PDA

View Full Version : Another shotgun ?¿?

Jim King
12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Can anyone tell me about this ? It looks about the size of a 410 but is a black powder or something. Cannot find anything on the internet. The make is F. DUMOULIN & Co.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2006, 3:54 PM
Looks like a mid 1800's Double Barrel. Could be about a 54 cal., but I haven't seen them in a double.

Bruce

James Carmichael
12-28-2006, 6:06 PM
I believe Dumoulin was(is?) a Belgian gun maker. Definitely a muzzleloader which used percussion caps. The patchbox on the butt leads me to believe it is a rifle vs a shotgun, though muzzleloaders often went both ways. Can you make out rifling grooves in the barrels?

.410 bore is almost exactly .45 caliber, but the only way to know for sure is to slug it.

On second look, there's proof marks on the bottom of the barrels. You might try The Blue Book of Gun Values (just google them and you'll find their site). I seem to recall their old paper books had a section on proof marks.

Jim King
12-30-2006, 12:10 PM
These are the marks that appeared on the underside of the barrel. Does anyone have any idea about them. They are crudley hand stamped. The barrel is 29 inches long and the bores are about half inch. The stock is very short as if made for a woman. Definitly twisted barrels now that it is clean..

One thing I forgot is that the gun problaly was brought here to the Amazon in the late 1800´s during the rubber boom days.