PDA

View Full Version : Off into the abyss......

Jason Morgan
12-28-2006, 8:56 AM
Santa Clause (my family) was quite good to me this year. Seems that all of my hinting about wanting to get into turning paid off.

1 Jet MiniVS Lathe.........check
1 Jet Mini Lathe Extension..........check
1 set HSS turning tools..........check
1 Nova Midi Chuck..........check
1 Woodcraft slow speed grinder..........check
4 24" Irwin Quick Clamps..........check
26pc. Craftsman Screwdriver Set..........check

I know I know, no pics, didn't happen. I plan to post the proof this evening.

One concern with the Woodcraft grinder though. I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and turned it on. It makes a buzzing sound and appears to be spinning the wrong direction. It spun up to what I would think is the correct speed (didn't tach it though). Are things wired wrong? assembled wrong? or am I missing something? I have it in the truck to exchange so Ill update after I talk to the folks at Woodcraft. Another question, how much material should I have to take off with the dressing wheel? I noticed that when the grinder spun up there was a slight bit of vibration in it which I guess could be due to the bad wiring or unbalanced wheels.

Ho Ho Ho...

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2006, 9:00 AM
While your at woodcraft get one last thing. a wolverine sharpening system. then your set!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2006, 9:08 AM
Hello Jason and welcome to the wonderful world of turning!

I agree with Bob that a sharpening system would help you out. Also - don't forget to get some type of eye/face protection, dust collection, lighting, bench to mount your lathe on ... oh yeah, that's why it is called the abyss!

Also suggest you get a picture of your family and hang it on the wall so you can see it when you look up from your lathe - won't be seeing much of them anymore!

Ted Calver
12-28-2006, 9:10 AM
Jason,
Can you elaborate on "the wrong direction". The wheel should be spinning toward you from the top.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I know I know, no pics, didn't happen. I plan to post the proof this evening. Great Gloat!! Looking forward to the Pics!:)

Jason Morgan
12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Ted...the whee is turnint up and away from me as I face it. There are arrows on the guards Pointing from the top of the guard down to my feet (proper spin direction) that point in the proper direction and it is turning opposite to them.

Two possibilities as I see it.

1. it was assembled wrong and the motor is wired and spinning properly (if I were to spin the motor 180 degrees on the mount and swap the guards it would turn in the right direction.)

2. It is assembled correctly and the motor is wired wrong (this is my suspicion and is probably easy to fix, but I would rather have one tha came off the line assembled correctly)

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Jason great gloat. Only thing you need as mentioned is a wolverine sharpening jig. Enjoy.

Nancy Laird
12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Jason, yes, you have entered the abyss, and you are a goner. Steve mentioned a few more things that will empty your wallet, but now you have to consider pen kits, bottle-stopper kits, letter-opener kits, turning blanks, finishing materials, sandpaper, drilling vise, pen press, cute little boxes to put your pens, etc. in...... I think you get the picture. It never stops.

NICE gloat. Enjoy!

Nancy