PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Clamps--HELP

Homer Faucett
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I have about 4 Jorgensen "F" clamps that I picked up used. The threads are very rusty, and I can't move them whatsoever. WD-40 hasn't worked. I tried an Iron-out soak last night on one, and we'll see how that does. On another, I'm using some Liquid Wrench, but it does not seem to be penetrating as well as is needed. Does anyone have any other suggestions on loosening these up?

Doug Shepard
12-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Are you actually soaking them in WD40 or just spraying on the threads? I haven't run across rusty stuff that WD hasn't been able to cure, but I've always soaked the parts. Gallon cans at Murrays or other auto parts places usually have the better prices.

ken brueggestrass
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I've come across a few that were in similar shape. If you're using the wood handles to try to budge them, you won't have much success. If the clamp is open, just a bit, lock a pair of vice grips, or, better yet, a pipe wrench to the middle of the threaded bars and work them back and forth there. You'll find you have a lot more torque this way. I always keep a tub of white lithium grease on my work bench with a small hole cut in the lid and a cheap glue/flux bruch in it. Anytime I use a clamp, I just dap a bit of grease and away I go.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-27-2006, 11:00 AM
put one in your heavyest drill stick it in a vice and wail away at the rusty spots.

All will be better when you are done.

Al Willits
12-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Try a mixture of WD40 and Tranny fluid, warm/hot if possible and let it set over night.

Al

John Bush
12-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Soak then as long as needed in kerosene. I'd wire brush as much rust of as possible first tho. Good luck, John.