PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new here. I have a question too.

Jack Howser
12-25-2006, 8:31 PM
Hello everyone!

I searched the forums and could not find a project like the one I want to do, so I have some questions.

I want to build a garage/workshop. In the past I have designed and made tables and smaller projects (I often make things I see on New Yankee Workshop). I can measure, cut, and do the basics. But I have never put up 4 walls and a roof.

Is this a project that can be done by someone like me, or is this something that needs a contractor? I have very limited funds, so I would like to do as much of the work myself as possible.

Has anyone here tackled a large project like a garage or workshop? I want to get up 4 walls and a roof as inexpensively as possible.

I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Dennis Peacock
12-25-2006, 9:00 PM
Hello Jack,

Welcome to SMC. To answer your question? Yes, I built my own house and also buily my own 24 by 24 shop behind the house. 6 years later we moved to Arkansas. Building on your own isn't all that hard. Experienced guidance would come in handy as well as knowing if you'll be required to have a contractor or not for city inspections.

Paul Geer
12-26-2006, 7:40 AM
To me the flat work is important enough to had a contractor do the job, being they have the equipment to dig the foundation and smooth the floor. That is if your going with a slab, even with a foundation I would have contractor do the job. The rest isn't too bad with experienced help.

At my old house, I had a 24x30 foot garage put up all by contractor. They finished the exterior and I wried, insulate and finished the interior. Saved me a bunch of time and money.

Jack Howser
12-26-2006, 5:14 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I have been considering building something more like a barn than a true garage. What I want is to have the most square feet for the lowest price. I don't need insulation or wiring. I'll run a long extension power cord to the building when I need power. I would like to have enough space to park 3 cars and keep them protected from weather. I would also like to have enough room to work.

If I was going to build using the cheapest options, how much do you believe a 40 foot by 28 foot garage/barn/workshop would cost?

Carl Eyman
12-26-2006, 5:33 PM
Jack:
First welcome to the Creek. Second, it seems to me I've seen books on building garages and other out buildings. Look at Home Depot or Lowes for some thing like that. You can always alter it to your dimensions. Just be careful that rafters are sized correctly if you increase the span. How to be sure? Ask people here, for example. Do be careful of building codes, though. It is very discouraging to get something built and then have an inspector tell you to tear it down.

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 6:53 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek!

Jack, you will want and need power in your outbuilding, even if it's just for cars, but especially if you want to use it as a workshop. An extension cord is a temporary measure and there are distance issues with amperage draw. In fact, you may need electrical in there to meet local codes, depending on where you live, at least for lighting and so forth.

Charles McKinley
12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Two words: Pole Building

It would help to know where you are but for cheap cost per square foot they are hard to beat.

First thing find out if you need a permit to build. The gov't seems to be sticking their nose in every where now. In my area as long as it is under 1000 sq. ft. you do not need a permit. Using a pole building find a kit or a design (places like 84 lumber can design and pull materials for you) that will allow you to get a car between the support post on the sides or you can put the garage doors on the ends and pull in.

Another benefit is you can get the pales and roof up and side it as you have the funds.

You can set one up basically with a post hole digger and careful layout for a straight and square walls. A powered post hole digger and a few friends definately will help things go faster. For a cheaper floor you can put in stone where you put the cars and a raised wood flood for you shop.

IMNSHO you will want at least a sub pannel for light and to pulg a few things in.

Jack Howser
12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Jack:
First welcome to the Creek. Second, it seems to me I've seen books on building garages and other out buildings. Look at Home Depot or Lowes for some thing like that. You can always alter it to your dimensions. Just be careful that rafters are sized correctly if you increase the span. How to be sure? Ask people here, for example. Do be careful of building codes, though. It is very discouraging to get something built and then have an inspector tell you to tear it down.

I found a book on framing and roofs, and it looks easier than I expected. I am starting to believe I can do this project.