PDA

View Full Version : Which BS blades?

Alex Berkovsky
12-26-2006, 2:10 PM
I want to take advantage of the Timberwolf blades sale (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/special_blade_offer.asp) for my soon to arrive Grizzly's G0513X bandsaw. Which 5 blades should I get?

Charlie Plesums
12-26-2006, 2:27 PM
Suffolk Machinery is a good place to get the blades, but you have to order by phone (despite their web site). Decide whether the wood you will cut is

wet (bowl blanks) or dry
soft or hard
thick (resawing) or thin (less than an inch)
straight cut or curve (how tight a curve?)Their operators are great blade consultants, and will help you get the right blades for your requirements, but they will ask questions like above for each blade.

If you are just starting, I would get a 1/4 inch blade with lots of teeth for hard dry wood, such as cutting curves in furniture, plus a wide blade with few teeth for resawing dry wood, etc.

Pete Bradley
12-26-2006, 3:07 PM
I want to take advantage of the Timberwolf blades sale (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/special_blade_offer.asp) for my soon to arrive Grizzly's G0513X bandsaw. Which 5 blades should I get?
Get a couple of 3/8"X4PC and a 1/2"X3PC. These are my workhorses. The 3/8" will cut most curves that you'll need and leaves an excellent surface finish in hardwoods. The 1/2"X3 is great for straight cuts and tall resaws. I hear the thin resaw band is good, but haven't tried it.

I wouldn't go with anything having "lots of teeth" unless you're going to be doing scrollsaw-like work on thin material or working with plywood, plastic, etc.

Pete

Al Willits
12-26-2006, 3:23 PM
I hadn't a clue what I wanted when I called Suffolk and told the gal I had a BS and didn't know what blade to get, she asked me a bunch of questions and suggested which ones I would like...she was right, my main concern was resawing and the 3/4" 3 tooth version she suggested does a great job, plus the four for the price of three was a good deal.
Remember to back the tension off a bit with these blades.
Al

Mark Singer
12-26-2006, 3:39 PM
1/2" 4tpi for general sawing and resawing ....1/2" 10 or 12 tpi narrow kerf with very little set for joints....