PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Switch

John Branam
12-28-2006, 7:53 AM
I would like to make a power switch for the router table I am building. Has anyone done this? If so how did you wire it? I want to plug the router into a switch then plug the switch into an outlet.

Aaron Beaver
12-28-2006, 7:56 AM
I used the one by Bench Dog (http://www.benchdog.com/powerloc.htm), and it has worked nicely. It has a safety feature on it where it can't be turned on easily, you have to lift up or push down (don't remeber) on the orange button to turn it on.

Dave Falkenstein
12-28-2006, 9:19 AM
Rockler sells one that works well.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-28-2006, 9:21 AM
I bought mine at Rockler and love it. It has as second connection for a shop vac that works great in most tables.

Robert Mahon
12-28-2006, 9:34 AM
I like Dave and Kelly's suggestion. But, being the 'hard-headed' guy that I am, I made my own (in truth, I didn't know about the Rockler unit). When turned on it activates both the router and built-in shop-Vac.

A good way to go.

Dan Gill
12-28-2006, 9:35 AM
I just used a strip plug. Maybe one day I'll get one with a big red "Off" button.

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 9:51 AM
I used a combo switch/outlet mounted on the front of my router table cabinet. This provides a way to turn the router inside the cabinet on/off as well as an auxiliary outlet (unswitched) for convenience. There is a single outlet inside the case to supply power to the router and it's controlled by the switch. The type of wire you use depends on whether or not it's concealed in the cabinet or open to the shop. For the former, you can use romex if it's properly secured because it's not exposed. If you don't have a cabinet, use rubber jacketed cable. (or chop up an extension cord that is rated appropriately for your usage) Your cord to the wall outlet needs strain relief at the cabinet/stand and should be either the rubber coated cable purchased by the foot or another hunk of a "former extension cord" of appropriate rating. Mine cord to the wall is a piece of orange extension cord from one that was, umm...whacked...by a hedge trimmer. :)

In retrospect, if I built another one, I'd eschew the switch/outlet arrangement and use a safety-type switch with a recessed "on" button and a bigger red "off" paddle or something of that nature.

Mike Wilkins
12-28-2006, 9:55 AM
There is an article in one of the router books on building a switched outlet. I am at work right now, so I don't have access to my shop library. I built it and it works well. I may have to respond back tomorrow after I check it out at home. Sorry.

John Branam
12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
There is an article in one of the router books on building a switched outlet. I am at work right now, so I don't have access to my shop library. I built it and it works well. I may have to respond back tomorrow after I check it out at home. Sorry.

Thanks everyone for the input. Mike if you could relay that information tomorrow I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to rebuild the router cabinet/table set up I already have in the extension wing of my TS.

Larry James
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I would like to make a power switch for the router table I am building. Has anyone done this? If so how did you wire it? I want to plug the router into a switch then plug the switch into an outlet.
Do a Google search for: woodworking router+switch

Use SMC search function:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34508&highlight=router+switch
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31191&highlight=router+switch
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20257&highlight=router+switch

I don't recommend the type with the switch and receptacle for router plug both on the front - awkward to use.

Larry

fred woltersdorf
12-28-2006, 11:26 AM
here's what i did for my router table setup.switch is off a dewalt jobsite table saw mounted in a plastic outlet box.i put an outlet inside the dust collection box and pluged the router into that.i've had this setup for about 3 yrs and have been happy with it.

glenn bradley
12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I used a billy-pedal for awhile and still consider it to be a good option if mounted so it is always in the same place. I now hav a large paddle switch that I can hit with my hip without removeing my hands from the work. Same on the TS. I like this the best. As for what the switch turns on and off (DC or Shop-vac) that's easily handled and comes second to safety. For not much more than the cost of an insurance co-pay at the hospital I bought a good switch.

Bill White
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I too use one. Keeps me aware, and if something goes South, I just step off the pedal. Had the router motor come out of the base one time. My fault 'cause I didn't tighten it well. Now that was an interesting time. Motor running with a roundover bit just spinnin' away. It was right after that experience when I bought the switch.
Bill

John Branam
12-28-2006, 1:58 PM
What is a billy pedal?

jonathan snyder
12-29-2006, 1:30 AM
I picked up a nice one at Sears, $20.00 IIRC. Large paddle switch on the front to shut off, lift the paddle and hit the switch to turn it on. It has two outlets on the back side, one for the router and the other for the small shop vac I use for dust collection. I run an extension cord in through he back of the cabinet. I mounted it low down on the front of the cabinet at knee height, for quick & easy shutoff.

Jonathan

Bill Neely
12-29-2006, 1:31 AM
Rockler's router table switch is on sale right now for 14.99.

Scott Rebello
12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
MLCSwoodworking.com has theirs on sale 14.99 with free shipping. Just ordered one last weekend. Scott

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 1:07 PM
Billy switch - A footswitch. Some are "deadman" meaning you must apply pressure to keep it on. Mine is an on/off type but I kept it under foot.