PDA

View Full Version : I think I wanna turn some wood!

Rob Nolan
12-26-2006, 1:13 PM
I think I want to try this turning thing and see what this addiction is all about.:D I have nothing ... no lathe, lathe tools, turning knowledge. Can some of you guys help a fella out and recommend a mini lathe, books on turning, lathe tools ... ect. Spend my money ... I know you guys are good at it! :D

Thanks!!

Andy Hoyt
12-26-2006, 1:19 PM
Alert Alert!

It's open season on Rob's wallet.

Heave to, folks.:D

EDIT: Seriously Rob - belly up to a local turning club, and there's one very near you - click here to learn more (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List).

Dario Octaviano
12-26-2006, 1:25 PM
Get Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" book (or get the set of 3 Wood, Bowls, Boxes). He discussed the lathe and tool choice well.

Check the Jet mini. I have the VS and love it.
HF have a cheap 8pc HSS turning tool set which is good for starters (I still use mine a lot). Another brand to look at is Benjamin's Best...affordable but good quality from all the reviews I've read.

If you want to buy more expensive ones...get/buy just pieces. You really don't need the set.

Depends on what you want to turn, a chuck may also be nice to have.

This is just the beginning...next you will want a bandsaw, chainsaw, truck to haul wood, etc. :D

Others had it so bad...they moved to have bigger shop and or be closer to wood source! LOL

Clem Wixted
12-26-2006, 1:48 PM
I think I want to try this turning thing and see what this addiction is all about.:D I have nothing ... no lathe, lathe tools, turning knowledge. Can some of you guys help a fella out and recommend a mini lathe, books on turning, lathe tools ... ect. Spend my money ... I know you guys are good at it! :D

Thanks!!

Rob,

As a former 32 year resident of Worcester and Foxboro I will give you some well founded financial advice - STOP BEFORE YOU START. You will never know what you are missing and you will be richer when you retire. :)

Seriously, I have been retired for 9 years (I retired young) and currently have 3 wood lathes and 1 metal lathe and a whole lot of turning tools and accessories, as well as other woodworking machines and other tools as well. I am still on the up-slope of the turning learning curve and enjoying every minute of learning and researching all of the how-to and what better and bigger accessories are available, and how they will help me up the curve.

This is a great hobby and if there are any turning clubs near you, get to a few meetings and get some first hand observation and talk to some of the members. You might even have some turners that live close to you that could walk you through the turning maze and help you sort out what will be most meaningful and actually useful to you.

You might even come across some used equipment to get started with.

There are also quite a few excellent web sites that provide priceless (and free) turning information. Visiting, and digesting these sites will make you well aware of what is available, the terminology, how to do many things and even give you alternate ways to accomplish the same thing. Reading this, and other, forum(s) will also be invluable as you whirl through the vortex.

Keep the questions coming. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Clem

Nancy Laird
12-26-2006, 2:03 PM
Rob, there's another thread on here about a fellow who went to Woodcraft and they were selling their "instructing" mini-lathes at a greatly reduced price. If you have one near you, it might be worth checking out.

On the other hand, I have a Woodtek mini, and it's a honey. It will do all I want it to do at present - pens, bottle stoppers, letter openers, small stuff - and the price is right. Check it out at www.woodworker.com (http://www.woodworker.com).

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
12-26-2006, 2:39 PM
A lot depends on what you want to turn... for starters a jet mini lathe is perfect! I have one and I love it. Don't get the VS to begin with though. It costs 100 bucks more and it only takes 30 seconds to change a belt on the manual, so to begin with it isn't worth it. Turning Wood by Richard Raffan is an excellent book and I taught myself through that book... I think that book is a must have. For tools, if you want to turn spindles a 1/2" skew, 3/8" spindle gouge and a parting tool are the only tools you'll need to start. For bowl turning you'll want a 1/2" bowl gouge, which does most of the work. A 1" round nose scraper is also really nice for cleaning up the work. A chuck is also very necessary and it is really hard to learn with just a faceplate. To begin with you can get a cheap brand of carbon steel tools to practice on instead of the more expensive HSS. Also, instead of getting a grinder right away I am sure there would be someone in a local club that would be more than happy to sharpen your tools for you. A local club is a great way to learn and you really should think about joining one.... the speed at which you learn will be amazing. For me just spending a couple hours at the house of a friend from my club really increased my skills!!!

Rob Nolan
12-26-2006, 2:42 PM
Seriously Rob - belly up to a local turning club, and there's one very near you.

Wow! I had no idea there was a club near me! This is great news! Thanks Andy!

Get Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" book (or get the set of 3 Wood, Bowls, Boxes). He discussed the lathe and tool choice well.

Thanks Dario! "Turning Wood" book on order! I'm about $17 in debt due to turning now! Doesn't feel too bad! :D

Rob,

As a former 32 year resident of Worcester and Foxboro I will give you some well founded financial advice - STOP BEFORE YOU START. You will never know what you are missing and you will be richer when you retire.

Clem ... too late ... I've already started spending! Thanks for your advise ... I found a turning club right here on the south shore ... I just might have to attend a meeting!

Nancy ...I have a woodcraft about 50 minutes away ... I'll check it out.

Thank you all! Not sure my wife thanks you ... :D

Rob Nolan
12-26-2006, 2:47 PM
A lot depends on what you want to turn... for starters a jet mini lathe is perfect! I have one and I love it. Don't get the VS to begin with though. It costs 100 bucks more and it only takes 30 seconds to change a belt on the manual, so to begin with it isn't worth it. Turning Wood by Richard Raffan is an excellent book and I taught myself through that book... I think that book is a must have. For tools, if you want to turn spindles a 1/2" skew, 3/8" spindle gouge and a parting tool are the only tools you'll need to start. For bowl turning you'll want a 1/2" bowl gouge, which does most of the work. A 1" round nose scraper is also really nice for cleaning up the work. A chuck is also very necessary and it is really hard to learn with just a faceplate. To begin with you can get a cheap brand of carbon steel tools to practice on instead of the more expensive HSS. Also, instead of getting a grinder right away I am sure there would be someone in a local club that would be more than happy to sharpen your tools for you. A local club is a great way to learn and you really should think about joining one.... the speed at which you learn will be amazing. For me just spending a couple hours at the house of a friend from my club really increased my skills!!!

Thanks Jon ... I've been eye'n the Jet Mini (manual) and the Rikon. I have the tormek for sharpening but will need to get the jigs for the turning tools.

Dale Gregory
12-26-2006, 5:32 PM
Thanks Jon ... I've been eye'n the Jet Mini (manual) and the Rikon. I have the tormek for sharpening but will need to get the jigs for the turning tools.

I have the Rikon, and so far I like it (1 month). The extra turning diameter (max. 12") and length is nice. The indexing feature is nice also, I just purchased the Nova Precision Midi Chuck (on sale at Woodcraft this month) and by locking in the index, I can hold a bowl with my right hand and only need one of the Tommy bars to tighten up the scroll ring with my left hand. Makes tommy bar chucks as easy to use as the more expensive ones. Keep in mind that all of mini's are pretty low in hp but will work if your take your time. Built my table out of old scrap doubled up 2x4's and some old left over plywood. Good luck, I'm having a blast so far.

John Hart
12-26-2006, 8:29 PM
....Others had it so bad...they moved to have bigger shop and or be closer to wood source! LOL

That would be me.:o And I must admit...It is very satisfying. Soooo...I suggest you move to have a bigger shop and be closer to an abundant wood source!;)

Oh....and stock up on sandpaper....and every kind of finish known to mankind.

Get a faceshield! Big jagged pieces of wood sticking in your face hurts sometimes.

Learn how to drive while looking at the side of the road.

If your wife threatens you with divorce because you're never around...buy her a lathe!

That's all I can think of right now. Welcome to the vortex!!:)

Shane Nyvall
12-26-2006, 9:04 PM
I am trying to get into woodturning also and my dad gave me a Craftsmen lathe that he bought brand new in 1978. He thinks that I should sell it and get a Jet VS mini.