PDA

View Full Version : Christmas anti-gloat

Ryan Cathey
12-26-2006, 7:04 PM
Well I have a new swmbo and she asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said "I'm kinda hard to shop for because I really like antique tools". A couple days ago she gave me a card and said "Sorry I couldn't find anything, I did find a plane at Peddlers(a local antique store/flea) but you have like a hundred of those":eek:. I have four, and I almost cried. In another matter I went to that store today and found a little alcohol torch. It doesn't seem to have a pump or anything just a wick. How do these work and can I use just regular denatured(sp?) alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?

-Ryan C.

Charles McKinley
12-26-2006, 9:43 PM
Have a list of things you need, be specific and just like here pictures, pictures, pictures. A suggested price range for each tool would be a good idea too.

Almost as important is a list of thing to stay away from. (New low end tools)

With a little guidance and telling her that it is OK to ask you to look at a tool you can have her scouting and getting you toyls for Christmas, b-days, just because.

Ryan Cathey
12-26-2006, 9:44 PM
Sounds like you have this technique down pat. lol

-Ryan C.

Ken Werner
12-26-2006, 10:11 PM
"I'm kinda hard to shop for because I really like antique tools"
Gee Ryan, you took the words right out of my mouth. I am really hard to buy presents for too. I don't care hardly at all about clothes, and I get what I want for myself....here's my schemes- make wish lists on line, or leave little flags in the [lee valley] catalog....or if you see something in the antique shop ask them to put it aside for you, and then ask your giver to get it. I got my Record #7 that way for father's day a long time ago.

You've got a good head on your shoulders, keep lookin for those antique tools.

Oh, I don't know much about alcohol lamps, but I think they're usually just a wick in a jar, and they burn kind of like a candle, but with no soot, and possibly a bit more heat.

Ken

Ryan Cathey
12-27-2006, 2:29 PM
That sounds good. For those of you who wanted to know I found the information I needed about the torch on a site called zangbobs or something like that. Basically what it amounts to is that the alcohol is volatile enough to produce enough vapors to keep the torch burning. I'm still not sure what kind of alcohol to use although that site said to not use rubbing alcohol so I guess all thats left is to use the denatured kind.

-Ryan C.

Dave Anderson NH
12-27-2006, 2:47 PM
Denatured alcohol would be fine. You don't want to use rubbing alcohol because it has a fairly high percentage of water in it and it does not burn either as well or as hot.

Ryan Cathey
12-27-2006, 2:48 PM
Good, because I've disassembled this torch and every thing seems to be in working order. I'll have to get some of that and try it out sometime soon.

-Ryan C.