-2006, 9:43 PM
Like Mr Becker pointed out, Norm builds most of the projects twice except for episodes like the garage workshop , Garden shed, Backyard treless; stuff thats too big to fit in the shop. And since he does a prototype, he figures out all the hard details that makes the projects look so effortless when he does it for the shoot. Take the Turkey table project. The legs were cut on the tablesaw with about 5 cuts that would have had me scratching my head for a week to figure out. I am glad Norm is around,I learned alot. If he does decide to retire he will be sorely missed by me for sure. Just think,-over the past 18 seasons he built on average 12 projects per season, built most of them twice , So, 18x12x2=432 pieces. Dats-alotta-wood my friends!!!

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I suspect the real work and trial goes on before the filming. Then you see abbreviated sections of the 2nd unit being built (carefully edited). The cussing if any would also be trimmed. But I still love the show NYW and Norm's temperment (and T. Silva on TOH ain't too bad either or the crew at Ask thisOH). Bob Villa was a little different:) in the older days..

Mark Ebert
12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Keith,
I do get up that way for the job from time to time. But sawdust making is certainly important enough to schedule a road trip. The same goes for you, Frankfort ain't that far away... Infact, ANY Creeker will find a hot cup of coffee waiting for them if they are in the area... Ken

Heck, I'm practically down the street from you (in Plainfield). With all of the Creekers that are in the Chicagoland, we should try to all have a get-together sometime next Spring and pass around stories of projects and secret hardwood stashes:D .

-Mark

Paul Simmel
12-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Knocking Norm tells more about the knocker. Who could disparage the successes of a hard working carpenter who, by whatever graces, has made a fantastic career for himself.

Those of us who have paid our bills with our carpentry/woodworking skills, can only admire Norm’s ascent and wish him well.

Mike Buelow
12-30-2006, 2:12 AM
I suspect the real work and trial goes on before the filming. Then you see abbreviated sections of the 2nd unit being built (carefully edited). The cussing if any would also be trimmed. But I still love the show NYW and Norm's temperment (and T. Silva on TOH ain't too bad either or the crew at Ask thisOH). Bob Villa was a little different:) in the older days..
Good point about the planning. I had no problem with 20 or so credits of calculus during my undergrad days, but I will spend a half hour on a Saturday bent over the clipboard checking and re-checking my arithmetic. I assume Norm's plans are either done down to the smallest detail or he smooths out the blanks during the proto build.

I am another for whom this show got me started. I used to watch it on saturday mornings when I was a teenager and between that and Hometime my dad and I would joke about how everything always fit perfectly, there was no swearing, and how they always had the perfect tool. Now that I have a respectable tool arsenal, there isn't one of them that I would consider redundant or not mission critical. I thought the drawer full of $50 router bits was especially amusing. (someday!)

Regarding throwing things-- on a remodel project I once threw a hammer in frustration. It bounced right back and missed my temple by inches. You bet your ___ I was in church that Sunday. I actually try to think WWND when things start to go wrong.

Curt Harms
12-30-2006, 4:32 AM
IIRC, they do not have the cameras running when he's building the prototype...he probably gets them all out of his system then. :cool:

Ever build two or more of something? For me at least the second one goes a LOT better. Norm was a contractor for a number of years before landing this gig, so I doubt he's totally incompetent.

Dave Fifield
12-30-2006, 5:25 AM
Truth be told, the reason I took up woodworking was because of Norm's programs. The man is an icon IMO. He can do no wrong. And yes, I use brad nails where I know I can get away with them.... :)

:Dave F.

George Sanders
12-30-2006, 6:21 AM
Most of us have to make do with what we can afford as far as tools go. If I had the machinery in Norm's shop would my woodworking skills improve? Yes and no. You could have the very best in equipment and still make mistakes. I built an entertainment center with raised panel pocket doors that were 1/4 " too wide for the cabinet. I checked my math 3 times and never found the error. I cut 1/16" off both sides of each door and they fit fine. I know I will never be the equal of Norm but that is not the point of his show. It has inspired me to take the plunge into more challenging and complex projects. By the way, I'm glad there's no video camera in my garage.

Ken Shoemaker
12-30-2006, 6:51 AM
Mark,
A Chicagoland meeting would be a great idea!!! I'm in... I wonder if we could get a good turnout? You have any ideas what form it could take????

Billy Chambless
12-30-2006, 9:44 AM
For me it's always interesting to watch NYW to see and learn jointery techniques... my only "beef" with the show is when Norm does projects utilizing WW machines that the average person does not and probably will never have.

I think that's the reason (fair or not) for a lot of the Norm-bashing.

Personally, I'd love to see a NYW-like show, but aimed at those of us with more humble equipment. But that doesn't take anything away from what Norm does, and judging from the replies here, he's helped a lot of people learn woodworking.

Dave Bureau
12-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I would suppose Norm Bloops one out once in a while But Roy on the woodwright shop must be a walking blooper. Have you ever seen his hands? I've never seen him without a big gash on his hands.

josh bjork
12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, in the show he basically doesn't screw up. It reminds me of the hunting shows where they always get their game. They are fake. He makes things look easy that aren't and that bugs me. As if to say some failure isn't part of the learning process.

I quit watching it because the warnings are SOOOO long and they are just filler. Not bad, just filler. They could be more economical with time if they chose to, but they don't.

Art Mulder
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
People talk about envying Norms tools/shop all the time.

But really... wouldn't you rather have Norm's assistant who is in charge of cleaning, tuning, and sharpening all those tools? :D:rolleyes:

...art

Ted Miller
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I grew up in Michigan framing custom homes with my dad and he loved Norm, the only cuss words my dad used on the job was at the architech who always said to him, "it works on paper", then my dad would hand him his hammer and nails and would say, "here, make it happen then".

Norm taugh me alot about cabinets, doors and furniture and that is why I do this for my second job. We all make mistakes and when working with wood we make sure we don't make them again, too costly...

Allan Johanson
12-30-2006, 2:00 PM
I'm a big Norm fan too for all the reasons stated above. Have you seen his books? Just the basic tools are used in those projects. No crazy wide belt sanders. :)

Another reason I'm a huge Norm fan is because he loves fast cars. Last I heard he had a Shelby Series One. Way to go, Norm! You are my hero! :D

Allan

Nancy Laird
12-30-2006, 2:48 PM
Knocking Norm tells more about the knocker. AMEN!!!!Who could disparage the successes of a hard working carpenter who, by whatever graces, has made a fantastic career for himself.

Those of us who have paid our bills with our carpentry/woodworking skills, can only admire Norm’s ascent and wish him well.

Amen, Paul. See the quote from Josh below.

Well, in the show he basically doesn't screw up. It reminds me of the hunting shows where they always get their game. They are fake. He makes things look easy that aren't and that bugs me. As if to say some failure isn't part of the learning process.

I quit watching it because the warnings are SOOOO long and they are just filler. Not bad, just filler. They could be more economical with time if they chose to, but they don't.

Josh, I take your comment to mean that you believe that Norm is a fake. The things he does on the show are usually pretty basic woodworking skills. Norm has been doing this work for a LOT of years, and I would suspect that his screw-ups are few and far between, because he, like a lot of other woodworkers I know, stops and considers what he is doing, what he wants to accomplish, and how he wants to get there, well before he starts chopping on his wood. Don't you think that he has done plenty of screw-ups in his career? He didn't just emerge from the womb with his skills--it took him a lot of years to get there--just like all of us.

The warnings are there for a reason. No woodworker worth his/her salt will go into the shop and start working on a project without being there, entirely there in mind, body, and spirit. Any woodworker who goes in without having his mind and body in the same place is just looking for trouble. Warnings are more than just filler--they are necessary to remind some that woodworking is not a game, it isn't a hobby, it is a serious craft and having your mind and body in different places leads to disaster. I have three people who are very close to me--my boss, a family member, and a close friend--who have lost major pieces of their hands to table saws because they didn't follow that prescription.

Of course, if you are perfect, you don't need to listen to those warnings or follow those cautions. But I know of only one perfect man, and we just celebrated His birthday.

Methinks maybe you are as jealous as Cliff seems to be.

Nancy

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 7:59 PM

Screw-ups would take valuable time, too, Josh. And if you think the show is fake, feel free to watch them tape it via the webcam that is always available from the NYW website... ;) Those warnings are necessary from a legal standpoint...all the shows have them in some form. So do the magazines. It's the world we live in. And frankly, they are important because folks new to woodworking can be viewing for the first time with any episode, present or past.

Norm certainly isn't the worlds greatest craftsman...and I believe he'd tell you that himself. But he does a good service and is the reason that so many of us are hanging out at SMC and spending time in our shops making sawdust when we can.

nic obie
12-30-2006, 8:07 PM
Those warnings are necessary from a legal standpoint...all the shows have them in some form. So do the magazines. It's the world we live in.

If we like it or not...

we will bow down to the PC. Hahahahahaha

;)

Doug Shepard
12-30-2006, 9:01 PM
Up until a few years ago I watched every week. Then the flaky PBS channel in my area took him off his 8PM Thursday time slot and started bouncing him all over the map schedule-wise. I gave up trying to figure out when he'd be on and lost track but I bet he's still wearing his trademark flannel shirts. I keep waiting for him to cash in on that with a Norm Abrams flannel line through LL Bean or Cabelas. If Tim Allen can hawk hammers, and Bob Vila his Craftsman shtick, then Norm ought to be able to build up a retirement fund too.:cool:

Fred Voorhees
12-30-2006, 9:53 PM
Josh is entitled to his opinion, though I have never thought that the warnings were THAT long. Cripes, what does Norm take in time to do so???? Maybe fifteen seconds. And as has been stated, the warnings are almost a necessity, if not an absolute these days.

I feel offended when someone criticizes Norm. Let's face it, Norm is the face of woodworking in America. I have had more than a couple of people jokingly call me Norm....not once has anyone ever referred to me as Leopold Stickley, Sam Maloof or George Nakashima. It has always been Norm. Like it or not, Norm Abram has brought our beloved craft into the light and I, like I'm sure millions of other hobbyist woodworkers, have been inspired by his show and now enjoy it tremendously. I credit my Grandfather with getting the fire lit in me, but Norm with keeping it from becoming ashes.

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I'd never mistake you for Nakashima, either, Fred... :D :D :D :D

Darl Bundren
12-31-2006, 3:16 PM
I was at it again downstairs, this time cutting the side panels I'd glued up to size. One comes out right at 13 3/4. The other, well, I measured twice to ensure that I could cut it right at 13 and ... 1/2?!:mad: When I get my own show, I'd better hire some careful editors...:D Happy New Year, everybody!

Fred Voorhees
12-31-2006, 4:01 PM
I'd never mistake you for Nakashima, either, Fred... :D :D :D :D
And you'd be correct sir!;)

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 6:15 PM
And you'd be correct sir!

You're too tall...:p

Keith Barkhau
01-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Mark,

Count me in! I'd love to get together with some fellow creekers.

John Terefenko
01-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I want to go on the list of Norm fans. He has been a true inspiration to the woodworking community. He is a big reason for the surge in power tool sales. He does take the calm approach and I think alot of that is because he has seen just about every screwup you can make and he has learned how to overcome them and avoid them. None of us has done more projects than he has. He has been a great teacher over the years and if you buy his dvds he shows even more do's and don'ts than the 1/2 hour show allows. Yes it is nice to be able to change routers rather than change router bits but that all comes with the show and the sponsorers. Just think that should have been Tom Silva doing this if it wasn't for a scheduling thing. Tom was sceduled to be the host of This Old House and Norm was suppose to be the contractor but Tom could not be there because he had a commitment on a job he was doing and the rest is history. He was also suppose to do the Yankee workshop thing. I guess you all know that is not Norm's home or shop. That belongs to Marsh.

I hope Norm continues as long as he can and I wish he could actually do more shows. Can't get enough no matter how many times I see him make raised panel doors.

Don Bullock
01-01-2007, 1:17 PM
Add me to the list of Norm fans for sure. He's one of the reasons that I decided to get back into woodworking. Sure, Norm isn't a master furniture, but how many of us here are? His ideas, designs and yes, even his safety tips, are excellent for those of us who meed a little inspiration to get us started. As for goofs, I've head him mention things that he learned from the prototype before he made the project for TV. I certainly have no idea what kind of language he uses when he does make a mistake. Norm's so easy going on camera that I think he must be that way in "real life." Thanks Norm for all you have done for woodworkers.