PDA

View Full Version : Wood Veneer on Corian

Larry Robinson
12-27-2006, 8:03 PM
I want to put a wood venneer over corian (about 18" x 18"). Could I use the pressure sensitive veneers or would it be better to use glue on type veneers? What glue would you recommend?
Thanks
Larry

Howard Rosenberg
12-27-2006, 8:21 PM
.... why use corian for a substrate?

Per Swenson
12-27-2006, 9:02 PM
All right I am guessing here...

only because you seem to be a little shy on information.

You know, is this a 18 x 18 piece of veneer going on a larger sheet of corian?

or 18 x 18 going on 18 x 18?

Epoxy.

Per

Larry Robinson
12-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Howard, I am trying to acheive a certain look. The veneer will be carved leaving the corian as the background color.

Per, yes, the corian and the veneer will be 18 x 18

Neil Lamens
12-28-2006, 8:59 AM
Hey Larry.......

Got me curious!!!

As per Per......epoxy first thought. Begain to think of the corian adhesive as being an epoxy that chemically adhere parts, I use West Sys, so I'd test a few drops on the solid surface and see what kind of reaction occurs.

If favorable I'd scuff sand the solid surface and epoxy.

Love to see the end result!!!!!

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Neil the "real" Corian adhesive isn't really like epoxy outside of any fillers...it's a solvent that literally welds the stuff together into a single unit. But for adhering the wood to the solid surface, I believe that epoxy would work fine. http://thistothat.com might be a good place to look, too.

Joe Jensen
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Howard, I am trying to acheive a certain look. The veneer will be carved leaving the corian as the background color.

Per, yes, the corian and the veneer will be 18 x 18
Given that you want to carve through the wood, here are my thoughts.
1) You need to make sure that the wood is very well attached. I've used some pre-glued wood and it's doesn't stick that well.
2) You need to make sure the glue layer is very thin and consistent. You don't want the glue showing when you carve.

Mike Henderson
12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
It sounds like what you want to wind up with is the Corian "revealed" through the veneer. The technique you mentioned - carving the veneer after gluing - may not work well, depending upon what effect you want. I'd be concerned with how to get all the glue and veneer off the corian in the reveal locations, and keep the gloss of the corian, especially if you're going to have small reveal sections.

Once you lay out your reveal areas, you'll have to cut the outline in the veneer then find a way to scrape the veneer and glue off the corian, without excess marking of the corian. The better the glue, the harder it will be to remove it in the reveal areas. It'll be really hard to polish the corian in small reveal areas.

An alternate approach could be to cut your veneer before laying it, then only lay the cut pieces.

Another approach could be to apply the veneer, then mask the areas to be kept, then sandblast the veneer in the reveal areas. This will leave a matt finish in the reveal areas.

But maybe I don't understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Mike