PDA

View Full Version : Jet 14" Bandsaw Bogging Down - Help!

Tim Dorcas
12-26-2006, 3:59 PM
My primary reason for getting a bandsaw is to resaw stock. I purchased a 1 hp 14" Jet saw. I upgraded the belts to the link belt variety. I have upgraded the fence and I purchased Timberwolf blades. This SHOULD be a fantastic combination for resawing. However, everytime I try to cut a slice of 6" cherry, the whole thing comes to complete stop. I have tried keeping the tension low. I have upped the tension to make the blade tight. I have adjusted the guides. I am now at a point where I don't know what else I can do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Tim

Ed Wana
12-26-2006, 4:11 PM
Tim,

I have that saw and use it to resaw with great success. You dont mention what blade you are using, but you should be using a 2 or 3 tooth blade.

Pete Bradley
12-26-2006, 4:30 PM
What band are you using? I'm betting you're running a band with a high tooth count and burning like crazy. A 1/2"X3TPI should work great.

Excessive tension or overly tight guides could also be factors. Make sure the wheel turns freely by hand after the saw has been running for a few minutes.

Pete

George Heatherly
12-26-2006, 8:52 PM
You mention that you have upgraded to a link belt. When you say that the saw grinds to a halt, is the motor stalling, or is the belt slipping?

"Jason Belous"
12-26-2006, 8:57 PM
I have the jet 14" and found that the motor was running down on me on almost everything that I tried to cut that wasn't pine. I also was burning through blades very easy. I have to agree with the tpi comment, I was running a 3/8 blade with 6 tpi and after I switched to 3 tpi I noticed much better results on hardwoods. Stick with it all and all its not a bad saw. I have noticed that I need to do a lot of adjusting on the guides and the tesion though.

Tim Dorcas
12-28-2006, 8:56 PM
Turns out the belts were not tight enough. While they were tight in my eyes, after taking out a link in each belt and straining to put them back on, I am back to business. I finally was able to resaw some Maple with little difficulty.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Roy Wall
12-28-2006, 9:06 PM
Turns out the belts were not tight enough. While they were tight in my eyes, after taking out a link in each belt and straining to put them back on, I am back to business. I finally was able to resaw some Maple with little difficulty.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Tim - thanks for letting us know! Lots of times these types of threads never post a final solution(s). Good job on the fix and I'll keep that one in the books........I've got a Jet 14" also.:)

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 9:20 PM
One thing to remember about "new" link belts is that they stretch. Once you install them, check them every few days for a few weeks and retention. You may very well need to take a link out in some cases like the OP discovered here. But once they are broken in and so forth...they work really well.

Rick Thom
12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
I have heard that link belts reduce vibration.
Some claim added power. Is this myth or true in real life experience? If so, would this perhaps be through more efficient transfer of power?

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Vibration reduction, yes. Power increase...I can't imagine how!