PDA

View Full Version : Miter Gauge calibrating the ruler??

Aaron Beaver
12-28-2006, 7:09 AM
I have an Incra 1000se and have a question. Anytime I want to cut 45's (or any angle for that matter, not just 45's) I have to move the fence over to miss the table saw blade. This also means that it is now uncalibrated as far as using the ruler is concerned, also means that when I move it back to zero I have to calibrate it everytime to use the ruler on it. I would like to use the ruler on it but because of all this I don't because it seems more trouble than its worth.

Is there a good miter gauge or sled out there where you don't have to re-calibrate it everytime. Maybe everyone has to do this and I just don't realize it but it seems like there would be an easier way.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave Bureau
12-28-2006, 7:44 AM
I use the jointech smart miter. its dead on all the time.
Dave

Aaron Beaver
12-28-2006, 9:54 AM
I use the jointech smart miter. its dead on all the time.
Dave

Thanks I will take a look at one of those. It looks like from the website that you can use the ruler at any angle and it will be correct, which might be what you are saying. I will read more about it and see what I think.

Dave Bureau
12-28-2006, 10:08 AM
there web site has an online video you might want to check out
Dave

Jake Helmboldt
12-28-2006, 1:26 PM
I have the 1000SE and your question just gave me a thought; create a wood shim to place between the blade and fence to reset it when moving from 90 to 45. That way it is always in the same place and you won't have to remeasure or move the ruler on the top. Just make sure it rests against the plate of the blade and not the tooth so it registers the correct spacing each time.

JH

Aaron Beaver
12-28-2006, 1:45 PM
I have the 1000SE and your question just gave me a thought; create a wood shim to place between the blade and fence to reset it when moving from 90 to 45. That way it is always in the same place and you won't have to remeasure or move the ruler on the top. Just make sure it rests against the plate of the blade and not the tooth so it registers the correct spacing each time.

JH

I was considering making marks, but yours sound a little better. But I still would have to move the ruler to actually use it on 45 or any angle cuts, then I would have to move the ruler again when set at a different angle or back to 90.

there web site has an online video you might want to check out
Dave

I wathced both videos and was impressed. I really like the way it works and the best thing is once you have it calibrated it stays calibrated no matter what angle you use. Looks like a good design.

JayStPeter
12-28-2006, 2:35 PM
I have the 1000SE and SmartMiter. The SmartMiter comes with a "calibration block" that I use much more often on the 1000SE as the SmartMiter rarely requires calibration (only when I do something stupid).

Charles McKinley
12-28-2006, 9:16 PM
Hi Aaron,

If you do a search here on the SmartMitre (or jointech in general) You will find an overwhelming positive response. Having the fence measurement dead on regaurdless of the angle you are cutting is one of the things that really sold me on the unit.

Paul Gauthier
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
There should be a stop on the fence so that when you move it back it goes back to zero. Mine does.