PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Mortisers - Educate me please

Todd Burch
11-13-2003, 7:30 PM
I like my router table (CMT Industrio), but it sucks for deep mortises (it takes too long via multiple passes and is WAY WAY too loud.)

Who's got a horizontal mortiser and what are the good ones? A few years ago, I ordered a Laguna Robland Combo machine video tape and remember some of the features I saw - like the handles to move clamped stock left & right and in & out (and up & down too?).

What types of cutters are used? What's the typical cutter RPM? Can I hog out in one pass?

Anyone make a good combo shaper/mortiser?

Thanks again - in advance - ye enlightened ones. Todd.

Bobby Hatfield
11-13-2003, 9:11 PM
I like my router table (CMT Industrio), but it sucks for deep mortises (it takes too long via multiple passes and is WAY WAY too loud.)

Who's got a horizontal mortiser and what are the good ones? Todd.

Todd, it takes about 4 passes to make a 1/2" x 1 1/2" deep x 4" long mortise in oak, quietly, in 15-20 seconds. The tool is like a snake's tongue, forked, don't know the name. On The ROJEK the table moves/motor is rigid, and it is the cheapest, about $1200, also has problems with long parts overhanging the table needing support. The motor/cutter movement type are in the $3000 range and would be less setup problems. Bobby

Jim Becker
11-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Todd, the MiniMax machine I just bought has a mortiser accessory available just like the Robland you mention. (I didn't buy it 'cause I don't have the space to be able to use it) But the operation is just as you describe...the cutter is stationary and the table moves in three axis to make the cut. There is a collet that installs on the end of the jointer/planer cutterhead that provides a place for the mortising bit to live during that setup. (It must be removed for J/P operation.

Of course, you could consider the JDS MultiRouter! It's a pretty incredible machine and will also do non-standard setups for offset and angled M&T joints. (It does the tenons, too) It's pricy at just under $3K. I believe that someone recently posted pictures here at SMC of a similar shop-built unit. There is also the Leigh M&T system that does a nice job. It might be a good compromise financially. I believe that Dave Arbuckle has one...perhaps you can make a field trip for a demonstration.

Bobby Hatfield
11-14-2003, 4:39 PM

Who's got a horizontal mortiser and what are the good ones? Todd.

Todd, here is a pic of the cutter for the mortise machine. It should have a trade name and probably a Mfg name, if anyone knows, please reply. Just looking at it will cause a person to avoid it carefully.

Dave Arbuckle
11-14-2003, 4:44 PM
There is also the Leigh M&T system that does a nice job. It might be a good compromise financially. I believe that Dave Arbuckle has one...perhaps you can make a field trip for a demonstration.

FMT not so good for deep mortises, you're limited by the bit length. Wicked fast, though. :)

Dave

Richard McComas
11-14-2003, 5:14 PM

Who's got a horizontal mortiser and what are the good ones? A few years ago, I ordered a Laguna Robland Combo machine video tape and remember some of the features I saw - like the handles to move clamped stock left & right and in & out (and up & down too?).

What types of cutters are used? What's the typical cutter RPM? Can I hog out in one pass?

Anyone make a good combo shaper/mortiser?

Thanks again - in advance - ye enlightened ones. Todd.

Todd, if you have deep pockets check out the Felder FD 250. It’s fairly expensive but also very versatile. On the FD 250, the motor moves and the table is stationary. Some of its features are a 3 hp motor, a table size of 21” x 12” expandable to 61” x 31”, Mortises width up to 10” and a depth up to 6 inches. Lot of accessories like a tilting motor +/- 45 degrees, adjustable stops, miter fence, doweling device, and a chisel-mortising device if you want to do any square cornered mortise.

I know several of the guys on the Felder Owner's Group run the FD 250 off a VFD to give them variable speed capability.

If you wish you can join the Felder Owners Group and ask any question you may have there. The guys there are extremely help.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking/

Charles McKinley
11-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi Todd,

There is a Robland Combomachine on the classified section.

Rob Russell
11-17-2003, 5:37 PM
Todd,

I have the Felder FD-250. It's a solid, well-made machine. FYI, Felder runs "Christmas Specials" every year. Right now the FD-250, with the variable speed/VFD built into it, is $2894 (vs. the normal price of $3445).

In the upper left picture from the Felder catalog image that Richard McComas posted, you can see (3) auxilliary table hanging off of the mortiser's main table. Those are accessories but they fit onto the other machines as well, like the jointer and planer infeed/outfeed and saw/shaper outfeed tables.

You can get a template for doing doweling. I also have the attachment for doing square mortises, although have never used it.

The nice thing about the FD-250 is that it's a standalone machine that can sit in the corner until you need it. From what I've read on the FOG (Felder Owner's Group that Richard mentioned), mounting and dismounting the attachments that go on the jointer/planer is nowhere nearly as convenient as the FD-250. I also believe the attachment lacks the capability to use those add-on table extensions.

I bought the FD-250 for floating mortise and tenon joinery for doors. I wanted something that could support a 7' oak board and, with the extensions, this'll do it. I suppose you could do the same with a couple of roller stands, because the board is clamped to the machine and eosn't move. On some mortisers the table moves (vs. the motor head) and that might be a bit problematic to use with roller stands.

I would verify that the tilting motor is still an option. It may well be, but I'd heard that Felder was going to be discontinuing that option.

FYI, The bits are called bird's mouth bits.

Rob