PDA

View Full Version : CMS Dust collecting

Julio Navarro
12-26-2006, 9:53 AM
Hello everyone. Ive been gone for a while. Long story short, LOML decided she wanted to move...had to tear down shop I almost had finished in old house been spending last month and a half moving and building new shop.

I have a question regarding my CMS.

I found a good deal on the ryobi CMS stand and I am very happy with it. But I need some sort of dust hood/collection.

Has anyone put together a dust hood for their CMS?

I need ideas. I cant connect it to the cyclone cos I had to set the CMS at the other end of the shop and garage door is in the way so I will be using a small 1 hp dust collector dedicated to that saw.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Bob Childress
12-26-2006, 1:40 PM
Rockler offers a table-top dust hood at this link:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312

Dust collection on the CMS has been, for me, hit or miss. The small chute with a Festo attached only gets about 40% or so. Haven't tried the hood yet, but will be interested to see whatr others are doing.

David G Baker
12-26-2006, 2:08 PM
Julio,
One of my Christmas presents to me was the Home Depot Ryobi CMS stand. I haven't used it yet but I too am looking for a way to make a non vacuum type of dust/sawdust collector. I will probably use a fiber barrel with a catch hood attached. It won't catch all of the dust but will save some "broom time".
David B

glenn bradley
12-26-2006, 2:13 PM
I used Rockler's 'big gulp' that Bob mentions for awhile. I've now settled on a 6HP (yeah, right) shop vac connected to the port that the bag used to hang on. The greater suction from the vac as opposed to the greater air movement of the DC seems to catch more for me.

Alex Berkovsky
12-26-2006, 3:38 PM
Rockler offers a table-top dust hood at this link:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312
Wow! $20 for a piece of plastic? :rolleyes:

Dick Heifner
12-26-2006, 5:42 PM
Julio,
Check out Wood mag, issue #174 this month. Shop tip on page 18 by Dan Chan.He mounted a big mouth that will piviot for all the cuts
I have the same saw but I don't have the same mounting option. Iv'e just taped my 6"dust gorilla behind the saw for for 90 deg cuts and it works awesome. Have to figure out some way to mount it like Dan did.
Dick

Tom Jones III
12-29-2006, 8:26 AM
I've had decent success with my dust gorilla, I put a 4" hose with a wide flanged fitting under the saw and left a 4" hose open where the dust bag would normally go. If I had the Rockler big gulp instead, then it would work great but I don't have the room behind the saw.