PDA

View Full Version : Screwdrider storage

Joe Trotter
12-27-2006, 3:43 PM
I have an abundance of screw dirvers. I need to replace my old wall mounted rack that I made out of pine with random holes drilled in it.

I was wodering what some of you have done to store your screwdrivers.

Thanks, Joe

glenn bradley
12-27-2006, 3:52 PM
I use a combination; wall rack like yours for the ones I'm always reaching for, the others are relegated to a drawer in plastic silverware dividers from the 99-cent store to keep them sorted.

Jeff Yates
12-27-2006, 4:06 PM
I'm actually building one of those right now...

38" wide, 1x8, tucked into a 37" 2x4, ends routed and then a pattern of holes drilled into the 1x8, except where the supports are located on the underside...

Mike Heidrick
12-27-2006, 4:07 PM
I use a dedicated drawer in the Sams club SS toolbox. Regular screwdrivers on the left, phillips on the right, all horizontal, all handles on the right, organized large to small. Best advice a farmer ever gave me on my toolbox setup.

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 5:58 PM
I was just considering the "screwdriver" question over the past few days. I have about three that I use consistently...#1 and #2 square drive drivers and a "combo" that does two sizes of Phillips and two flats. I'm going to make something to keep those handy and the rest will stay in a drawer somewhere. I may keep the stubby square and Phillips drivers out, too...but that's about it! Honestly, my solution will likely be something like what you want to replace, at least until I get a cabinet finished for under my bench.

Mike Seals
12-27-2006, 6:53 PM
I used two peices of 1/2 square tubing for rails. Welded them on some angle brackets and mounted them to the wall. The screwdrivers slide into the gap between the two rails. The beginning of the gap is small for the smaller screwdrivers and the gap size increases as it goes to the right. Works great!

Joe Trotter
12-27-2006, 7:38 PM

38" wide, 1x8, tucked into a 37" 2x4, ends routed and then a pattern of holes drilled into the 1x8, except where the supports are located on the underside...

I would like to see that if you have a picture.

Thanks, Joe

George Summers
12-27-2006, 8:08 PM
Just a 1 x 2 screwed to the wall with holes drilled in it. Small holes at each end and Phillips on the right and Slotted on the left, big in the middle, going to smallest at the ends.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=490&cat=198

George

Al Willits
12-27-2006, 8:27 PM
I was thinking my first answer was gonna be, all over the shop..so I can find them..:D
But I have a couple of mechanics tool boxes I keep them in.

Al

Jim O'Dell
12-27-2006, 8:45 PM
I've got 2 Snap-on wall boxes I received as payment for staying around to help close down a stereo shop I used to work at in the 80's when they went out of business.(CMC Stereo to those of you in the Mid-West) My luck, they still had tools in them!:eek: :D The back panel is made of partical board that has holes drilled in to it and chromed posts hammered into to create a 2" deep, slot open at the front to slide each screw driver onto. I'm sure you could do the same thing with a short section of hardwood dowel, maybe 3/16" diameter. Adjust the opening between the 2 pieces to fit the screwdriver shaft. Or maybe a piece of hardwood 1 X 2, and route slots into it and mount on the wall. Jim.

Carl Eyman
12-27-2006, 8:55 PM
I,too, have beaucoup screwdrivers. I try to store them near where I plan to use them. The ones I generally use for mechanical work are behind the bench where I do such work. For woodworking I generally use square drive; so those are stored near my woodworking bench. Then I have several in my mechanic's tool box that goes to off site jobs, etc.

Jeff Yates
12-27-2006, 9:41 PM

Ok, this isn't finished yet...this is an idea that actually struck me last night when I was stumbling out to the garage where my car tools are...I didn't have the right size in the woodshop to fix what I needed....this is still a work in progress, planning as well, so please feel free to critique my layout. I put an hour in last night cutting the boards down to size and routing the edges

So I bought a second set of screwdrivers on sale today, along with the chisels I need to bring home, along with awlsand other various tools to go just to the right of hte workbench, within easy reach, but not really in the way...

The alcove is 40" wide, so I just wanted to leave some room on either side for some delrin rods I store in that alcove to just be able to sneak by on either side...

So in the pictures here let me go through what I'm doing...

In this picture you can see the length, the wide part facing the camera will be where the holes are drilled, about 1" apart in a grid on the left hand side of hte board for phillips, flatheads, torx and the like, then scratch awls, on the right slots will be routed in for chisels to sit in..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/holder2.jpg

And on this picture you see how it will sit on the wall....the 1x will be dado'd into the 2x 1/2" of an inch, with two door stop style supports on the bottom 4" inside. In between the supports I'm going to bend an 1/8th inch piece of rod, suspended down to hold things like tape measures and other various little items that are needed, but there's no place for...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/holder3.jpg

And in this you can see the second one I cut and smoothed to hold my clamps, built to much the same specs, without the wire holder underneath...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/holder1.jpg

patrick anderson
12-27-2006, 9:59 PM
what about one of those magnetic strips?

Rob Blaustein
12-27-2006, 10:11 PM
what about one of those magnetic strips?
I was about to say the same thing. I have two of those and I've been meaning to put them up now that I'm finally organizing things in my shop a bit better. But no one else has mentioned them--is there a reason not to use them?

Jeff Yates
12-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I have two of those and I've been meaning to put them up now that I'm finally organizing things in my shop a bit better. But no one else has mentioned them--is there a reason not to use them?

Laugh, for me they dont work very well...

I had a set of the magnetics on the wall, and when I started up the Chevelle and let it warm up, the vibrations knocked all but the itty bitty drivers off the strips...

So I would have to wonder if any regular vibration would do the same...

Joe Trotter
12-28-2006, 9:25 AM
Jeff,
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Joe

Guy's
The reason I havent used the magnet hanger is due to the small shaft size of most screwdrivers.

Al Willits
12-28-2006, 9:57 AM
I didn't use magnetic strips when I was working with metal/motors, as they seemed to get slightly magnetic, but thinking they might work with wood better, or for those who don't have Chevelles ... :)

Mufflers Jeff, mufflers....:D

Al.....who's betting it ain't no 6 cyclinder...:)

Jeff Yates
12-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I didn't use magnetic strips when I was working with metal/motors, as they seemed to get slightly magnetic, but thinking they might work with wood better, or for those who don't have Chevelles ... :)

Mufflers Jeff, mufflers....:D

Al.....who's betting it ain't no 6 cyclinder...:)

But she does have mufflers...

They are just Flowmaster 40's who dump at the rear axle...

Besides, this is an excuse to practice some skills I'm lacking in...hell, I'm even going to stain and poly seal the thing...*lol*

Chuck Saunders
12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I was thinking my first answer was gonna be, all over the shop..so I can find them..:D
Al

Al, I thought you were talking about me until you added the "finding them" part;)
Chuck

glenn bradley
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Jeff, that looks like it is going to work out well. I have never been sorry for any shop time spent on things to organize or improve my future shop time.

Doug Shepard
12-28-2006, 2:06 PM
Well I've been thinking for a while about changing out my jewelry. Maybe if I just switch to a screwdriver...? At least I'll always know where it is and can lay my hands on it quickly.:D