PDA

View Full Version : What jigs do you recommend?

Jeff Yates
12-26-2006, 11:53 PM
So in one of my previous posts it was recommended I build some of the shop furniture and some jigs to practice before moving on to trying some furniture again...

So with that said...

What jigs do you recommend, and can you point out some plans, either online or in some books you recommend?

I have given it some thought, I have a benchtop cheapie Harbor Freight Drill press bolted to my worktable...what about the drill press, table top?, it sits on the metal base and extends off to the sides...I'm not 100% sure what it's actually called.

Suggestions?

Jesse Thornton
12-27-2006, 1:34 AM
There are several good books devoted entirely to jig making, check out your local bookstores and see what they have. One book I've found really handy lately is 'Classic Joints with Power Tools' by Yeung Chang; it has several clever jigs in it.
It would be helpful to know what type of woodworking you'd like to get into - to start with anyhow. Or what type of shop furniture you'd like to build. Knowing more of that sort of info would make it easier to suggest useful jigs and whatnot.

Dan Forman
12-27-2006, 4:21 AM
Don't forget your local public library either. They should have a number of books as well as a few magazines dedicated to woodworking. The current issue of wood magazine has a story on getting the most precision possible from hand held power tools. That should be helpful, as if my memory serves, you are lacking a table saw. This article will show you how to build a guide for your circular saw which will allow you to make accurate straight cuts.

Dan

Jeff Yates
12-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Thank y'all....I had planned on running to some of the local Half Price Books and seeing what they had in the woodworking section, and in the back issues of magazines as well..

As far as what I want to build...my plans include trying the garbage can on the Popular Woodworking website, building boxes...in the shop I've just about finished my screwdriver and clamp racks that I'll be hanging on the wall..

I need to build a roll around workstation for the scroll saw and my small 10" bandsaw as well, my needs are that it be taller than most people want, I'm 6'6", and I like the bed of my tools to sit just below my elbows when I'm standing up...

What I want to build in the next year, a bed for my King mattress set...that is my new years resolution, by this time next year I want to have it ready for finishing...*laugh*...

Now I do have a tablesaw, but it's difficult to get to, as it's out in my garage, and it's an OLD tablesaw...built in the 40's would be my guess, and the table itself is rusted all to hell...it may or may not be salvagable.

I have considered picking up one of the small Ryobi benchtop 10" tablesaws...but I've been shying away from that idea....doesn't seem like it would be a really good product...*laugh*

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Now I do have a tablesaw, but it's difficult to get to, as it's out in my garage, and it's an OLD tablesaw...built in the 40's would be my guess, and the table itself is rusted all to hell...it may or may not be salvagable.

I have considered picking up one of the small Ryobi benchtop 10" tablesaws...but I've been shying away from that idea....doesn't seem like it would be a really good product...*laugh*

The old 1940's vintage saw is most likely not only well worth salvaging but quite possibly a way better saw than you can get for any reasonable sum under a thousand dollars made new today. Go salvage it. It may be a real gem.

Charles McKinley
12-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Jeff,

Half Price Books is one of my favorite places to pick up WW books. Dropped lots of coin there getting Christmas presents too. One dollar here 5 there 2 for this one 10 for that, next thing you know you are at the register. "That will be $75.00 sir.":eek:

The stores around here have severeal copies of the jig book from Popular Woodworking. I have also picked up several Taunton books there.

Definately save the old saw. Do not try to make the top shiny. The top has "patina."

Jeff Yates
12-27-2006, 12:48 PM
I'll see if I cant' dig her out of the garage this weekend...a friend is using it as a storage unit for a few months while she moves..so it may be a while...but I have wiped down the table with some WD40 to help keep the cancer from spreading...I can't remember if it's a Delta or a Jet..but it's an old beast...and Heavy...

I think my big limitation in this shop is going to be space space space...

Projects coming up for the shop are the racks I mentioned for the drivers, chisels and clamps, a couple of rolling workbenches for the 16" scrollsaw, 10" bandsaw, converting the current bandsaw station over to a full grinder/buffer/wirewheel station...

Yeah I just need to get some ideas on the best way ti implement them..

Books...need books...

glenn bradley
12-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Jeff, I had posted some of the ones I find useful in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45895

There have been some since and others not posted. I've found if I don't go nuts and focus on things I will be doing again, jigs make good sense for me and have saved me much more than the time they took to build. Have fun!

Oh, the DP table (an early project and still in use although ugly) is here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35938&highlight=months

P.s. you'll find other's posts with their versions which are better.

Matt Day
12-27-2006, 1:09 PM
If it's a very heavy Delta from the '40's, you may have an extremely nice saw and not know it! That being said, it may need a lot of TLC to get it working properly, which you may or not be up for. Check out OWWM.org for information on restoring old machines.

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 6:10 PM
If you only ever buy one "NYW" plan, the "Jigs" double episode from a number of years back is a good one, including a wonderful shop-made shelf-hole jig not unlike the very expensive MEG aluminum one that Norm uses on the show. There are several other useful jigs included, too.

patrick anderson
12-27-2006, 10:19 PM

If you look around for a used BT3000 or 3100 Ryobi I think you'll be pleasantly surprised mate.

Dan Gill
12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
If you look around for a used BT3000 or 3100 Ryobi I think you'll be pleasantly surprised mate.

I can second that. I've had only one table saw in the past 4 or 5 years, a BT3100. I can see that I'd like to have a beefier saw at some time in the future, but this one has been fine for building all my kitchen cabinets, several wall units, tables, dressers, a Morris chair, and many small projects. Just don't drop a cabinet on the sliding table like I did. Twice. Replacing the glides and getting it set back up is a pain in the neck.