PDA

View Full Version : Freud 6" dado and arbor length

Alex Berkovsky
12-25-2006, 5:40 PM
I had to use my Freud 6" stacked dado for the first time. The dado width I needed to cut was 3/4". To my surprise, after I stacked all the chippers, the arbor ran out of threads. :( :confused: I have a Craftsman 22124 saw if that makes any difference. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

After doing a quick search, which I should have done before posting, I found an answer (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47731). Looks like it's a common problem and the solution is to not use the washer.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 6:57 PM
Alex, even many cabinet saws require you to eschew the "washer" when you put a full stack on the arbor. It's really not a problem, however...there is enough surface area on the nut to support the blade. The washer just adds more and provides additional blade stabilization when using a single 1/8" or 3/32" thick blade. (Always use the washer outside of the specific situation with a wide dado setup, however...)

Carol VanArnam
12-25-2006, 8:31 PM
What is that some kind of french nut or something..... LOL.... (see Carol going to the dictionary and looking that one up....)

scott spencer
12-25-2006, 9:28 PM
No washer on a dado is pretty practice....