PDA

View Full Version : Some Christmas shoptime and progress

Dave Anderson NH
12-26-2006, 5:36 PM
Over the past couple of weekends and over the holidays I finally got some time to work on the Queen Anne Handkerchief table (aka Corner Table). This project has languished due to demands of Chester Toolworks and the nasty thing called a day job. In fact, it sat for a full year with not a bit of work done on it until about 3 weeks ago. The tiger maple has been dyed and oiled and is now curing before I start to apply the coats of granet shellac. There is still a lot of work to do on the top.

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 5:56 PM
That's a real beauty, Dave! 'Can't wait to see it with the shellac applied.

Bruce Page
12-26-2006, 7:23 PM
Dave, that will be stunning when you get it completed. What am I looking at in the second picture? The apron looks like it has a large box joint on one end. Is it a hinge? :confused:

Dave Anderson NH
12-26-2006, 7:41 PM
Hi Bruce, a corner or handkerchief table is a MA form from the early to mid 18th century. The top is a square with a break line diagonaaly from corner to corner. One triangle of the top is fixed above what you see in the pictures and the other triangle is a single drop leaf. The "box joint" you see is where the 4th leg on a swing arm (gate leg) is hinged. The 4th leg sits just inside the right leg in the second photo--you can see the cutaway area of the knee block where the leg fits.

Louis Bois
12-26-2006, 9:07 PM
Beautiful work as usual Dave...love the knuckle joint!!!

Don Bullock
12-26-2006, 9:08 PM
Beautiful. I love the tiger maple. It's giving me a better appreciation for maple than I had.

Bruce Page
12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. That is some beautiful tiger maple.

Howie French
12-27-2006, 8:42 PM
That is a great piece Dave, just beautiful. I look forward to more pics.
Thanks for posting.

Howie

Mark Stutz
12-27-2006, 9:46 PM
I knew this was going to turn out great when I saw the beginnings a year ago.:eek: :D The dye really adds to it. I can't wait to see the top:D since even in the rough those boards look fantastic.

....anxiously awaiting the wine glass.

Mark

John Timberlake
12-28-2006, 8:09 AM
Great work so far. Waiting to see more progress pictures. The shape of the legs and joinery look outstanding. Don't worry about a little delay. I once had a 9 year delay during the building of a lowboy.

Chuck Hamman
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello Dave,
I was just admiring your handkerchief table and I was wondering if your design was inspired by Eugene Landon's article in FWW #52? It looks very similar except Landon's is Cherry and Mahogony and I like the more elegant sweep you used on your skirts. It goes well with the TM. Landon's table has long been on my "One day I'm going to build that" list and it just so happens that I took advantage of the mild weather we've been having in SW Pa this Christmas to finally start building one of my own.
I'm looking forward to seeing your finished table.

-Chuck