PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening question

Jason Morgan
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a question about sharpening with a wolverine jig. Ive never used one and am a little leary about the configuration its in. Isnt the "gouge" sharpening geometry just asking to catch the tool and drive it into the wheel? I realize a "light" touch is needed, but has anyone ever exploded a wheel with one of these? Given the number of wolverine systems out there and their prevalence here I would think my worries are a little unfounded.

Thanks,

Jason

Liem Tran
12-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Jason, I'm no expert but I've been using the Wolverine alot the past few months. I think it makes life awhole lot easier and safer when it comes to sharpening. Pennstateind.com has a very similiar jig that comes with everything you need for awhole lot less. It maybe worth while to take a look.

Liem

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
I took a big chunk out of my good blue wheel. Now I just use the standard strong grey wheel. and it works better. I was always getting grooves in the blue wheel.

Bob

Gordon Seto
12-28-2006, 1:43 PM
I took a big chunk out of my good blue wheel. Now I just use the standard strong grey wheel. and it works better. I was always getting grooves in the blue wheel.

Bob That is exactly the reason why you want to use the Aluminum Oxide wheel (color doesn't matter); you want the wheel to break down to expose new sharp cutting surface for your turning tool. The gray wheel doesn't break down, the tool steel would load up on the wheel. When the glaze formed on the surface, the wheel won't cut, instead of sharpening, it generats heat and burns your tool edge. Just use a dresser to clean up the wheel, you are good to go.
Watch the free DVD that came with last year's membership.
BTW, there are various hardness on AO wheels.

Gordon

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2006, 2:11 PM
Jason, when I got my Wolverine system a couple of years ago I also was a little concerned. At that time I had not sharpened anything yet and after setting the system up it made no sence to me to have the wheel coming at you when sharpening.

I watched a couple of videos offered on the One-Way site about how to use the system and it helped me to understand that the system worked. The thing to remember is that you are working with the bevel of the tool - just like when you are turning. The bevel rides on the wheel and a by-product of grinding the bevel is that you get a nice sharp edge!

Hope what I said didn't confuse you even more! Check out the videos!

Jim Ketron
12-28-2006, 7:35 PM
Just make sure your chisel/gouge is at centerline or above on the grinder wheel and you will have no worries;)

Jason Morgan
12-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys! I just picked up a wolverine jig and plan to get it set up this weekend. Ill let you know how I make out. One other concern that I have is that my tools have shorter handles, will this make a big difference?

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Jason - the instructions will show you how to set everything up and you will find that short handles will not be a problem.

Charles McKinley
12-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Jason,

You will love the Wolverine jig. It makes getting repeatable bevels easy and I think has saved me a lot of steel.