PDA

View Full Version : Tensioner for BS question

Kurt Krauter in Indy
02-26-2003, 2:54 PM
Hello folks:

I have decided that I'm tired of forgetting to de-tension my BS blades and am looking for that aftermarket detensioning thingy for a BS. I understand that it is basically a lever type of action that attaches to the existing spring mechanism.

The vital stats on my BS - it is a Jet 18" and is the model just prior to the latest one they recently came out with.

My question....who or where do I turn to for this device? Is it fairly easy to install and is it worth it or do I attempt to change my mindset on the state I leave my BS when done?

Thanks for the input.

Kurt

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-26-2003, 3:04 PM
Try giving Louis Iturra at Iturra Design a call
His phone number is 888-722-7078
Also ask him to send you his catalog of accessories for Delta and JET and Import Bandsaws.
Address for Iturra Design is:
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, FL 32225-1332
:)

Kurt Krauter in Indy
02-26-2003, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Phil Phelps
02-26-2003, 4:26 PM
My 18" Craftsman has been in my shop since 1960. And never, have I ever, de-tensioned the blade. I also have a 24" Grizzly and the same applies. And, as for tensioning the blade, I just do it by feel. If I'm missing something, I'm listening. ;)

Chris McKimson
02-26-2003, 4:45 PM
Kurt,

I bought the Carter "Quick Release" for my Jet 14" bandsaw from Woodcraft, using my birthday coupon (happy birthday to me :D ) I haven't installed it yet, but the directions are geared toward the 14" ers. A quick call to Carter (free long distance) confirms as of right now, it doesn't work for the Jet 18" bandsaw. They did say they were working on other products, without being specific.

Most of the time I try to de-tension the bandsaw blade, but figured this would make it easier.