PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening today ... almost a pleasure

JayStPeter
12-26-2006, 9:43 PM
I sharpened all my birthday and Christmas gifts today. The list was a LV BevelUp Jointer iron, LV Med shoulder plane iron, and 4 LN chisels. I have never had an easier time flattening backs. I started all of them on 15u paper (@1000grit). I don't think I spent more than a minute on any one.
Aside from beveling the edges of the jointer iron, it was less work on initial sharpening than repairing a nick on any of them.
I always dread the first sharpening. LVs new process is fantastic. I just got around to sharpening the high bevel iron for my couple year old LA smoother a couple months ago and it was a lot more work from much coarser grits than the much larger iron I did today.

Ken Werner
12-27-2006, 7:17 AM
What new LV process?

Eddie Darby
12-27-2006, 9:33 AM
Lee Valley Tools is flattening/lapping the back of O-1 blades. This is a real crowd pleaser, if I ever saw one !!!See This web-page for more info and some movies:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/blog/SearchView.aspx?q=lee%20valley%20o1%20lapping

About two-thirds of the way down, titled "The Price of Admission Keeps Dropping"

JayStPeter
12-27-2006, 9:39 AM
These were both A2 blades. They must be doing those also.

LN must do something similar because their chisels were just as flat.