PDA

View Full Version : Turner wantabe

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-27-2006, 5:38 PM
Well, since I've officially sold off my frame making business, complete with all of my tools, started a sandcarving business....I find myself reading the posts here and thinking....hmmm, just maybe I can renew the elements that I once found in working with wood.

Now, I don't want to build up an inventory of $25k worth of tools again, nor rent the space that all that takes...so what to do?

Once upon a time, I turned a few pieces of wood...actually more than just a few. At one time my daughters and I kept 3 lathes busy for many evening hours making pens.

Of course, today, there is such a selection of kits available and the woods, oh the beauty of the woods!

So, I'm dreaming about turning chunks into cylinders, again...like in pens, wine stoppers..you know the drill.

There are plenty of posts here regarding which lathe everyone likes, usually the one in their shop! I'm leaning towards the Fische lathe from Berea. Maybe because since they were about the only game in town when I was heavy into pens and they treated me very well, maybe cuz I've never seen it mentioned here by anyone (and I like to be different).

Fortunately, I either had the foresight to not sell my collection of some 40 turning tools (or I refused to let em go cheap enuf!), I won't have to purchase these this time. I will have to repurchase the mandrels, drill bits (and a new drill press).

The piece of information I have not seen mentioned here, is how are you all drilling those wonderful long holes in the blanks. This was always my biggest challange. Invariably, they came out the other end, well off center, or would split out the side. Perhpas it was the pressure of doing large qty's at a time, probably technique. I'd love to hear about your methods.

Another question comes from poor memory. Are most of the blanks one can purchase on the net long enough for the bulk of the kits avail and is there enough material that one could cut them in half with a chop saw...another tools I held onto...or do I need to consider a bandsaw?

So, I'm well on my way to rekindle my love for woodworking, if only in a small way.

Looking forward to your posts, keep up the inspirational posts and pictures, mine are coming.

Doug from Oregon!

John Hart
12-27-2006, 5:42 PM
Welcome Doug!! I was at Berea looking at their lathes.....Well...I was drooling over the bowl blanks and fondled the lathes a little.:rolleyes: They swear by them and use them to make all their demo pens and stuff. I don't much about them other than that......and that they are very pretty.;)

Corey Hallagan
12-27-2006, 5:57 PM
That is a fine lathe Doug, and it will come with a 60 degree live point that you need to do pens with and most don't. All the handles are metal and not plastic. Very nice lathe in my opinion.

Corey

Joe Melton
12-27-2006, 6:24 PM
I think the problem of drilling through the center of a pen blank has been resolved by the use of the self-centering vises that are commonly available now. You still need a drill press with long-enough quill travel, though.
Joe

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-27-2006, 7:01 PM
Thanks Joe...any leads on where to get this vise?

Since I sold 3 Jet drill presses, I'm thinking now that I'll just pony up to the new Delta, variable speed with electronic info. I sorta like that depth reading, and it certainly has enough travel.

Doug

Stan Cook
12-27-2006, 7:28 PM
The vises can be purchased from PSI, WC, or CSU, but they are rather flimsy IMO. They will work, but they have quite a bit of flex to them and the guide rods keep coming loose.

The vise from PHDesigns is far superior and will handle stock up to about 2". I was lucky enough to get one from Paul earlier this year. It is pricey, but worth every penny.

Gary Herrmann
12-27-2006, 7:41 PM
Doug, I've had the Fisch lathe for about a year now and have been very happy with it. I also got a self centering pen blank vise from Lee Valley for my bday and have been very happy with it as well.

Oregon, huh? Great forests there. All that maple. Big leaf, curly... Maybe we can trade some wood chunks when you get set up.

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-27-2006, 8:21 PM
Gary...thanks for the info on the lathe...nice to know that someone else is using it. I just like the way it looks in the pictures and knowing that they use it for pens...for me, they are people when it comes to pen kits.

I'll see what I can do about some of the big leaf maple for you. I'm mobility challanged so it is unlikely that I will out waving a chainsaw about anymore but one never knows what one might come across.

Doug

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 8:52 PM
Doug, on your saw question, I personally think that a bandsaw is very complimentary to lathe work and safer to use on small things than a miter saw. And it opens up a way to quickly saw pen blanks and other turning material quickly. You don't need a "fine finish" so you can use an agressive blade and just be done with the job. The BS is fine for crosscutting, too, using a miter gage or sled for the scale you will be working in most of the time.

Bill Turpin
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
When drilling blanks on a drill press, keep air blowing on the top of the bit constantly. This cools and cleans the bit, which will keep it running more true. Lift the bit often, every 1/4" of cutting depth, at least. When oily drill chips jam the bit I poke it with a cheap 1" paint brush while it continues to spin.

I use a jig on a chop saw to cut blanks. Scrap plywood with a backboard, stop block, and DeStaco clamp to hold the cut off piece. Make it wide enough to hold together with full depth cutting. A 1" x 2" across front edge will strenghten entire jig. Allow blade to stop turning before lifting blade. This will keep small pieces from being dragged back into blade.

Commercial blanks are long enough to give a little piece of scrap. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Gary Herrmann
12-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Doug, don't worry about the maple, if you find some in the driveway, let me know. :D The only thing that bothers me about the LV pen vise is that if you don't set the depth stop on your drillpress correctly, you could blunt the tip of your bit on the metal base of the vise.

There is sufficient room to slip a piece of 1/4" ply under the self centering vise jaws, so that helps avoid the potential for blunting and I would suspect also allows you to avoid blowout - at least in the half dozen (ooh, I'm a vastly experienced pro) pen blanks I've drilled.

Oh, and I picked the lathe because of the good reviews and the fact that at the wwing show last year my wife (whose favorite color is blue) said "That's a pretty one. You can get that one if you want."