PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Christmas Bowl

John Hart
12-25-2006, 2:24 PM
Ah Christmas...The happiness, joy, noise......lots of noise.:rolleyes: I had to get out of the house for a bit so I ran to the shop....mounted up a piece of cherry and made a bowl. This is a shallow bowl, 2.5" deep and 11.5" in diameter. Finished with some very thinned clear shellac and buffed over with some 0000 steel wool for a nice feeling matte finish.

I feel much better now.:) Time to go to the inlaws and eat all their food...Merry Christmas everyone!;)

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2006, 2:47 PM
Ooh, very nice bowl John. I like the shape a lot. I have a chunk of cherry waiting for me, but I look like I'm about to do anything in the basement that doesn't involve playing air hockey with my son on the table we got him, I get the look from the wife.

Maybe tomorrow or the next day...

Merry Christmas.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2006, 4:43 PM
Nice looking cherry bowl John! I like the form but have to admit I like the finish you gave it even better! Nice work and Merry Christmas!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2006, 7:00 PM
Beautiful bowl John. Form and finish I like. Nice job.

Pete Jordan
12-25-2006, 7:10 PM
John,

Nice way to escape.

Did you make that on your horse drawn lathe?

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 7:16 PM
LOL! I did the "escape to the shop" thing myself this afternoon, although it was cleaning, electric and dust collection changes rather than "spinning". Remind me that toys that take batteries are bound to be "audibly annoying"...:rolleyes:

Very nice bowl, John! Very nice indeed.

Ron Journeau
12-25-2006, 7:20 PM
Looked out the window towards the shop, almost made it to the door, then remembered that all the patio and garden objet d'arts are leaning against the lathe. Sure gunna be a long winter...maybe shoulda asked Santa for another shed...hmmmmmm

Keith Burns
12-25-2006, 8:25 PM
Great bowl John, nice form and finish ! :) :) Glad you are back in the saddle again (oops wrong thread):D .

Jim Ketron
12-25-2006, 9:32 PM
Great looking bowl John!
Nice Job!

John Hart
12-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys! I've been eating for the last 4 hours....so it's time for a long winters nap.;) Oh....hey Pete...nope, I didn't use any horses in this production. But I will let you know that I helped the neigh neighbor shoe his horse. I didn't help a lot, but y'all woulda snickered a bit.:D

Tom Sherman
12-26-2006, 8:45 AM
Nice bowl John, great way to make use of some recuperative time. And don't feel too bad about not helping much with the shoeing you have to start small.

John Miliunas
12-26-2006, 9:03 AM
Thanks guys! I've been eating for the last 4 hours....so it's time for a long winters nap.;) Oh....hey Pete...nope, I didn't use any horses in this production. But I will let you know that I helped the neigh neighbor shoe his horse. I didn't help a lot, but y'all woulda snickered a bit.:D

Nice getaway from the festivities and a great bowl to show for it, John. :)

Hey, and it's great to hear you're finally getting yourself prepared. First-hand practice is the best way to learn and, at this rate, you'll be all set when you get your own horse(s)! :D :cool:

Pat Doble
12-26-2006, 6:46 PM
Nice bowl John - and that matte finish was a great choice for it.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-26-2006, 9:11 PM
Like the form and color on this one John. :)