PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use or see the palmgren lathe

Bob Hallowell
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Amazon has this on slae right now for $289,

It has a 15" swing 38 between centers 8x1" and mt2 tapers so all my chucks would work but best of all the speeds go down to 360rpm. Let me know what you guys think cause my starter grizzly needs replaced. And this might be a good place to start till I can save up a couple grand.

Bob
http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-84315-Horsepower-Benchtop-Woodworking/dp/B00068U88A/sr=1-11/qid=1167150527/ref=sr_1_11/105-8951055-1610049?ie=UTF8&s=hi

http://www.palmgren.com/pdf/woodworking12.pdf

John Hart
12-27-2006, 6:16 AM
Like I said in a PM Bob, I have no experience with this lathe but it shore seems to be a great price. Bernie had some trouble with his and some irritation with sears on service...but I'm hearing that Palmgren gives better response. This is one of Bernie's threads from a while back:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41916&highlight=belt

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 8:55 AM
Bob I ordered one of these yesterday. Should be here Jan 11th. I talked to Palmgren. They told me they do built craftsman lathes to craftsmans specks. He said we build our lathes to our specks. They have our name on them and we have been around a long time and expect to be around a lot longer. I was impressed. Now we will see what kind of machine I will get.

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Bob as I said in the PM go with the Palmgren. I think there lathes with their name is built to a better standard. I also think you get a whole lot better service. The only saving grace I have with Sears is I got a 5 yr. extended warranty. The problem is their repairman has never worked on a lathe before. So basically he brought the parts and I did the work.

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 10:42 AM
I just ordered it, for $290 shipped how could i go wrong. Now to build a table!

Bob

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Now we will both have the same lathe. :)
Now I got some extra money for a chuck and maybe some tools.

John Hart
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
You guys will be twins!! The Bob Twins.:rolleyes: hmmm. :D

Great price and free shipping to boot. Wow.

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 10:57 AM
You guys will be twins!! The Bob Twins.:rolleyes: hmmm. :D

Great price and free shipping to boot. Wow.I hope the other Bob is not that ugly. I looked in the mirror and scared myself.:)

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey I'm not ugly. Just not easy on the eyes!

So I gues we are twins!

Lets hope the lathes are good ones!

Bob

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Well I joined the ordering crowd. Looking at it this way.... cost $289..... regular price plus shipping would of added on $350... so I got it 'free'. That's MY story and I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 1:01 PM
Well I joined the ordering crowd. Looking at it this way.... cost $289..... regular price plus shipping would of added on $350... so I got it 'free'. That's MY story and I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:Thats how I explained it to my wife. She bought it!:)

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 1:12 PM
hey now we can be

B

Bob

John Hart
12-27-2006, 1:57 PM
While ya'll are B-boppin' around...be sure that you wear matching clothes.;) :D

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 1:59 PM
Bobby and Bonnie,
have you guys seen this I might order it also.

Bob
http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-84927-Turning-Lathe-84315/dp/B0007ZFJM2/sr=1-149/qid=1167243992/ref=sr_1_149/105-8951055-1610049?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2006, 2:03 PM
Yeah, I had looked at it. But was told to make darned sure I get the lathe set up with enough bolts and weight so outboard turning isn't tearing up me or the lathe. So I guess for now I'll just be happy with the inboard 15" swing ;)

If you get it let me know how it works out (and how you stabalize the lathe)

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 2:57 PM
Bobby and Bonnie,
have you guys seen this I might order it also.

Bob
http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-84927-Turning-Lathe-84315/dp/B0007ZFJM2/sr=1-149/qid=1167243992/ref=sr_1_149/105-8951055-1610049?ie=UTF8&s=hiI looked at it but I think Sears has the same thing cheaper.
That comes after some chucks and tools. Unless wife wins the lottery.

John Hart
12-27-2006, 4:22 PM
I went ahead and ordered the outboard toolrest a couple minutes ago for my c-man. Been wanting it for a long time and the shipping was free.

John Hart
12-27-2006, 4:24 PM
I went ahead and ordered the outboard toolrest a couple minutes ago for my c-man. Been wanting it for a long time and the shipping was free.

I hope that's all right with you "B" people!!;) I know I'm just a "J"....but really...us "J"s get a bad rap. We're really quite nice.:)

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 5:13 PM
I was telling my neighbor about the new lathe I was getting. He went home and came back with about 6 or 7 sets of deer horns. Said all he wanted was a pen when I felt confident enought to try to make one.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2006, 5:28 PM
Bob, Bob and Bonnie, I got the outboard turning jig and like it a lot. I have used it now about a half dozen times. Really stout and holds up well. Sears is cheaper.

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2006, 5:32 PM
Is there any special anchoring down of the lathe that'll need doing? I don't even have a table for it yet. Hubby said he'd build one (or is that one made for Craftsman a good sturdy one?)

John Hart
12-27-2006, 5:37 PM
Is there any special anchoring down of the lathe that'll need doing? I don't even have a table for it yet. Hubby said he'd build one (or is that one made for Craftsman a good sturdy one?)

I highly recommend building one that can be anchored solidly or weighted down. No big deal with pens or other spindle stuff...but when you get to some of the off-centered pieces for bowl and vase turning, it'll rock and roll on ya.

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2006, 6:25 PM
Okay, so if hubby builds one with a shelf under, it I can just pile it full of his reloading lead and that should work?

John Hart
12-27-2006, 6:30 PM
Sure! Some folks use sandbags....I just screwed my new bench to the wall and it doesn't move at all even with a big gnarly piece.

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 6:48 PM
Bonnie,
I am going to start building mine tonight. I have a bunch of 8/4 utility oak I was given. It will be real stout and I plan on putting a couple hundred pounds of sand in it.

Bob

Bobby Perry
12-27-2006, 6:56 PM
I just got my email from amazon it has been shipped. By Eagle freight. Delievery date Jan 11th. I have a shelf built on the wall of my shop that it will fit on just right.

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2006, 7:06 PM
Probably another dumb question.... but does the lathe itself need to be bolted or such to the table? I know it's heavy, but I had my PSI lathe walking the table with a piece of wood just a little off balance.

Oh, and I had written to Palmgren asking if there were any quality control issues with this lathe. The sales guy said he'd check with quality control and get back to me on it. I expect I will hear from him. He's email three times now. In one he asked if something was going on on the web since he'd received 4 emails asking about the lathe this morning lol He came here to see what was being said.

Rex Guinn
12-27-2006, 7:11 PM
Bob;
I just ordered one the day before Christmas, It should be here by the 5th of Jan. It's is my first lathe. I will let you know what I think. Hope I made a good choice for the first lathe. The only thing I was not sure about was the 1HP motor. It may be a little on the light side. We will see!
Rex

Bob Hallowell
12-27-2006, 8:55 PM
Just got a message mine shipped today. through eagle USA?

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2006, 9:24 PM
Rex you won't be sorry with the motor. I turned some 14 1/2" blank plus a 19" blank outboard and it handled them just fine. I have never stalled it.

Bonnie in a word yes. Your lathe will need to be bolted down. I have mine bolted to my wooden bench I built and on the lower shelf have 350 lbs. of sand. Doesn't move to much.

John Hart
12-27-2006, 9:46 PM
.....I just ordered one the day before Christmas, It should be here by the 5th of Jan. It's is my first lathe.....

Rex....after seeing what Bernie, Bonnie, Bob, and Bobby have done....I just gotta say that I'm glad your name starts with R.:)

Tom Sweeney
12-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey Guys,
I don't post here much anymore, but I had to stop by & say thank you for the heads up on this lathe deal. My current lathe is an older borrowed craftsman so I figured I almost had to buy this lathe.
$289.99 + Free shipping - - Then I had a $100 Visa gift card I won at the company party, so I used that, but I had to buy a gift certificate with the card, because Amazon won't take 2 cards for the same purchase. they were nice enough to give me an additional $5 credit for doing this. so It's down to $184.99 out of pocket - Then I applied on line for an Amazon Visa card that gives a $30 credit for applying. Total out of pocket $154.99 for a 15" swing 1 HP lathe with outboard turning capabilities - Can't go wrong I don't think. Didn't even take much begging to the CFO to get approval :D

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Man all the letters are all messed up now first all the b's now there's an r and a t.
Guy's I hope this lathe is a good one. Now no one get mad at me for starting this up if they get a lemon. Though my luck it will be me!

Bob

Ps. congrads on the Lathe Tom!

Tom Sweeney
12-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Sorry about messing up the letters - we're not trying to overthrough the B people :rolleyes: Anyway - for $155 out of pocket I figure if I get a year out of it I'll be ahead of the game - as long as it's not a frustrating machine to use, but it doesn't sound like it so I think you're in the clear with me anyway ;)

Mike Ramsey
12-28-2006, 12:14 PM
There is no difference between the Palmgren & the Craftsman
except color....The big difference for me anyway was the 5 yr warranty
from sears which has come in very handy so far. You should have very
little problems if your shop is climate controlled, moisture really causes
problems with the drive pulleys....If your shop isn't climate controlled
meaning high humidity then you have to be willing to do some PM work
in the area of the drive pulleys, (remove the pulleys & lightly sand the
shafts to keep it moving freely) & I do that at least once a month and
it keeps on ticking...

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
OKay, now I need some ideas for table shape and size. If I bolt the lathe to the table, what width and depth should the table be? The lathe would have to be near enough the edge to get the outboard to work.... And how long do I need that table? Height I can figure, but not sure on the others. Wouldn't want to design something that won't work after all the trouble. I have to draw up the plans, then my husband will make it. I sure do appreciate everyones help!

Good information to know Mike! I'm glad I've got a AC/Heat pump for my shop. Sure makes it nice :)

Mike Ramsey
12-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Bonnie, you should bolt it close to the edge, I used an old solid
fireplace mantel for mine. Keep in mind that later if you want
to use a hollowing tool like Jamieson's you will need room
for the swing of the back rest. Here's a pic of my setup.

John Hart
12-29-2006, 7:31 PM
My Outboard tool rest just arrived. In the picture, it shows the straight toolrest....but they shipped the curved bowl rest instead. I'm cool with that.....now I have two!:D

Bonnie Campbell
12-29-2006, 9:55 PM
My Outboard tool rest just arrived. In the picture, it shows the straight toolrest....but they shipped the curved bowl rest instead. I'm cool with that.....now I have two!:D

Lucky duck! My lathe is supposed to get here on the 9th. Guess I'll have to wait until it gets here to figure out the table plans :confused:

Bob Hallowell
12-29-2006, 11:42 PM
John, The ad said it came with the s-rest. I glad it did that's one reason I ordered it.

Bob

Gilbert Vega
12-30-2006, 3:15 AM

John, what is the size of the tool post? Just wondering if the S-curve tool rest set I have for my Delta Midi will work. Thanks. The lathe does have a hollow head stock, right?

Jon Shively
12-30-2006, 2:50 PM
Okay, you all are educating my a little bit at a time (my slow speed, not the amount of information you are providing!). Palmgren makes the Craftsman lathe, duh! Just got that figured. I also have the Craftsman 15" but mine has a 2 HP motor. Yep, garage is heated when out there with a wood stove (a lathe sure makes you look at a wood pile differently!). Had a problem the other day with a pulley, popped the cover off, tapped with a ball peen hammer handle and working fine again. It is an adjustable pulley. I try to shut mine off before leaving for the day in slow speed (pulleys pulled together) the pulleys are more apt to spread apart (for faster speed) than come together at the start of a new day. Mine goes from 200 to 2000 RPM, really like this lathe. Oh and sorry for adding a J to the mix.

John Hart
12-30-2006, 2:58 PM
John, what is the size of the tool post? Just wondering if the S-curve tool rest set I have for my Delta Midi will work. Thanks. The lathe does have a hollow head stock, right?

Gilbert...I just measured the tool rest post and it is 7/8" diameter. I'm not sure I understand your hollow head stock question.

Rex Guinn
12-30-2006, 3:13 PM
My lathe arrived yesterday, I am now in the process of builing a bench for it. The bench I have in mind is 20x31x65 with a shelf about 12" from the floor for sand bags. Is loose sand better than bags? I would think it would absorb better but since this is my first lathe?

Bonnie Campbell
12-30-2006, 3:56 PM
I'm sure the cats around would prefer loose sand ;) I'm going to go with lead or bagged sand I think.

Gilbert Vega
12-30-2006, 6:41 PM
Gilbert...I just measured the tool rest post and it is 7/8" diameter. I'm not sure I understand your hollow head stock question.

john, thanks for thr response. On my Delta midi, there is a hole all the way through the head stock than can be use with a rod to push out the spur drive. It can also be used to run a tube for use with a vacuum chuck. Hope this explains it better.

By the way, I also have one on order.

Alex Cam
12-30-2006, 9:55 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for the heads-up on the free shipping. I just ordered one up, so add me to the list.

Alex

John Hart
12-30-2006, 10:55 PM
....On my Delta midi, there is a hole all the way through the head stock than can be use with a rod to push out the spur drive. It can also be used to run a tube for use with a vacuum chuck. Hope this explains it better.....

ah...well I don't know about the Palmgren. My C-man does...but it's an entirely different machine. Maybe one of these other folks knows. Rex just got his today.

Bob Hallowell
12-31-2006, 1:22 AM
Dang, Now an A. We might as well give up on that B thing. Good luck all and happy spinning.

Bob

Bobby Perry
12-31-2006, 5:15 PM
I just got home from my daughters house. My lathe that was supposed to be delievered on the 11th of Jan is in Houston waiting on a call from me to be delievered to my house. Shipped on the 27th of Dec and arrived in Houston on the 29th.

Bonnie Campbell
12-31-2006, 5:53 PM
Way to go Bobby! Mines still listed for the 9th. And I look for them not to find the house until a few days past that :rolleyes:

Darrell Feltmate
12-31-2006, 6:42 PM
Hi all. Sorry I do not post here more often. I got an email about the Palmgren Lathe and a Google search led me here again. I own it under the Craftsman name. I think I have had mine for seven years but I would have to check to make sure. In my humble opinion this is a nice lathe. I have turned small ornaments on it and 18" bowls. I think my largest piece so far is a 12" diameter 29" high mushroom.
Two difficulties you may run into. There is a small drive belt 'tween motor and drive shaft. It has a cogged surface. If you happen to forget the spindle lock and turn on the lathe, it can grind off cogs and call for a belt replacement. This is not simple but doable. The belt is not standard sized so it helps to keep a replacement on hand.
The other difficulty comes from the Reeves Drive that controls the speed, a matched set of movable pulleys. The top one is spring loaded and that spring can fire across the room when the snap ring is released unless you happen to be in its way, which I do not advise. I have no idea what the Palmgren manual is like but the Craftsman is a joke, a bad joke. I have a page on my web site on how to remove the pulleys and lubricate the drive or replace the belt. It is not hard if you make the right jig.
If I can be of any help let me know. I check here from time to time but the easiest way is to contact me through the web site.
http://aroundthewoods.com
I do like this lathe. It is the largest of my four and gets a lot of use.

Darrell

Bobby Perry
01-01-2007, 7:22 PM
Delivery company was closed today I guess. They wouldn't answer the phone so maybe it will be delivered tomorrow. I will be on the phone first thing in the morning.

Anyone else that ordered at the same time got theirs yet?

Bonnie Campbell
01-01-2007, 7:58 PM
I've gotten nothing since it said mine shipped. Tried tracking and that says 'not found'. Hmmm, Amazon isn't known for shipping things off very well. Ordered a scarf for a Christmas present one year (ordered the end of November), it got here in February :(

Bob Hallowell
01-01-2007, 8:16 PM
Bonnie, I was able to track mine the same night. Mine ship via eagle USA. It left chicago and is now in pittsburgh. I live about 2 hours form the Burg and hope it will come tommorow or wed.

Bob

Bobby Perry
01-02-2007, 4:02 PM
It will be delivered tomorrow afternoon between 1 and 5pm. She couldn't get it on the truck today.Truck had already left.

Alex Cam
01-02-2007, 4:42 PM
Rex you won't be sorry with the motor. I turned some 14 1/2" blank plus a 19" blank outboard and it handled them just fine. I have never stalled it.

I beleive it. HP ratings for electric motors are about worthless. The best indicator is generally the power output, but even then you're still playing with unknown efficiency ratings. The Palmgren 15" looks pretty good at 12A/120V (1.44kW). When you compare that to a Jet 1442 at 7.9A/120V (0.95kW), you should be able to sleep pretty well, even adjusting for the possibility that the Jet motor is more efficient.

Gilbert Vega
01-02-2007, 5:44 PM
Just checked on mine and it still hasn't shipped. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

John Hart
01-02-2007, 5:55 PM
Just checked on mine and it still hasn't shipped. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Gilbert...you are suffering from Vortexial Dementia. You really can wait, but your brain has spun off its axis, giving the illusion that the universe will stop suddenly. Eat some ice cream and call me in the morning.;)

Gilbert Vega
01-02-2007, 7:57 PM
LOL. That's a good one. But you're totally right, I should have said "I DON'T " want to wait.:D By the way, that ice cream does sound like a good idea!

Well, as I was wrining this, I got an email from Amazon saying that the lathe has been shipped. Thanks John for putting in a good word for me. YAAAHOOO!

Tom Sweeney
01-02-2007, 9:05 PM
Mine was shipped & is supposed to be delivered on Friday the 5th. For some reason I can't track my shipping either - says tracking not available on this item???? I'm really looking forward to getting this baby set up & see how it works.

Barry Stratton
01-17-2007, 5:14 PM
Well.........How do you all like your new lathes????? I've seen some pens, a few bowls, and a bottle stopper (all of which looked mighty nice BTW) but haven't seen anything in the form of a review. I know someone interested in one of these and need your input.

Are the lathes so great that you've all spun yourselves silly, or all you all working together to sue the company???????:D :D

Thanks.

Bonnie Campbell
01-17-2007, 5:35 PM
Well..... I JUST got mine put together on the table. Seems to be a good one. Ran the motor (so know THAT works). I would like some input on removing a chuck though.... My small lathe had a wheel I could hold on to so the spindle (?) wouldn't turn. But I can't see any obvious locking mechanism on this. I know, read the directions... I have and that isn't addressed for me to understand. All I recall is someone saying not to forget to unlock something or you'll wreck your belt????

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2007, 6:24 PM
Bonnie when you remove the back cover which hinges down there is a lever on the top near you that can be pulled toward you locking the spindle and away from you unlocks the spindle. If you leave it in the locked position yes the belts will squeal and burn. After a couple of times doing that you will need a new belt.

Bonnie Campbell
01-17-2007, 6:36 PM
Thank you SO much Bernie! Was afraid I'd mess the new lathe up good just turning it on lol

Bobby Perry
01-17-2007, 7:08 PM
I haven't turned anything but pens and bottle stoppers on mine yet. Oh I forgot keychains too. But I think it was one heck of a deal. I like the lathe. It is so much better than the HF cheapie I had(I gave it away). I guess you would say I am very satisfied with it. Now if I could find a heater for the shop I could go make some sawdust.

Gilbert Vega
01-17-2007, 8:51 PM
I've had mine for almost a week now and haven't turned anything yet. Initially, I was waiting on a new bed. The one that came with the lathe had a weld to repair a poor casting. I called Palmgren and within a couple of hours they airfreighted a new bed. Got it in two days. That's good customer service. They even told me to keep the old bed!

Since then I have been buildinga cabinet that will be 67" long with a double layer of 3/4" MDF for the top. I've trimmed the top with oak 1" x 2" witha gray Formica layer. The case with have six 3.5" drawers for my turning tools and four 5.5" drawers for chucks and other miscellaneous tools. I hope to finish it this week so I can finally start turning on it.

Bob Hallowell
01-17-2007, 9:58 PM
I love mine I was away for aweek so I haven't turned alot but I made a ne bowl I posted vase I posted plus a peppermill. I have a couple of curly maple blanks drying from the dna soak I roughed last week at Bill Grumbines I be eager to turn.

for a review-
My biggest complaint is the power switch my arm keeps turning it off. So there is a chance in the future that I will move it
Compared to my old griz this thing is built like a tank has lots more power everything slides nice the headstock does not tip when I put pressure on it. In general I love it. Is this my dream lathe? no that would be a condiment you put on a hotdog. But I could not afford it right now. But this thing will definetly let me push my abilties as I learn and will last me many years.

So if any one is looking I say go for it, problem is amazon is out of them, Maybe if you call palmgren they might find you one.

Bob

Darrell Feltmate
01-17-2007, 9:59 PM
I have had this lathe for six or seven years. It has turned bowls, vases, spindles of various kinds, ornaments, birdhouses both miniature and full sized, clocks, tonfas (tonfea? tonfee? whatever) hollow forms, mushrooms and other assorted things which can be seen on my website (http://aroundthewoods.com/). While most of the pieces are not noted for what lathe they were turned on, a lot were made on this lathe.
It is sturdy and well made. Mine is bolted to the stand which is bolted to the floor but any well made stand should work for it. Lathe speeds are controlled by a Reeves drive although Palmgren calls it something else. The old Generals used this same type of drive so the technology is well known and reliable.
The headstock rotates which means that it is difficult (I will say almost impossible until someone proves me wrong, please) to get a jackshaft in place. I would like the low speed of 400 to be lower and the high speed of 2000 to be higher.
So far the largest piece I have turned on it has been a mushroom of wet elm, 13" diameter x 29" high. Call it 80 pounds of weight. No problem but a lot of shavings.
I have had to replace the drive belt a couple of times. This was my fault for having left the spindle lock on when starting the lathe. I have also taken apart the drive to lubricate the pulleys. The Sears manual is useless for this type of thing but I have put the info on my site.
Overall I feel this lathe is a bargain. For the same quality I would have to spend a lot more from other companies. Accessories for the MT2 spindle and tailstock and the 1" x 8 spindle are easy to come by from many suppliers. I am pleased and would buy another if necessary.
___
Darrell Feltmate

Ernie Nyvall
01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Take a look at my website.

Good idea folks. I've been visiting Darrell's site for about two years. Lots of good information there... tutorials and such.

Oh, and welcome Darrell.

Barry Stratton
01-17-2007, 10:41 PM
THANKS for the reviews folks, greatly appreciated!

Great website too Darrell!

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Bonnie and all I have had the Palmgren lathe now for about 8 months now and like it well. I have the Craftsman version of it. The one I got from Sears had problems from day one. I contacted Palmgren and told them in the first month it was down more than it had turned. Customer service air freighted me a complete new head even though I did not buy it from them. I had it overnight. Have not had a problem since. I have turned pens and mini birdhouses that I just posted to 14 1/2" bowls. Customer service at Palmgren is second to none in my books.