PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

chris del
12-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

I am not talking about the biggest, I am talking about a 12 or 15" solid cast iron planer. Who makes the best quality American made machines today?
In Canada we have the 14" Canadian made General 130 planer. Retail cost $4399.00 CDN.....
If you guys wanted the Cadillac of planers, what would you buy?

Chris

JayStPeter
12-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a US made plane in that size range. Made in Canada might be the closest you'll get. I'm not sure about Woodmaster stuff. I suppose it qualifies as a planer, since it can be configured as such.

Kirk Poore
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know of any machines in this class still made in the US. If I was intent on buying one, I'd start looking for a Powermatic 100 in good condition. They show up on fleabay with regularity, as well as in other on-line sources. Of course, getting it to you in Canada would likely add significant cost.

Kirk

Steve Schoene
12-28-2006, 1:22 PM
For US made, the smallest I could find was an 18" model that looks like a good candidate for "best".

It's the Northfield no. 2. For the single phase version, with the small 5 hp. motor, it will set you back $15,180. You can pay a bit less if you can use 3 phase. But why be a piker--step up to the 37" model, for a mere $26,330.

lou sansone
12-28-2006, 3:29 PM
hi chris
is the question " who currently makes the best planer" in the USA or " who has made the best planer" in the USA?

lou

Charles McKinley
12-28-2006, 9:10 PM
Hi Chris,

With the prices posted above it makes the woodmaster look like a pretty good deal.

chris del
12-28-2006, 10:38 PM
hi chris
is the question " who currently makes the best planer" in the USA or " who has made the best planer" in the USA?

lou

My question was geared towards the following: If you didnt want a huge planer, you didnt want offshore but didnt mind spending the big bucks on a top quality USA made planer what would you buy?
The General 130 was my example of Canadian made quality that is 3 times the price of most planers of the same size, but it is known that they are also built to last forever.

Rob Will
12-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I would buy a nice clean used USA made planer..... then use the extra money for a Byrd cutterhead. If cost is not a restriction, why not go ahead and get a 20" or 24" planer?

Rob

Charles McKinley
12-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Here is some info from Woodmaster

http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/price.cfm

Because we’re constantly striving to provide you with the most advanced machines at the best possible prices, prices and specs below are subject to change. For the most current specifications and the best possible prices, please contact us directly through email (info@woodmastertools.com) or by calling our toll-free sales line, 1-800-821-6651.

Model 712 (12.5"), with 5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
Reg. $2,615.00 Now just $1,342.00* You save $1,273.00
Model 718 (18"), with 5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
Reg. $3,457.05 Now just $1,695.00* You save $1,762.05

Model 725 (25"), with 7.5HP Motor & Steel Extension Tables
Reg. $4,970.00 Now just $2,542.00* You save $2,428.00

*Each model comes with WG-1 Knife Set Gauge, Woodmaster Craftsman's Hat ,
700V Operator's Video.

There are a couple members here that run them as moulders for banisters.

Seth Poorman
12-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Chris
I love my 18" Powermatic Model 180. Its a real workhorse.
Its no longer made , but when they made them ,they made them to last.

Mike Ragsdale
12-29-2006, 1:01 AM
Chirs

I do not know how many are still made in the USA but there is one that I know about and it is made by Hawk. I have been looking at it for some time but still do not own one. I have seen demos at wood shows and they are pretty impressive. You can find the information at www.rbiwoodtools.com (http://www.rbiwoodtools.com).

Mike

Joe Jensen
12-29-2006, 1:56 AM
I have a 1990 Powermatic model 100 12" planer. It's the smaller version of their larger planers. It's awesome. I'd buy a Powermatic and add a Byrd head.

The local tool dealer has started buying and refurbishing 20-24" Powermatics. He goes throught them completely and adds a Byrd cutterhead. He is getting $7900 for them and he claims to sell at least one a month in Phoenix.

I think you can find a nice Powermatic model 100 for $1200 or less. Add a Byrd head for $900, bearings from Grainger for $50, and some paint and you'll have an awesome machine...joe

Per Swenson
12-29-2006, 2:32 AM
We own a woodmaster 718 with a helical head.

I have put miles of product through it.

Not a hiccup. All American.

per

chris del
12-29-2006, 7:41 AM
I would buy a nice clean used USA made planer..... then use the extra money for a Byrd cutterhead. If cost is not a restriction, why not go ahead and get a 20" or 24" planer?

Rob

In my short woodworking hobby of 10+ years, I have never, ever needed a planer larger than 12". The reason I would not go for a 20 or 24" even if it was free is for a couple of reasons. Space being one. Another being that my electrical system would not supply sufficiant power to run one.
Finally, 24" knives cost more, more to sharpen. It seems wasteful to run a 24" planer for a couple of hours planning 6" boards. All that wasted hydro.

Chris

chris del
12-29-2006, 7:48 AM
The old Powermatic planers look amazing. Its sad that Powermatic has chosen to build their whole lineup offshore. I am sure many people would pay a high premium to purchase a new 100 or 180....

Chris

Rob Will
12-29-2006, 9:46 AM
12". The reason I would not go for a 20 or 24" even if it was free is for a couple of reasons. Space being one. Another being that my electrical system would not supply sufficiant power to run one.
Finally, 24" knives cost more, more to sharpen. It seems wasteful to run a 24" planer for a couple of hours planning 6" boards. All that wasted hydro.
Chris

You can run 6" boards 3 at a time to save energy;) . Just kidding, I understand the space and power restrictions. Having said that, a Byrd head will reduce your power requirements and sharpening consists of simply turning the carbide inserts 90 degrees. I like the low noise level and small shavings from insert heads.

Don't forget about the old Oliver machines as well. The 299 is more compact than a Powermatic 225. In my limited experience, if a machine is small enough to go on a mobile base (neither of the above) it leaves you a lot of options with the day to day setup of your shop. Truly stationary machines seem to double the total floor space requirement IMHO.

Rob

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Were the old Parks 12"/13" planers NA made?

Chris Rosenberger
12-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Jim the Parks planers were made in Cincinnati, Ohio. In the late 70's I went to the factory & bought a 12". I wish I still had it, although I know where it is. The Parks is a nice planer but I think the Powermatic 100 was nicer.

Jacob Larsen
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Comes in just under 15" and won't break the budget!! :D

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/5_5_lg.jpg

Kirk Poore
12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I think Joe and Rob have the right idea as far as restoring and using old machines and considering Olivers. I got my Oliver 399 (18") for $900, and put another $400 in it for new bearings, blades, paint, and a pallet jack to move it around. The floor footprint is only 2' x 3-1/2', with a little more overhang for the tables and DD motor. It tucks away against my garage wall very nicely, and the pallet jack sits straddled around my bandsaw when neither is in use.

If you never plane anything over 12", then I still think the PM 100 is your best bet. There are also Parks, Delta, and (IIRC) Belsaw planers to consider, but from what I've read the Powermatic was superior.

Used machines aren't for everyone. But restorations aren't that hard, and if you need to fix anything down the line you'll be better able to handle it.

Kirk

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-29-2006, 10:44 AM
They even give you a true helis carbide insert head

If you want a REAL Planer that takes no prisoners and delivers the best performance on the planet trashing the Euro planers and every thing else in its path then you want to look at NORTHFIELD

Rob Will
12-29-2006, 8:09 PM

If you want a REAL Planer that takes no prisoners and delivers the best performance on the planet trashing the Euro planers and every thing else in its path then you want to look at NORTHFIELD

Now THAT'S a CUTTERHEAD!
Impressive.

Rob

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 8:11 PM
Yea, I agree...that one is definitly something to keep your knuckles away from!

lou sansone
12-29-2006, 8:46 PM

cliff
is that your's ?

lou

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2006, 8:55 PM
This is what I own. A real workhorse. Made in Dayton, Ohio. The pro planer has a cast iron table. Emerson Motor. Owned it for about 20 years now

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/proplaner.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/planers.htm

Charles McKinley
12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Jacob, Get back to the CAVE! :)

Cliff now my keyboard has drool all over it! :(

The Hawk and the Woodmaster look very similar.

Bill Neely
12-30-2006, 6:01 AM
My 600 lb American made 13" planer. Stong and quiet.

Ellen Benkin
12-30-2006, 1:22 PM
Frankly, if I wanted the Cadillac, I'd buy a Toyota, built in the US. I don't think any big power tool makers build in the US anymore.

Rob Will
12-30-2006, 4:18 PM
Frankly, if I wanted the Cadillac, I'd buy a Toyota, built in the US. I don't think any big power tool makers build in the US anymore.

There's big and then there's BIG.

Rob

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/
http://www.tannewitz.com/
http://www.newmanwhitney.com/

Dave Harker
02-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Rob, that newman whitney planer is amazing - a 60hp motor for a 42" wide cutter - much more than 1hp per inch of planing width.

For those who didn't look, here is the link - you can play videos of it in use, see links - amazing...

http://www.newmanwhitney.com/Productguide/singlesurfacers/s290bf/PG-s290bf.htm

lou sansone
02-10-2007, 6:39 AM
Rob, that newman whitney planer is amazing - a 60hp motor for a 42" wide cutter - much more than 1hp per inch of planing width.

For those who didn't look, here is the link - you can play videos of it in use, see links - amazing...

http://www.newmanwhitney.com/Productguide/singlesurfacers/s290bf/PG-s290bf.htm

Great video, and a great company. I have a newman 60 jointer and it is tops in my opinion
lou

Joe Chritz
02-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Can't say I have experience with the large planers but after extensive research on my part last year my money is going to a woodmaster 718 ASAP.

Wish it would be sooner.

The only other thing I found I would go with is an old iron machine and do a refurb.

Joe

Joe Jensen
02-10-2007, 1:45 PM
Who makes the best quality made in USA planer?

I am not talking about the biggest, I am talking about a 12 or 15" solid cast iron planer. Who makes the best quality American made machines today?
In Canada we have the 14" Canadian made General 130 planer. Retail cost $4399.00 CDN.....
If you guys wanted the Cadillac of planers, what would you buy?

Chris

I have the Powermatic Model 100 with a Byrd Shellix cutterhad and IMHO it's the cadillac of 12" planers. They made a 16" version and I wish I had that one. The Model 100 is built just like the big American 24" models, but it's just narrower. I think there was an old Yates American 12" that was really nice too. My dad has a 15" newer Powermatic (Taiwain made same as all the imports), and it's nowhere near the planer that the old Model 100 is. I think you can buy a very good Powermatic Model 100 used for around $1000-1200, and drop in a Byrd head for another $850 from Holden..joe