PDA

View Full Version : Resaw, Veneer & planer

Doug Mason
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I have a question on veneering (I'll have to buy a book on it!); after resawing to about 1/16, using a one inch carbide balde, what is the best way to smooth out the band-saw cut side? I tried running it through my planer (a MM FS35), but it ate it up. Should I try to attach it to a thicker board and run it through (but how would I attach it)? I'm using the palner to get a uniform thickness.

Thanks

Brad Olson
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Drum sander is always the best, but if you only have a planer you can use two strategies and one additional strategy since this is the neander forum

1) double stick tape the veneer to another board or some plywod. Take just enough passes to get the veneer even, but not necessarily smooth. Use this surface with a few minor imperfections as the glue surface

2) Veneer the panel with the rough bandsawn surface on the outside and then run the panel through the planer. If you use this strategy, 1/16" is probably too thin, because you will get a small amount of warpage during the veneer process.

3) Use a smooth plane or scraper plane to surface away the marks. Usually you will have to double stick tape the veneer to your bench or a backerboard. I used this technique for quite a while and it worked well. I typically used the hand planed surface with a few imperfections as the glue surface.