PDA

View Full Version : Leigh FMT Owners

Don Dean
12-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I am looking at the Leigh FMT jig and would like your input on this tool.

frank shic
12-26-2006, 2:02 PM
http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/LeightFMT/LeighFMTReview.html
http://www.individualfurniture.com/maker/Leigh%20FMT%20Jig.htm

the other one to consider would be the trend MT jig
http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/TrendMortiseJig/TrendMT_JigReview.html

Also, see the post below regarding the festool domino.

Steve Rowe
12-26-2006, 8:17 PM
Don,
I have had the FMT for over two years. I purchased it specifically to make relatively small M&T at odd angles for hexagonal tables that I was building. Each of these tables had 42 M&T joints and none of them were at right angles. It performed this task extremely well. I have not used it to make larger mortises. Based on my use to date, I offer the following observations:

While on the expensive side, it is a well engineered jig with excellent instructions and has a very short learning curve.
Hefting a router up and down repeatedly to make a large number of M&T can be tiring. Use as light a router as possible.
Dust collection worked surprisingly well. Tilting the front face the full 30 degrees forward does pinch the dust collecton hose.
Holding smaller pieces can be challenging with standard clamps but you can make custom fixtures to aid in this.
The cam clamps are a joy to use but at times have been fussy to position in just the right location.
Cutting the tenons takes a little practice. Initial climb cut to minimize chipout is a little awkward at first but was quick to master.
It makes good clean cuts that fit very well.If you want a single jig that you can use to make both mortise and integral tenons, the FMT is a good choice. I don't necessarily believe it is the best choice for all applications. That is highly dependent on the type of work you do.
Steve

John Russell
12-26-2006, 8:42 PM
I bought one in anticipation of building several M&T intensive projects. So far I have used it for a variety of M&T joints, mostly for face frames and the like. It is well-engineered and it gives me an option for some but certianly not all M&T joints.

Steve's comment about the weight of the router is noteworthy -- I am using a Bosch 1617 and I am looking for a dedicated router that is lighter because of the heft. My wife uses the machine too and she would like something easier to lift on and off ...

Paul Canaris
12-26-2006, 9:01 PM
What it does, it does very well. M&T for joining typical structural subassemblies such as legs, frames etc.

It does however not easily handle very large timbers, nor will it for intance allow you to put mortises in the sides of a cabinet carcas.

So all in all within it's limitations it produces very accurate jolnts very quickly.

John Gornall
12-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I built a platform the same height as the FMT that sits on the bench behind it with a couple of rails for the base to slide on without hitting the guide pins. A lot less lifting when doing dozens of joints.