PDA

View Full Version : Pen Re-Work

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I really do listen to what you guys say...most of the time anyway.;) The pen is spalted Pecan and The Robusto line. Here is the rework. It was my first pen that a number of you commented on in this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44956
Once again thanks for the direction you offered.:)

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Much nicer. I used to mine to fat too. But have found people like classic shapes better.

Bob

Paul Douglass
12-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I vote for the "after":)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I vote for the "after":) Thanks Paul, actually the pecan was a scrap I was about to throw out. You even have me voting for the after version.

Nancy Laird
12-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Beautiful - and I vote for the "after" version too. As Bob said, most people want the classic look rather than the more "exotic" profiles.

My question, how did you get it apart to re-turn the bottom barrel?

Nancy

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2006, 10:45 AM
My question, how did you get it apart to re-turn the bottom barrel?

Nancy Very carefully... I used a long shank, flat end punch and light to medium taps with a small hammer on the ridge of the inserts inside the brass tube. I think I was lucky.:eek:

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Nice revision, Christopher. Pens not only need to be beautiful, they need to be usable...your new versions meet both requirements.

Jon Shively
12-28-2006, 1:33 PM
Christopher, like Nancy I was wondering while reading how you got it apart to rework then decided you turned another and that was that. Then go further down and actually find out you did tear it apart successfully! Way to go!! Really like the second one better also but really impressed with the tear down and reassembly!!

John Hart
12-28-2006, 1:41 PM
Yup...me too. "After" is winning. Great looking pen Chris!:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2006, 1:41 PM
Chris, I also like the new design but it made me wonder how you like the fit of the new version -vs- the original. Some of us out here have a hard time writing with thin pens/pencils - so I have to think there is a market for the fatter pens also.

Keith Burns
12-28-2006, 1:49 PM
Chris, I too like the reworked classical design better. Very well done, redone:) :)

Robert McGowen
12-28-2006, 2:06 PM
Reminds me of the before and after photo of my wife when she delivered our twins.....................:D Have to go with the after photo in both cases! Good job.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2006, 3:51 PM
Chris, I also like the new design but it made me wonder how you like the fit of the new version -vs- the original. Some of us out here have a hard time writing with thin pens/pencils - so I have to think there is a market for the fatter pens also.Steve the Robusto is a thick pen to start with and has a good feel in my hand. Nothing thin about this one. Also I did the same pen in Purple Heart as a gift for my daughter to give to he boss.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47864
They work in a bank and he is a big guy that is very particular about the feel and how a pen writes. He loves this one according to her and shows it off all over.:)

David Fried
12-28-2006, 7:00 PM
I'll go with before. Put it back! :eek: Just kidding :D Looks great and I'll echo the increased usability sentiment. Nice scraps!!

I managed to tke one apart once ... quite a trick ... great job!

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2006, 7:06 PM
Beautiful job Chris. I like the after much better.

Gilbert Vega
12-28-2006, 8:11 PM
I like the after as well. That spalted pecan doesn't look like some I
ve turned. Yours looks so rich. What was the finish?

Paul Engle
12-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Nice work Chris, the " rework" looks more in tune with the demensions of the pen, I will be sending some pen blank material as the red fir has split some what, and the stump piece is still on the stump and will be harvested this spring when I can get back to it . I will enclose the spilt piece as it may make for pen blanks.

Jeffrey L Nolan
12-30-2006, 8:10 AM
Nice on the both counts but do like second better.

Great job

Ernie Nyvall
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm with the after... nice save Chris.

Tom Sherman
12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I like em too Chris, even though they are not Oak.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I like em too Chris, even though they are not Oak.That's OK Tom, I have an Oak HF close to done and I will post this Weekend if all goes well.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone for all the comments. See, even Old Dog's can change the shape of their bone!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-30-2006, 11:01 AM
I like the after as well. That spalted pecan doesn't look like some I
ve turned. Yours looks so rich. What was the finish?
The way I got the richness was to BLO it before the final finish was applied.:)

Corey Hallagan
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I like the reworked pens much better Chris. They look great!

Corey