PDA

View Full Version : another throat plate question

bob stotts
11-13-2003, 12:13 PM
I have a left tilt delta cabinet saw and the people who make the one sold by woodcraft donot make one for it. Sometime time back there was a post on another company that made one for a left tilt. Anyone know of this company or of another one that does make one? thanks bob

Jim Becker
11-13-2003, 1:24 PM
I have a left tilt delta cabinet saw and the people who make the one sold by woodcraft donot make one for it. Sometime time back there was a post on another company that made one for a left tilt. Anyone know of this company or of another one that does make one? thanks bob

Bestwood has it at www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/sawbudmaszer.html . The other place I posted about in Bart's thread may also.

Jim DeLaney
11-13-2003, 4:41 PM
FWIW, I notice that the insert - at least the one pictured - doesn't have the cut-out to accommodate a splitter. That may (or may not) be a problem.

John Weber
11-13-2003, 5:01 PM
Bob,

Not to butt in, but no zero clearance insert would be worth it to me with out a splitter. If your looking for one for those occasions when you don't use a splitter then it seems there are lots of other less expensive choices including making your own. If you are looking for a Table Saw improvement, I'd consider a Forrest WWII blade or a Biesemeyer Snap In Splitter. Either would be well worth more money then a fancy zero clearance insert. I don't want to step on toes, but since you asked.

John

Jim Becker
11-13-2003, 5:40 PM
FWIW, I notice that the insert - at least the one pictured - doesn't have the cut-out to accommodate a splitter. That may (or may not) be a problem.

This is correct...the way that all or most of these aluminum/wood inserts are made appears to preclude use of a splitter that mounts to the saw internals. You could, of course, mount a splitter statically on one of the removable "insert-inserts"...although that would be more difficult than with a basic unit made from scrap.

Although I like the idea of these inserts, I use a Biesemeyer snap-in splitter system and would not give that up for this insert design when I think about it!

Bruce Page
11-13-2003, 7:36 PM
This is correct...the way that all or most of these aluminum/wood inserts are made appears to preclude use of a splitter that mounts to the saw internals. You could, of course, mount a splitter statically on one of the removable "insert-inserts"...although that would be more difficult than with a basic unit made from scrap.

Although I like the idea of these inserts, I use a Biesemeyer snap-in splitter system and would not give that up for this insert design when I think about it!

Depending on how it’s made, you may be able to cut a slot to accommodate a splitter on your bandsaw. As you can see in the picture of my homemade throat plate, I milled a slot for my splitter. I also left a ¼” web between the blade opening area and the splitter slot to maintain strength and to prevent the plate from opening up.

warthog5
11-13-2003, 9:55 PM
So Bruce Do you know someone or do you have acess to a Bridgeport endmill? HeHe
That's a nice looking piece. Would you care to post some close up shots of it?

Bruce Page
11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
So Bruce Do you know someone or do you have acess to a Bridgeport endmill? HeHe
That's a nice looking piece. Would you care to post some close up shots of it?
I have a Lagun mill - a Bridgeport clone. My daughter has my digital camera so I did a screen capture of the drawing. I hope it's readable

John Weber
11-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Bruce,

Nice mod, you should go into business.

John

Bruce Page
11-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Bruce,

Nice mod, you should go into business.

John

Thanks John, I use to be pretty fast on the mill but I have slowed down quit a bit since I left the trade. If I went into business I would either have to work for 50¢ an hour to sell them or charge so much that no one could afford them!:D

warthog5
11-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks Bruce Now I see how the wood insert is held in. [Dovetail]
Very Nice. :D

Wes Bischel
11-14-2003, 2:24 PM
Bruce,
Have you posted this drawing somewhere else? I pulled a drawing similar to yours off the web a while ago. Though the one I made is not nearly as nice as yours (material was scrap plate and I am not a very good machinist), it still works well.
I can't seem to find the drawing at the moment to verify, but either way, thanks for making it available - having the design is at least half the battle!
Wes

Bruce Page
11-14-2003, 3:39 PM
Bruce,
Have you posted this drawing somewhere else? I pulled a drawing similar to yours off the web a while ago. Though the one I made is not nearly as nice as yours (material was scrap plate and I am not a very good machinist), it still works well.
I can't seem to find the drawing at the moment to verify, but either way, thanks for making it available - having the design is at least half the battle!
Wes

Wes, it's been up on Loren Hutchinson's website "CAD Files for Woodworkers" for a couple of years. You probably found it there.

Wes Bischel
11-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Bruce,
Yep, that's it! Thanks again for taking the time to put the drawing up for everyone. It made the project much easier! It also saved me $90 bucks!

Wes

Bruce Page
11-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Bruce,
Yep, that's it! Thanks again for taking the time to put the drawing up for everyone. It made the project much easier! It also saved me $90 bucks!

Wes

Glad I could help.

You can’t find any true closeness in Hollywood, because everybody does the fake closeness so well. — Carrie Fisher