PDA

View Full Version : inside-out lamp

Robert McGowen
12-26-2006, 9:42 PM
A Christmas present for the wife. I knew she would like it no matter how it turned out! My first attempt at an inside-out turning. As is usual for semi-complicated things, I could do a 10 times better job in less than half the time if I did another one. Mistakes are part of the learning process!

Made from a piece of maple that started as a piece 2.5 inches square and 4.5 feet long. (Well, it actually started as a little maple tree, but you know what I mean.) Danish oil, then Beall buffed. Inside wire is run through 1/4" copper tubing with the threaded lamp rod epoxied in the top for the lamp parts.

I am inspired to try another one as soon as the knuckles heal some! (If you have done one before, you know what I mean!) Thanks for looking!

Keith Burns
12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Really cool lamp Robert !! I like the design very much. Great job !!:) :)

Jim Ketron
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice Job Robert!
Great looking lamp!

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Robert that is a good looking lamp. Nice job.

Curt Fuller
12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
That's a beauty Robert. Have you thought of lighting it from the inside?

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Robert - nice looking lamp!

Inside-out turning is somewhat challenging - at least for me. Trying to figure out how deep to make the initial cuts on a new design has always been a lot of fun. But then once everything is glued back together I always thought it was cool to be able to look through the piece while it was turning!

Just a suggestion if you decide to make more inside-out turnings - figure out the depth of cut for your 'inside' design and then make a template to use the next time around. It will save you even more time!

John Hart
12-27-2006, 6:33 AM
well done Robert! I tried my first inside-out a couple weeks ago. Talk about embarassing! I'll try another one when the memory fades in a couple years.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-27-2006, 7:34 AM
Neat Robert! You did a really fine job on this. Once again, you've proven to be the light of her life!:)