PDA

View Full Version : Engraving/Etching A Ipod?

Bill Cunningham
12-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Has anyone here ever done an Ipod? Are they Stainless? Anodized Alum. ?
I got an email from a local this morning who wants his son's ipod engraved..

Karin Voorhis
12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I did my roomates Razor phone came out really good nice.

Gary Hair
12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Bill,
Search for Ipod in the engraving forum and you will find a thread about that already.

Gary

Joe Pelonio
12-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I've done a few of the mini ones that are plastic (worked fine), and one of the ones that looks like stainless steel. On power 100 speed 2 it leaves a mark that can be seen with a magnifying glass only, so it requires cermark.

Bill Cunningham
12-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks folks..I guess there are different types.. I did a stainless back a while ago, w/cermark, and it looked ok.. I don't know anything about ipods, and the different types.. This fellow didn't tell me what he had for a backing Alum/Plastic?Stainless? so I sent him a email to ask about the backing.. If it's Stainless or Aluminum? If it's plastic, I don't think I will give it a try, unless he wants to claim and pay for the possible little clump of ashes:D!!

Dennis Kotlowski
12-28-2006, 3:01 AM
Karin,

I am glad to hear your shop is moving along. I just upgraded to a RAZR phone and thought about lasering it. Did you do a black or silver phone? What color did it engrave?

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Abdul Baseer Hai
12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi

The black Razr engraves beautifully.
Here are two pictures of the ones i have done

Abdul

Karin Voorhis
12-28-2006, 8:40 PM
Hey There Dennis!

I was just talking about you yesterday!!! I went to Niagra Lumber that you told me about. Thanks very nice people and buiness!!!

As for the RAZR it is a Silver and came out a nice frosty white.

Karin,

I am glad to hear your shop is moving along. I just upgraded to a RAZR phone and thought about lasering it. Did you do a black or silver phone? What color did it engrave?

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Phyllis Rhodes
12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
i engraved someone's initials on the back of a silver ipod nano. i wasn't sure what to expect, but it came out terrific.

i lasered the back side of my silver razr phone, but i think the contrast was much better on the ipod... even though my phone turned out pretty darned good, too!

phyllis
deer park laser

Keith Outten
12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
There seems to be a growing number of people who want their cell phones, MP3 players and laptop computers engraved. I have engraved laptops that have had both plastic and aluminum cases with excellent results.

The following are some settings I used with my engraver which is a 35 watt machine that bench tested at 45 watts.

I used 90% speed and 50% power on an Apple laptop that had an aluminum case. The result was a beautifull white mark with just enough contrast to be seen.

I used 90% speed and 100% power on a plastic case laptop that removed the silver top coat and exposed the dark brown plastic material underneath. The contrast made the engraving very visible.

I didn't take any pictures of the laptops I have engraved, however I will be doing a lot of them after the first of the year and should be able to provide more information and photos.
I expect we will be engraving lots of Ipods soon and possibly cell phones as well at CNU, a service we are offering to our students in the bookstore this year.

Dennis Kotlowski
12-29-2006, 7:28 AM
Karin,

The guys at Niagara Lumber are great....glad you got to meet them. Now remember to save some wood for me..lol. He only stocks the 5'x5' sheets of baltic birch for us laser engravers and a couple scrollsawers in the area. When I am doing a big run of LaserBuzz items I usually wipe him out. Thanks for the info on the RAZR. I will have to give it a try.

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Jim Good
12-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Phyllis,

I'd be interested in knowing your settings for the Ipod Nano engraving. I turned down lasering a couple of nanos for a family member because I didn't see a lot of people successfully engraving them without Cermark and I didn't want to screw up!

Keith, are you planning on lasering the nano ipods (at the bookstore) with or without Cermark? I'd be interested in knowing what settings you will be using. I have an Epilog mini24 35w machine.

You guys may give me some confidence to try the 2 nanos! Just remember I have to see these folks a lot during the year so I need to be successful! :D

Thanks!

Jim

Scott Perry
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Jim, I have a brave friend that volunteered his Ipod Video for engraving. Well, I started 100 speed/100 power-- did not make a mark on it. I went all the way down to 5 speed /100 power and after several passes we made a some progress, but it wasn't very good- looked faded out. So I ended up sandetching the name and it turned out great. I was able to put the Laserbits green resist on it and rastered it out. On another note, I tried to engrave my XM Radio using Cermark and it did not work very well. I think it would of been fine if I sandetched it. PS, he is still a good friend.

Keith Outten
12-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Phyllis,

I'd be interested in knowing your settings for the Ipod Nano engraving. I turned down lasering a couple of nanos for a family member because I didn't see a lot of people successfully engraving them without Cermark and I didn't want to screw up!

Keith, are you planning on lasering the nano ipods (at the bookstore) with or without Cermark? I'd be interested in knowing what settings you will be using. I have an Epilog mini24 35w machine.

You guys may give me some confidence to try the 2 nanos! Just remember I have to see these folks a lot during the year so I need to be successful! :D

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

Give me a couple of weeks and I should have lots of good information to share. Our new Bookstore sells Ipods and laptops and a whole bunch of other electrical gear and they are offering free engraving in the base price to students. I just received a brand new Xenetech XLT1325-60 that is still setting on the crate bottom in the new sign shop at CNU. Next week will be spent installing the Dust Collection and air lines then off we go :)

The new tube bench tested at 73 watts. I have already been though the manual several times and checked the cool software out. I major evaluation is coming soon :)

Scott Perry
12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Keith, how are you bench testing your laser?

Karin Voorhis
12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Dennis,

Thanks for the tip and let me know when you go. I have a good lead for us how about 5x5 sheets for $11.00 each. The is a lumber place in boston that will sell it for that price but we have to buy 30 sheets at a time sounds like you can do that it is a bit much for me right now but I would love to get some if you want I will look upo the name for sure its in Boston, NY

Karin,

The guys at Niagara Lumber are great....glad you got to meet them. Now remember to save some wood for me..lol. He only stocks the 5'x5' sheets of baltic birch for us laser engravers and a couple scrollsawers in the area. When I am doing a big run of LaserBuzz items I usually wipe him out. Thanks for the info on the RAZR. I will have to give it a try.

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Keith Outten
12-29-2006, 5:54 PM
Scott,

New machines come with a bench test spec sheet and my replacement tube also was delivered with a bench test verification of the tube wattage.

I wish I could afford to own a meter but they are way out of my price range.

Scott Perry
12-29-2006, 6:19 PM
Keith, I didn't get one with either of my machines.......ummm.
I wish I could afford a meter too.
Thanks

Jim A. Walters
12-30-2006, 8:38 AM
You can rent a meter from Laser Bits. $85.00 includes return shipping.

Phyllis Rhodes
01-03-2007, 8:55 PM
Attached is the Corel file I set up to engrave the back side of one iPod Nano.

Here are the settings I used on my Epilog Helix 45w:

Speed: 100
Power: 70

The guide line was simply to help line up the text where we wanted it to be.

Phyllis