PDA

View Full Version : I need someone good with tools to help, Please!

John Sherrod
12-28-2006, 7:25 AM
Hi, I am an amateur woodworker who's only schooling on it has been watching with amazement Norm Abrams and the router workshop guys. I had an opportunity to buy a whole woodshops' worth of tools, which I did. I have used them quite a bit over the last eight years, and they have served me well. But, one thing I have virtually NO idea how to do is tune them. I bought something called a Jointer pal and changed the blades in my Jet jj6csx, and have YET to be able to get it right, so I can't use it. I noticed recently that my table saw blade is askew of a true 90 degree angle, and I have altered the fences' track accordingly(it was completely pulling the board away from the fence), but it makes for really lousy tenons with my tenoning Jig(the blade facing the back is about 1/32" to the left, it is a delta contractors saw if that helps) I have a bandsaw (again, a jet, 12") that I have never been able to get right. I wound up using my jig saw for anything in that general area. I bought a timber wolf blade, still have it wrapped in the origional packaging, because I took the advice of a guy at woodcrafters who said that all i needed to do was adjust the tracking, and tighten the tension a bit. lol, well, I did, and the blade that was in it worked well for about twenty seconds until it snapped.
Anyways, does anyone know of someone in the pinellas area of florida who knows how to tune this stuff? I would love to get it working right.:confused:

Randy Carver
12-28-2006, 7:47 AM
Sorry, I'm not near Florida. For the jointer knives, watch Bob Vaughn's video here -
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2983839096587014177&q=jointer+knives

Don't give up!
Randy

Jim Hager
12-28-2006, 8:00 AM
I teach a class in basic woodwork machines in my home shop but it's not near Florida. Arkansas. You might check around to see if there is a school where you can take classes. This class I do is for just what you are needing plus the safety of using those tools which I assume that you need as well.

There are also some really great books out there but I don't have a title for you. If you are near a barnes and noble or another book store check with them for the kind of stuff you are needing.

Al Willits
12-28-2006, 8:07 AM
If you have a basic understanding of machice tools, I'd second the Vaugh video, watch it several times and take one set up at a time.
If you don't have a dial indicator get one, they are cheap and enco has a set that has multiple tips for it for under $25 if I remember right.

Biggest thing is to go slow and watch the blades, they're sharp.

Al...don't ask how I know....:)

skip coyne
12-28-2006, 8:07 AM
start at the woodcraft in clearwater

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/Default.aspx?locate=state&state=FL

try the st petersburg woodcrafters guild
http://www.stpetewoodguild.com/

Don Bullock
12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I would also suggest going to your closest WoodCraft store. The one closest to me has classes all the time. They even have a room set aside for the classes. I'm impressed at their offerings and their facility. I plan to take a few when I get the chance. You might also try local adult education facilities. Here in California our public school systems can have adult education units. Many of them offer classes in woodworking.

Mark Neighbors
12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
John:

I have the same jointer that you do and recentley tuned mine. It's amazing how much better (and quicker) the results are!

I used the following I found on the net and it worked great for me.

http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/JointerTune.asp

Dealing with bolt creep on the jack screws took a few tries but now it's a piece of cake.

As for tablesaw tune-up - I got a TS Aligner Jr. several years ago and it works great for me.

Good Luck!

John Sherrod
12-29-2006, 9:34 AM
Sorry, I'm not near Florida. For the jointer knives, watch Bob Vaughn's video here -
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2983839096587014177&q=jointer+knives

Don't give up!
Randy

I watched the video, and it was very informative, but, it gave me alot more confusion than answers. If I saw it right, then he zeroed out the indicator to the top of the wheel that held the knives, as well as the wheel being the same heigth as the outfeed table. This is very confusing to me. I would think that the wheel would be under the heigth of the outfeed table and the knives themselves would be the same heigth as the outfeed table. From what he said at the beginning, the knives should be 1/16th of an inch above the wheel, and therefore, the wheel would be 1/16th of an inch below the outfeed if logic took it to the end of the equasion. Did I misunderstand? And I would love to use the dial indicator as well to true up the table saw, but, where would absolute zero be? if all it has is a flat magnetic base, with nothing protruding below it to fit in the miter slot, then it would all be an approximation anyways. How do you overcome that?

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
It took me some looking around but once I got on the right track I did find a good selection of classes through the state school system for beginner woodworking classes. Good luck and sorry I can't be more specific, I'm on the left coast.

P.s. One of my best leads was finding a school that actually still had a woodshop program and contacted the instructor.

Robert Mahon
01-01-2007, 9:22 AM
I would suggest you visit your local? Woodcraft store. They are usually staffed by very helpful fellow woodworkers and are free with their advice.
So much so in fact, that I often wonder if their 1st mission is to be helpful, followed by selling stuff.

I've been to 5 stores in various places and, IMO, they are great. They sell good stuff too. I buy most of my wood there as well.

Finally; NO, I am not affiliated with Woodcraft in any way other than as a very satisfied and loyal customer.

James Duxbury
01-01-2007, 10:00 AM
John,

WoodCraft is OK for a one time class. They are expensive for what you get. I would suggest joining a wood working club. Or a wood turning club. It is like $25 a year and a great recourse for all of this type of thing. There are demonstrations, projects, tools, and members that have experience with each of them. I belong to two of them in NC.
Google the American Association of Woodturners, I am sure there is one in your area. You don’t have to join right away. Just go and see what they do. It is a new world.