PDA

View Full Version : Do I need this?

Lori Kleinberg
12-28-2006, 9:18 AM
I have about $160 in Home Depot gift cards and was wondering if I need the Rigid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander? I haven't really decided on a specialty for my woodworking. I try to make whatever strikes my fancy. As soon as I get caught up on my other projects I would like to try making boxes (regular and bandsawn). Have most other power tools. For sanders I have a portable 3x21 belt sander and a 6" ROS.
So should I buy this or spend money on something else :confused: . I could always use so more Jorgie clamps ;) .

Robert Mahon
12-28-2006, 9:36 AM
I have an Oscillating Spindle sander that I use a lot. When you get used to having one, it's hard to imagine not.

Had the RIGID been available at the time, I would have gone that route.

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 9:43 AM
Folks who own them like them very much. Reviews have been good, too. My OSS gets a lot of use...I think you would find the same to be true no matter what kind of projects you get involved in.

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I got one five or six years ago. I still have use for it even though I've since gotten a 6"x89" horizontal belt sander. The Ridgid as you know converts and serves two functions, and that's a good thing in a small shop. If it crapped out, I'd buy another one the next day.

Just keep the idler roller lubed with heavy grease (narrow end of the belt carrier). It's got a brass bushing and needs attention once in a while. Mine needed to be replaced - a simple and cheap job, but... you get what you pay for.

Bruce Page
12-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Lori, one of the recent magazines had an article on spindle sanders and spoke well of the Rigid. They did say that the dust collection wasn’t very good compared to some of the others, but I think that was their only complaint with it. I have the Delta “Boss” that I don’t use all that often but it’s great to have when I need it.

Lori Kleinberg
12-28-2006, 6:09 PM
Thanks guys :) . I think I will probably get to HD this weekend and pick up the sander. I love new tools ;)

Gary Keedwell
12-28-2006, 6:19 PM
:rolleyes: Seen it in a magazine the other day. It got best tool and best buy.

Gary K.

Jesse Cloud
12-28-2006, 6:39 PM
Hey Lori.
I would go for it. The spindle sander lets you do curved work. Not only does it sand the curves in your workpiece, but it helps make templates which you can take to the router and route the curved shape consistently on your workpieces.

Its on my list, soon as I can get rid of some stuff to make room for it.

Ellen Benkin
12-28-2006, 8:13 PM
I also saw the review and thought "I have to have this". But I'm waiting for a terrific sale. I have access to a spindle sander and I find it to be very useful so I'm sure I would use it.

Lori Kleinberg
01-01-2007, 10:18 AM
OK, got all my gift cards together, convinced my son to come along to help carry and went to HD on Sunday to purchase the Rigid Oscillating Spindle Sander :) . They were all sold out :( . The guy checked and there wasn't one to be had in the city :mad: . Had already checked online and it wasn't available. :eek: The guy said they should be getting more in about 10 days. Now, I really wasn't in a rush to get it ;) , I've still got to figure out where I am going to put it, but you know when you make up your mind to get something, there is nothing worse than going home empty handed.

Don Bullock
01-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Often that's what happens when you go to purchase a good tool. They are usually overstocked with the mediocre ones. Let us know how you like it. That's a tool I'm thinking of adding to me shop. Others may be as well.

Keith Barkhau
01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey Lori,

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I thought I'd throw in one more positive review for the Ridgid OSS. I've had mine for about 6 years now and still use it regularly--for the money I think its hard to beat. As someone above said, if mine died tomorrow I'd run out and pick up another one. I'm sorry your HD is out of stock right now, but I think its definitely worth the wait.

Dan Forman
01-01-2007, 5:09 PM
Well, I bought one about a week ago and brought it back the same day. It would probably work ok as a spindle sander, but the belt sanding function was a big disappointment. I didn't try the spindle, as I already have the Jet benchtop model.

I was unable to get the Rigid table square to the belt all across the length, if it was square in one place, it was not so in another. This was dispite fiddling with the fine adjust set screws. Even when it did register as mostly square, it would not sand a square edge due to variations in the platen. I wanted something to sand outside curves, which is not the optimal use of the spindle.

For a spindle sander, would look hard at the Boss, then get a better belt sander when you can afford it.

Dan

Kurt Strandberg
01-01-2007, 6:01 PM
I thought I read somewhere onthis forum that replacement for the spindle were not available.

Maybe I'm wrong though

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 6:12 PM
I'll give a dissenting opinion :D. You can easily use your drill press as a spindle sander--no it won't oscillate, but I would start out this way and see if you use it enough to justify a dedicated machine. I made a spindle from a large bolt, a rubber drum from Sears and a couple bolts. I started out with that, then bought a BOSS which I really didn't use enough to justify the space it took up. I've since sold the BOSS.

Greg Funk
01-01-2007, 7:19 PM
I got one for christmas and have already found it to be very handy. I don't worry about whether the table can be made precisely 90 to the belt as I don't plan on using this function for joinery and it's close enough for me.

My wife tried to pick it up at the local Home Depot but they were out as well so she ordered in on-line and it was delivered in a few days.

Greg

Marcus Carr
01-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I own this sander and use it all the time. I would recommend it.

Marcus