PDA

View Full Version : PL wood glues and fillers

Rob Blaustein
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
A few of you have highly recommended the PL construction adhesives for certain applications. Have any of you used their glue or wood filler?
http://www.stickwithpl.com/ProductsList.aspx?ID=WOOD-REPAIR-PRODUCTS

Just wondering--are the PL adhesives better than their Liquid Nails counterparts (each brand seems to have lots of different formulations depending on what your attaching to what). Also, for wood to wood applications like sistering joists, are these 'bettter' than the standard PVA wood glues that are commonly used for more typical woodworking applications? It seems like you don't really hear much about these for ww'ing--is it b/o price, set time, etc.?

Ken Garlock
12-28-2006, 1:42 PM
Hi Rob. I have used the PL urethane window caulking when assembling my dust collection system. I recommend it and would use it again.

A little history, the PL series of adhesives was invented by and marketed by B.F. Goodrich starting back in the 1950s or so. They started out with a small bottle of liquid glue that you might have mistaken for rubber cement. Then they started marketing several grades of cement/glue for construction, PL-300 was probably the best known.

Back in the 1980s, Goodrich was bought out by Michelin, and the non tire assets were sold off, that included the PL line.

If the current owner of the PL line has maintained the quality that existed at one time, I would give them a try.

I grew up in Akron, home office of B.F. Goodrich, and my father retired from there with 42 years service.

Ben Grunow
12-28-2006, 9:32 PM
Glue is not normally specified for sistering joists where I come from. Just a good nailing schedule (pair of 12d or 16d commons every 12"). Yellow glues would be too rigid for construction use (subfloor glue down, etc) as far as I'm concerned. If the floor were to really flex, I think that a yellow glued joint could crack where a constuction adhesive glued joint would just flex and rebound. Yellow glue would also make a real mess of the framing, running everywhere.

Just MHO of course.

Ben