PDA

View Full Version : Pocket holes on drawers?

Joe Trotter
12-26-2006, 1:12 PM
I got a kreg R3 for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has ever made drawer boxes using pocket holes.

Thanks, Joe

Christopher Pine
12-26-2006, 1:27 PM
I have made drawers this way.. put on false front. Plenty strong. Now that I have keller jig I use that for super easy dovetail drawer boxes.
Have fun. kreg jig is awesome.
Chris

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 1:30 PM
Yes...the first time is on my cherry vanity project. So far, I'm pleased and would do this again for times when I don't want or need dovetailed drawers. (Cabinetry only...for furniture, I'll stick to dovetails, at least for the fronts.)

Bob Childress
12-26-2006, 1:32 PM
Yeah, I've made several cabinet drawer boxes using pocket screws. No problems, nice and strong.

Glen Surwillo
12-26-2006, 1:56 PM
I am using them on my first cabinet project. I thought they worked great with the false fronts.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/IMG_0585.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/IMG_0593.jpg

Thanks,

Glen

glenn bradley
12-26-2006, 2:01 PM
I've done it. Works fine. I didn't go the recommended depth for 1/2" material as I felt it didn't leave enough meat for the screwhead to grip; downside - the washer head sits a bit proud of the inside drawer panel surface (assuming you pocket from the inside that is) but I felt better about it. Again, works well.

Glen Surwillo
12-26-2006, 2:17 PM
I did the same thing. I built my drawers with 3/4 inch oak ply.

JayStPeter
12-26-2006, 2:54 PM
All the drawers in my shop that were too large to reasonably deal with on the Jointech are pocket hole joined. They are all 3/4" HD ply and are nice and solid.

Joe Trotter
12-26-2006, 3:59 PM
Thanks everyone!

My first major project will be a bathroom vanity. I want to remove a pedestal sink. It was a guest bathroom and my daughter decided she wanted her own bed and bath since the oldest had one.

We fixed it up western style for her Christmas present, now she needs a little storage space, and counter top.

I will try hope chests after that :) I am pretty stoked up!

If only my tractor project was done :(

Joe

Tom Ricochet
12-26-2006, 7:21 PM
I got a kreg R3 for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has ever made drawer boxes using pocket holes.

Thanks, Joe

Joe,

I have built many drawers out of 1/2" BB ply using the Kreg jig. On 1/2" ply it is a little tricky to get just the right bit length adjustment - try setups on some scrap first. Also, Kreg (and others) sell a coarse thread panhead screw (without the washer). These pretty much solve the head protrusion problem mentioned in another post. It can be difficult to get the butt joint exactly flush, because of the slight angled "pull" as you tighten the screws - I built a little clamping fixture to solve this problem.

I also use just a little TBIII on the joints - super strong this way.

Tom

Jim Dunn
12-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I built a little clamping fixture to solve this problem.

Ahem,. Pic police I detect a violation of picture rules relevant to a full scale picture with detailed plans.:rolleyes:;)

Jesse Thornton
12-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Well I guess there is a reasonable concensus already, but for what it's worth I'll throw in that I too have had success with pocket hole joinery for utility drawers, and I'll certainly do it again.
I've been very happy with my Kreg jig, and I discover new applications all of the time. It's a great time saver, well worth the money.

Brad Hammond
12-27-2006, 12:08 AM
yep, i've done it on the last three sets of cabinets i've built. the last two sets being one for my parents new house and our new house. my mom keeps loads of cast iron cookware in her deep drawers and they've held up great.
you'll love the kreg!

Wes Bischel
12-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Joe,
Mark Singer posted a nice set of pics and description seen here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10546

I'm planning on using pocket screws on my next drawer set.

Wes

Joe Trotter
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Joe,
Mark Singer posted a nice set of pics and description seen here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10546

I'm planning on using pocket screws on my next drawer set.

Wes

Wes,
Thanks for the link. I was at a local Woodcraft yesterday and they had a kreg cabinet making DVD. I bought it and watched it. It is amazing what a pocket hole can do.

Joe

David G Baker
01-07-2007, 1:26 PM
Joe,

I have built many drawers out of 1/2" BB ply using the Kreg jig. On 1/2" ply it is a little tricky to get just the right bit length adjustment - try setups on some scrap first. Also, Kreg (and others) sell a coarse thread panhead screw (without the washer). These pretty much solve the head protrusion problem mentioned in another post. It can be difficult to get the butt joint exactly flush, because of the slight angled "pull" as you tighten the screws - I built a little clamping fixture to solve this problem.

I also use just a little TBIII on the joints - super strong this way.

Tom
Tom,
I agree with Jim on posting a photo or two of your clamping jig for the pocket hole joints. I too am having a little problem getting some of my joints flush. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not. I may be doing something wrong but have not figured out what it is.
David B

Gary Keedwell
01-07-2007, 2:58 PM
Tom,
I agree with Jim on posting a photo or two of your clamping jig for the pocket hole joints. I too am having a little problem getting some of my joints flush. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not. I may be doing something wrong but have not figured out what it is.
David B
I installed the plate ( inlayed it into a utility bench) that you can slip the vise grip like clamp that Kreg sells and it works great. Both parts were flush.
Gary K.