PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Gloat on New BS

Don Bullock
12-25-2006, 9:18 PM
Well I just purchased one of the Craftsman 14" band saws (model 22401) -- Merry Christmas to me. I've been wanting to get back into woodworking for years. Now that I'm building up my shop tools, I decided that I needed a band saw. I realize that for many here, the Craftsman saw is too much of a compromise. For me, it will do very well. Woodworking is just a hobby for me, not a job. Spending more on one wasn't possible and the Craftsman band saw seemed to be what I need. Besides, my in-laws gave me $250 in Sears gift cards on Christmas Eve and I was able to get to the local Sears store before closing. The saw was on sale in the store through the 24th. so I took advantage of the sale.:D

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 9:34 PM
Geepers...don't make excuses for buying a band saw. You have a nice new band saw in your shop! Supposedly. Prove it...with pictures. ;) (Enjoy it.)

Don Bullock
12-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Geepers...don't make excuses for buying a band saw. You have a nice new band saw in your shop! Supposedly. Prove it...with pictures. ;) (Enjoy it.)

Thanks Jim. Right now the only picture I could show is the outside of the box. I'm going to buy a mobile base for it tomorrow - making a run to Woodcraft -- and plan to put it together Wednesday. I will definately enjoy it. This saw if much better than the one I had many years ago that my wife inherited from her great uncle. Since I was able to do some nice work on that saw I can only imagine what I will be able to do with this one.:D

David Wilson
12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Box pics are kewl for now. At least until Tyler chimes in.

Cody Colston
12-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Congratulations on the new BS!

It doesn't matter to me what brand, color, make, model, size of cult following or country of manufacture. If it suits your needs, that's all that matters.

Enjoy the new tool and Merry Christmas. :)

Art Mann
12-25-2006, 11:47 PM
By coincidence, the last thing I did before leaving my shop a few minutes ago was to resaw some 5/4 X 6 inch cherry to 1/4 inch thick using my Craftsman 22401. I used a Timberwolf 3/4 inch resaw blade. The combination does a beautiful job and cuts really fast. I was just thinking that buying that model on sale was one of my better tool buying decisions. My only complaint is that the bearings on the blade guides are of poor quality and will eventually need to be replaced. I have read that they are cheap and commonly available.

Zahid Naqvi
12-26-2006, 12:04 AM
That's a good saw. I've had my eyes on it for a while myself. Too bad I blew my budget on a new bicycle :o :D
Congrats, there are lot's of features in this saw not commonly found in a 14" BS, such as the cast iron wheels and 8" resaw without a riser block.

Mike Seals
12-26-2006, 12:35 AM
My first post and I want to say congrats on the band saw. I just purchased the same saw on the 23rd, Christmas for me too. I had it up and running in about three hours. I debated on the different saws for a quite a while and went with this one even though the size of the blades are not readily available, the saw itself seemed to have the features I wanted for doing some light resawing at an affordable price. It also seemed to be built better than any of the name brands in the same price range. Only blade size made me hesitate.

I don't look at names any more as vitually everything is being made in China, I take a close look at the tool itself and read reviews. In this case, the Craftsman won.

Again, congradulations on the saw.

Walt Caza
12-26-2006, 9:29 AM
Hi Don,
Congrats on the new bandsaw! Please do not feel timid.....
Any shop acquistion which improves your own capibility to work wood
is progress. The Creek is a community, not a contest.
The way I see it, we each run our own race and share stories and knowledge when we can.

There is something to admire in those who do more with less anyway.
Common ground for sawdust hounds is an appreciation for pride in
Craftmanship...
So enjoy your Craftsman !
be well,
Wall
:)

Neil Lamens
12-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey Don:

You're going to be pleasantly surprised as to what you can do with your spank'in brand new Band Saw!!!!

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Awesome, been considering one as well, just don't know about fitting one of those boys in! Congrats!

Corey

Don Bullock
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you for all the responses and encouragement. I'm really excited about my new acquisition and I do promise pictures as soon as possible.

By coincidence, the last thing I did before leaving my shop a few minutes ago was to resaw some 5/4 X 6 inch cherry to 1/4 inch thick using my Craftsman 22401. I used a Timberwolf 3/4 inch resaw blade. The combination does a beautiful job and cuts really fast. I was just thinking that buying that model on sale was one of my better tool buying decisions. My only complaint is that the bearings on the blade guides are of poor quality and will eventually need to be replaced. I have read that they are cheap and commonly available.

Thanks for the information Art. I've heard of the problem with the bearings and looked at them closely before I bought the saw. It looks like they can easily be replaced. Perhaps there will be another bearing that is better made that will fit.

Congrats on the new bandsaw! Please do not feel timid.....
Any shop acquistion which improves your own capibility to work wood
is progress. The Creek is a community, not a contest.
The way I see it, we each run our own race and share stories and knowledge when we can.

Walt, I appreciate the comment. I've noticed that the people here are very friendly and helpful to everyone. It's a super place to hang out and learn.

roy nance
12-26-2006, 6:46 PM
I've struggled in deciding which B. S. to buy. You guys have convinced me to go with the Craftsman, thanks.

John Grossi
12-26-2006, 7:07 PM
Saw is priced at $430.00 until 12-30. Was this the same price before Christmas? I think regular price is $480.

glenn bradley
12-26-2006, 8:39 PM
We all work at different levels. I'm a hobbiest. I have an old 12" tilthead Craftsman and would be thrilled with your saw. A new BS is a wonderful thing. Congrats all the way!

Don Bullock
12-26-2006, 8:52 PM
Saw is priced at $430.00 until 12-30. Was this the same price before Christmas? I think regular price is $480.

Yes, I bought on the 24th because that was the "last day" for the sale. Sears puts this saw on sale for $429 fairly often. It's difficult to know exactly when that will be, but unlike places like Amazon at least Sears tells when the current price will end. They extended the current sale until the 30th.

Don Bullock
12-26-2006, 8:56 PM
I've struggled in deciding which B. S. to buy. You guys have convinced me to go with the Craftsman, thanks.

Roy, welcome to the creek. I noticed that this is your first post. I hope you'll stay around and post more. As for the Craftsman BS, I don't know yet how great it will be, but it will certainly be a lot better than the last one I had many years ago. Good luck with your choice. There are many out there to choose from.