PDA

View Full Version : Lasering cloth

Dan Hill
12-28-2006, 1:03 PM
Thought I'd try something out of the ordinary. I got some mixed results, mostly bad for a while. I finally got the settings about right and had some success. Here's a scene I did on cotton muslin (the kind made for filtering maple syrup).

Tim Goldstein
12-28-2006, 1:38 PM
Are you willing to share the settings that you finally got to work for that fabric. Looks nice.

Dan Hill
12-28-2006, 2:36 PM
30% Power, 200PPI, 100% speed, #3 on thruput setting,
.005 in. out of focus using a 2.5'' lense.
50w M300 Universal Laser

Did some cotton suede that came out nice too. Different settings and lense tho.

Mike Mackenzie
12-28-2006, 3:41 PM
Dan,

That is an impressive piece is that cloth readily available from fabric stores? I would love to make up a sample.

Clara Carter
12-28-2006, 3:45 PM
My husband to be is an artist and loves to use all kinds of mediums.

His birthday is coming soon and I would love for him to get into lasering. What is all involved? What equipment does he need?

Please give me some advise on what to start with.

Thanks

Joe Pelonio
12-28-2006, 5:46 PM
My husband to be is an artist and loves to use all kinds of mediums.

His birthday is coming soon and I would love for him to get into lasering. What is all involved? What equipment does he need?

Please give me some advise on what to start with.

Thanks
That would be a very generous gift, new lasers start at $9,000 and up.
The nice thing about being an artist is that he can draw original artwork and engrave it onto a variety of materials for sale as limited edition reproductions of originals and get more $ for them.

On the fabric issue, try doing lettering and clipart on polarfleece. Works great. Have also had decent results on denim, bleaches it white. My wife's a quilter and some day when I get time I plan to try other fabrics, I make her acrylic templates and have even cut fabric for her on the laser so she owes me some of her scraps.

Bob Yeager
12-28-2006, 8:15 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I stumbled onto a website the other day selling lasers specifically for fabric.

JOE - what setting do you recommend for denim. (I have an Epilog mini 18, 35 watt)

Anyone else have pics to share showing lasered fabric?

Thanks, Bob

Dan Hill
12-29-2006, 8:01 AM
Here's one I did on suede.

Joe Pelonio
12-29-2006, 8:31 AM
This is a very interesting thread. I stumbled onto a website the other day selling lasers specifically for fabric.

JOE - what setting do you recommend for denim. (I have an Epilog mini 18, 35 watt)

Anyone else have pics to share showing lasered fabric?

Thanks, Bob
On my 45 watt speed 96 power 40 does it, but on yours you might have to use more power. Also keep the dpi low, say 300 to keep it from burning through. Use a scrap or do it on the inside of the pants until you get the best settings for your machine.

Bob Yeager
12-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Joe - I appreciate the reply. Maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to play around a bit.

Bob

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Yup!! But don't Forget to Remember:eek:
If your doing dark fabric, use a negative image..
here is one of my brain farts .. luckly it was just a test on a old jacket
and chalked up to experiance

Frank Corker
12-29-2006, 6:38 PM
These were done at the similar settings given by Joe (100 speed 25 power) which I did a few weeks ago. It's on microfibre cloths, turn out very well with no visible marks on the other side and no rough feeling that you sometimes can get with different materials. It's really a bit of 'suck it and see' for the settings, so have spare material and practice before you scorch!

One is of my logo and the other is of my wife ( the one without the horns is the wife, although she does have a sharp tongue and teeth! )