PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Rods for turning tools?

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Yup....My MIL had back surgery several year ago and they removed the titanium screws and rods and she kept them after the surgery. She gave me the rods (clean of course). I need a 1/8" parting tool and was wondering if I could grind the 1/4" titanium rod stock down to 1/8" on one end and put a turned handle on it and use that for a parting tool.?

Is titanium a worthy metal for a turning tool? Will it hold an edge? Will it be strong or to fragile?

Richard Allen
11-13-2003, 6:33 AM
Hi Dennis

I think that would make a terrific parting tool if for no other reason than the story that goes with it.

You could also make a round skew out of the 1/4" rod. That is a popular skew for detail work like when doing finials on Christmas ornaments.

Thanks

Bruce Page
11-13-2003, 8:24 PM
Dennis, while titanium is corrosion resistant, light & strong, it’s not a particularly hard material. Ti 6AL-4, one of the better grades, has a Rockwell “C” hardness of only 32 to 36. Good quality turning tools usually have a Rockwell “C” hardness in the 50-60 range.Build her a nice display case instead.;)