PDA

View Full Version : Image file question

Gary Hair
12-27-2006, 6:08 PM
I need to divide an image up for dye sublimating onto tile, although the same scenario would work for engraving. Here is the scenario:
The image is 36" x 36" and the tiles are 12" x 12".
At first glance you might think that simply creating a 3x3 grid (Corel X3) and using powerclip to place the image in the grid would work, but here is the issue. The tiles need to have a bit of overlap to allow the image to bleed over the edge of the tile. This isn't as simple as taking the 12"x12" section and enlarging by a small amount, it has to be overlap from the image next to it. So what I really need is to have 9 images that are 12.1" x 12.1" that overlap the image next to it by .1".
Does this make any sense at all? It's really much harder to describe in writing than to just think it out or say it...
Do you have any ideas how to do this without manually placing each section into a powerclip?
There is a program that does this, YottaPrint, but the printing must be done from within the program, it prints magenta and the emails I have sent to support have gone unanswered. Hopefully my refund request will be answered...
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Gary

Luke Phillips
12-27-2006, 8:35 PM
Gary: I use MURAL 8 (http://dyesubinks.com) the program allows for edge bleed and is very easy to use. Try the free download to see if it will work for your project.

Brian Conklin
12-27-2006, 8:53 PM
If I remember right, make your 12.1 grid and group them. All the squares are now grouped....powerclip the image into the group....then break apart. Your image will be separated to print each tile.

Dave Jones
12-27-2006, 9:31 PM
I don't think you really want your images to overlap. What you need is to compensate for the width of the grout between tiles, where there is no image.

If the grout is going to space the tiles say .2" apart, then make the boxes 12.2" square. Which makes it 36.6" square for the total image. Then when you power clip you get a .1" extra around each square.

If the width of the grout will be .1" then you make the boxes 12.1 and the full image 36.3" square. That gives you a .05" of extra image around the edge of each tile.

Gary Hair
12-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I was just being too nit-picky and the overlap I was trying achieve was to eliminate a problem that really doesn't exist. I have heard from people on two other forums that the "problem" isn't really visible when people look at the murals I am going to be making.

I will make the individual tiles a bit larger than the actual tile to allow for bleed around the edges, but that's as far as it really needs to go.

Thank you for your help!

Gary

Mark Plotkin
12-27-2006, 10:55 PM
gary,

x3 has tiling built in. go to help and seach for tiling. it is part of the print function. you can set the overlap and bleed. this way you can layout a 36x36 document and tell it a 3x3 tiling with the settings you want.

Carol VanArnam
12-28-2006, 12:34 AM
:confused: :confused: Looks like Corel x3 has a tile option but does anyone know if Corel 12 has it? I've not been able to figure this out on my version of Corel. I bought some wood flooring I want to engrave but can't figure out the tile option.....

Gary Shoemake
12-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Try this link it has helped me. http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_tiling.htm

Good luck

Roy Brewer
12-28-2006, 8:24 PM
Looks like Corel x3 has a tile option but does anyone know if Corel 12 has it?

Carol,

The short answer is yes, X3 Tiles from the Print engine. The correct answer, however, is that most of us don't use that. Understanding and using the PowerClip function is a far better solution.