PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Logs...

Brad Kimbrell
12-26-2006, 9:33 PM
I have turned plates, bowls, and numerous kit items from almost every species of wood in my shop. Now I want to try some logs.

Where do you city guys go to find your logs? I don't have anything in the yard that I would / could cut down. I have several logs sealed that I saved from the ice storm a few years ago but they have all dried to the point that my lumber is.

I would like to try some green turning.

Any ideas on sources of hardwood trees?

Thanks.

Jon Shively
12-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, find a buddy that lives in the country. Be best if he burns firewood. Quite honestly, don't have enough firewood to supply everyone, but if a fellow turner became quite proficient and consumed a quantity of wood, wouldn't care a bit if he put in a couple of days a year helping me cut, or split, or stack or haul. Then he could have free choice. Free help goes a long ways. If you aren't physically capable of this, some turnings from time to time. I have a standing rule with my students, if they bring me an antler large enough for two pens, they get one free. Be surprised at the number of antlers and various types of wood students bring me, along with a story, and how pleased they are to get a free pen from the deal. But these are my thoughts and worth what you pay for them! grin. Also spent the day dragging up oak logs big enough to strain my tractor with its duals on. Andy, for John I will add, "I left the team of horses in the pasture today".

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Brad check with the city as they are always trimming or taking trees down because of power lines. Also check with your tree services in town. I also get some wood from them. Some of the bigger cities have tree dumps where you can pick up wood. Just some thoughts where I get some of my wood.

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Get chummy with the tree services...many of them haul off the trees they cut when the "owners" don't want them. For a bowl or three, you can almost guarantee they will start calling you when they get something "interesting". This is a great opportunity for barter.

Christopher Hunter
12-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I have found that word of mouth travels a lot faster... than just waiting for it to happen
tell everyone you know and I guarantee you will get some wood soon...
oh, yea, don't forget your chainsaw---
most people are more willing to let you have your pick when they know they don't have to do any work to get it for you....
Good luck-
--Chris

Brad Kimbrell
12-27-2006, 2:14 AM
All good suggestions guys. Thanks for the tips! :rolleyes:

I will definitely contact some of the tree removal services and ask some of my co-workers that live on farms to let me know when something comes down or is in the process of coming down.

Ian Abraham
12-27-2006, 4:29 AM
Yup.. just ask around.

This is one of 3 logs I got for free a couple of weeks back :D

Thats a serious piece of wood, most of it is nice boards and some landscaping timbers now

A good chainsaw is a must of course.

Cheers

Ian

Brodie Brickey
12-27-2006, 2:32 PM
In my area there is a community garden. The city dumps the trees it cuts down there, and users have the option of hauling the wood off for the fireplace. If it isn't use in a certain amount of time, the wood is shredded and used for compost or ground cover.

Check with your local parks also. They probably have to deal with at least a couple trees being damaged by the winter storms every year.

Brodie

Mark Pruitt
12-27-2006, 3:29 PM
Being in a city may work to your benefit, if you're toward the outtermost area where new construction is happening. There should be trees-a-plenty where builders are clearing them out.

Rex Guinn
12-27-2006, 7:28 PM
Brad;
I picked up a card from guys cutting down trees on Longview in Lexington the other day. You might try them. TreePro, Inc. 249.4457

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Nice to see another nearby Creeker! Maybe we can get together sometime.

I'll even help you carry some of those logs!

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I'm off to Puerto Rico at 6am so I best get to bed...

Back on Friday...

Terry Quiram
01-01-2007, 9:55 AM
Brad

Getting to know someone that has a tree service is a very good idea. I have access to 3 log "dump yards" and have processed some amazing wood. One guy chips everything up to 14" and anything too large to run through a firewood processor is put on a burn pile. Last week I brought home a truck load of Curly hard Maple from a 50" tree that was on his burn pile. This is the first tree I have had to double cut with my big Husky. I leave a little of something for him every once in a while to keep on his good graces.

Terry

Mark Hulette
01-01-2007, 1:21 PM
Brad-

Rex beat me to it as I was going to suggest getting to know someone connected with the local golf courses... they're always cutting something down. I'm not sure if just anyone can go into the landfill over off of Old Frankfort Pike but if so that could be a gold mine.

As others have said, grease the skids to your friends and coworkers a little with some of your handiwork and they'll let you know of any available wood... as a matter of fact, I gave a coworker a turning for Christmas and she said her farm in Versailles has a 'ton of cherry and walnut' if I ever want any! :D

Last but not least, we're entering downed powerline time here in the Bluegrass so there should be plenty of found wood from now until spring. :cool: :cool:

Don't forget the Anchorseal!!!

Brad Kimbrell
01-01-2007, 5:20 PM
Another Local! Very nice. :D

Yeah, I should have been on my toes when they were cutting down all of those cherry trees a few years ago due to Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome - the mamas were all losing their foals due to the toxic catapillars that they were eating...after the catapillar had eaten black cherry leaves.

As they ate the grass, they ingested some of the catapillars and this was causing the mares to abort their foals or be still-born.

Being in the horse business (I work for The Jockey Club) I should have hopped all over that, but I was only turning pens at the time. :(

There is talk of forming a turning club in Lexington via the Manny's WW store so maybe we can all meet some day soon.

Thanks for the tips.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 6:25 PM
Brad.....Grease the skids. I happen to work with a lady who lives on a ranch outside of town. I showed her some of my turnings. She came up with some interesting English walnut her husband had cut and dried. I turned a low profile bowl from it...finished it ...gave it to her. Two weeks ago she and her husband helped a friend cut down a maple tree. It now resides in front of the garage door of my shop. A few minutes ago they called ....excited......free fruit wood.....apple....apricot......delivered in front of the garage door of my shop......cost......one NE bowl....They guy they got it from is cutting down the largest commercial orchard in the area for replanting. This is just the start. Talk to friends....spread the word....show some of your work.....give some of it away.....Grease those skids!

Christopher Zona
01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Gotta love those city dwellers!

Even though I live in the sticks, I commute to the city for work. A co-worker/city dweller cuts trees on the side. I helped him cut 3 Russian olive trees in October. I haven't had a chance to turn it yet though. I have anything from 2" branches all the way down to the trunk and some burl.

The great thing about city wood is that there often times seems to be more diverse species than one might find in the country. I think this might be because city dwellers seem to landscape with more kinds of specialty trees. I've collected walnut, crab apple, Russian olive and hawthorne, to name few.

Keep a watch for companies that have a lot of shipping and receive stuff. Sometimes the skids that they discard are hardwoods, especially if they receive international shipments. Remember, another country's junk wood is often times exotic to us. My company regularly discards oak pallets! You would be amazed what I stuff into my Neon!

Keep an eye out, soon you'll have more wood than you can shake a stick at.