PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Kaleidoscopes

Thor Sorensen
12-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I have finished the kaleidoscopes that I was working on for Christmas. As these were almost my first truely finished turnings they came out pretty well. I have done 3 small bowls and a few spindles before this. I am not set up to photograph yet so these snap shot will have to do.

Each scope is 10 to 11 inches long and 2 to 2-1/4" in dia. I used front surface mirrors at 30, 75 and 75 deg, which gives 12 images and a six pointed star. I wish I could take a picture of the image, they are nice a bright. The image chamgers are filled with mineral oil and various beeds.

When I started out I planned to have the image chamber fixed to the body, which means that the whole scope would be rotated to change the image. After the first one was rough assembled I realised that the eye hole needed to be a teardrop shape or off center. That would make rotating the scope when at the eye akward, so I decided to make the image chamber rotate. This meant that the object chamber is held on with a "t" ring that is turned to match the inside of the ring that holds the object chamber. Which made if very slow going on the first few, since my skills were still novice. Boy do I have a lot to learn. :)

From the left, maple with walnut and paduk, mystery wood with maple and osage rings, same, maple with purple hart rings, maple with paduk, same.

Boyd Gathwright
12-25-2006, 11:55 PM
.... Very nice Thor. They look really good :).

I have finished the kaleidoscopes that I was working on for Christmas. As these were almost my first truely finished turnings they came out pretty well. I have done 3 small bowls and a few spindles before this. I am not set up to photograph yet so these snap shot will have to do.

Each scope is 10 to 11 inches long and 2 to 2-1/4" in dia. I used front surface mirrors at 30, 75 and 75 deg, which gives 12 images and a six pointed star. I wish I could take a picture of the image, they are nice a bright. The image chamgers are filled with mineral oil and various beeds.

When I started out I planned to have the image chamber fixed to the body, which means that the whole scope would be rotated to change the image. After the first one was rough assembled I realised that the eye hole needed to be a teardrop shape or off center. That would make rotating the scope when at the eye akward, so I decided to make the image chamber rotate. This meant that the object chamber is held on with a "t" ring that is turned to match the inside of the ring that holds the object chamber. Which made if very slow going on the first few, since my skills were still novice. Boy do I have a lot to learn. :)

From the left, maple with walnut and paduk, mystery wood with maple and osage rings, same, maple with purple hart rings, maple with paduk, same.

Gilbert Vega
12-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Gosh, those are beautiful. Did you build them from a plan? Seems that they are a fun project to build. I got some ideas now.;)

Dennis Peacock
12-26-2006, 1:37 AM
Thor,

Those are very pretty. I like the design features that you added to them. Beautiful on all of them. :D

John Hart
12-26-2006, 7:02 AM
Beautifully done. Dang it...I gotta try those soon. Or...I guess I can be happy looking at these.:rolleyes: :)

Tom Sherman
12-26-2006, 8:58 AM
Thor ya done good son, very cool.

Keith Burns
12-26-2006, 9:03 AM
Really great job on these. They look super !!!:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2006, 9:10 AM
Thor - beautifully done! Love the random patterns!

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Thor those are beauties. I have got to try doing one of those. Nice job.

Jon Shively
12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Thor, those are great! Made four kaleidoscopes for Christmas presents but used the egg kit from Craft USA. Really want to turn a true kaleidoscope like these. Where are the kits from? Those are extremely nice. Thanks for any help.

Thor Sorensen
12-26-2006, 2:44 PM
Jon, I did not use a kit, I purchased the mirrors from Highly Reflective Mirrors, www.highreflectivemirrors.com . The object chamber I ordered from Boston Clayworks, http://polymerclayprojects.com/. Boston Clayworks has some kits that are a good way to get the parts you need to experiment. I actually ordered mirrors from another place pre-cut, but decided they were too small, and ordered mirror sheet.