PDA

View Full Version : Good Plywood and Lumber Suppliers/Near State College, PA

Tim Quigley
12-27-2006, 1:32 PM
I just moved up near State College, PA to go back to school for the third time. Though graduate school will be busy, come hell or high water (or high piles of books as the case may be) I'm determined to keep up with my woodworking hobby as stress relief. Having come from just outside Philly, I had some great sources of both hardwoods as well as plywood. Some would even deliver right to my door for a small charge (CHBriggs for anyone who is interested-http://www.chbriggs.com/).

Anyhow, I can't seem to find any mention on the web or in newsgroups of good sources in this area. I have to think there are some smaller operations selling all the wonderfull cherry that grows around here.

So, anyone have some recomendations? In particular I am looking for suppliers of:

- cherry lumber and other hardwoods
- plywood (nice hardwood stuff plus stuff like baltic birch for drawers, etc)

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 6:02 PM
I can't help you with specific suppliers up that way, but you are in the heart of Cherry country! There are tons of mills surrounding you...contact the PA Hardwoods Council for a member listing for your segment of the state.

And enjoy your time back in Happy Valley! (me...PSU '70. dad...PSU '54) They've really done a lot of major changes to the campus over the past few years and there are some great new buildings, although the only one I've seen pictures in detail on is the new business facility.

Tim Quigley
12-27-2006, 6:57 PM
Jim,

Thanks...I will check out the council. I figure there must be tons of little mills...I just thought it might be a bit easier to find one nearby that lots of people talk about on the net or something. Was spoiled having Hearne Hardwood a short drive away.

As for PSU...yeah, this is my third trip through (96 and 04). I'm actually doing a PhD in the business, so I spend more time than I care to admit in that building. Awesome facility. Though, our neighboring building is brand new as well...Forestry School. They have it trimmed out nicely. Ought to check it out if you make it up to town.

Tim

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 8:26 PM
Yea, it's been awhile since I've been up that way. Many years, in fact. I suppose I should bring the girls up there sometime to see the 'ol Alma Mater. Which reminds me...I need to get my 2006 donation to the school out this week. My, time flies... :)

Back to your needs, give SEDA/COG (the Regional Wood Industry Initiative) a call during the day at 570-524-4491 or visit their web site at http://www.seda-cog.org/seda_cog/site/default.asp. You want a copy of their "Central Pennsylvania Wood Industry Directory" which includes Centre County. There are slightly more than a dozen listings in the 2003 copy I have here at home. (Which I got from the PA Hardwood folks at the Philadelphia Furniture and Furnishings Show in that year)

Curt Harms
12-28-2006, 7:01 AM
Hi Tim

I get through there a few times a year. If You are near the State College airport, You might want to stop in the General Aviation terminal just to look. It's east-northeast of the airline terminal a quarter mile or so. Gorgeous cherry panels for DAYS!!! The old facility was in the small red brick building near the fire house. It was shabbily chic, or just shabby:rolleyes: . The new facility is certainly NOT shabby. Great area.

Curt

Richard Niemiec
12-28-2006, 7:56 AM
Its a little bit east of you, but check out Lewis Lumber Products in Picture Rocks PA, its just east of Williamsport on route 220, about 20 minutes or so from the Grizzly Store in Muncey, so kill two birds with one stone. I've bought over 2000 bd ft from them, nice folks. They have a website so google them.

Rich.

Larry Norton
12-28-2006, 8:02 AM
Tim, you are roughly 2-1/2 hours away from Hicksville Planing Mill in Clear Springs, Maryland. It's a Mennonite sawmill with everything from clear white pine to curly maple, they even have some exotics at times, I got a piece of purpleheart there a few years ago for $2.75 a board ft. Yes, $Two.75! And Yes, it's all kiln dried.They also have plywood.

If you want directions, you can email me and I'll send them to you. I drive about the same distance coming from the opposite direction. I don't go anywhere else.

Bob Reda
12-28-2006, 9:00 AM
Tim,

I believe you are about a hour away from Carneige. There's a place their called DSI right off interstate 79. They have everykind of plywood you would want, plus anything for the cabinet industry. Plus there are a lot of sawmills around the Ligioneer are to get some of that cherry.

Bob
Monessen,Pa

Tim Quigley
12-28-2006, 5:05 PM
Thanks all. I will look up these places.

Just poking around, I found a place in Lewistown. Anyone ever heard of Industrial Plywood? They have locations in Reading and Lewistown.

http://www.industrialplywood.com/

Just wonder if they will sell to a small guy a few sheets at a time.

Thanks again.
Tim

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 5:17 PM
Tim, as far as I know the Reading location for Industrial WILL sell to small folks...I believe that Bill Grumbine posted about them awhile back. (Ok, he's not a "small folk", but you know what I mean!)