PDA

View Full Version : first succesful turning

Bud Duffy
11-13-2003, 6:29 PM
i watched a guy at woodcraft do one of these in purpleheart and thought id give it a whirl, theres somthing wrong with my POS lathe as the chuck wobbles a little . Everything is tight its either the threads are cut lopsided or the bearings are. But what can you expect for $75. It came out fairly decent anyway.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-13-2003, 6:40 PM
Taint nuttin' wrong with that Bud! :D The Goblet looks great to me...............not at all a bad effort for your first turning. Now that the bug has bitten ya, I sure look forward to seeing more work coming off your lathe. Nice shape, and good looking finish too! So, what's next? :)

Tom Sweeney
11-13-2003, 6:47 PM
That turned out GREAT! I know what it's like fighting less than ideal equipment - but you sure overcame the lathe problem with that beaut.

Welcome to the addiction :D :cool:

Steve Inniss
11-13-2003, 6:48 PM
Great Job Bud.

That's ambitious for a first piece. I'm sure you'll soon be hooked on turning if you aren't already.
You likely realize that you'll get quite a bit of movement (whip/resonance) within the piece due to it's unsupported length. For pieces like that, vases and hollow vessels, I built a roller blade wheel steady-rest that keeps the turning from whipping.
If your interested I'll look for the plan or the link.
Steve

Bud Duffy
11-13-2003, 7:13 PM
Thanx for the nice words guys, i forgot to tell you it used to be a piece of juniper in the fire wood pile just some linseed oil wiped on for finish.

Anthony Yakonick
11-13-2003, 8:14 PM
another on bites the dust :D

Jim Becker
11-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Welcome to our addiction, Bud!!! Amazing what's hidden in that firewood, eh? :D

Noah Alkinburgh
11-14-2003, 8:07 AM
Bud,

Looks very good! I haven't tried anything yet like that do to lack of chuck :) But I sure want to and will probably do it on my face plate or pick up a cheapy screw plate chuck to try it.

Thanks for posting it.

Noah

Ace Karner
11-14-2003, 8:36 AM
Welcome to world of turning addiction. Let me know when you realize that you have worked right thru the day and forgot to even have lunch Ha Ha

Terry Hatfield
11-14-2003, 9:55 AM
Bud,

Good job!!!! I can identify with the first "sucessful" turning. I have more kindling than anything else from my lathe tries so far. :D Keep up the good work, it is a beautiful piece.

Terry