PDA

View Full Version : Oak or poplar?

Brian Knop
11-12-2003, 11:20 PM
The plans I have call for making drawers sides out of poplar. But I was wondering if oak would not be better. I am thinking that the poplar might be to soft and over time would wear down. Any one have any thoughts about this?

Brian

Von Bickley
11-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Brian,
Poplar has been used for drawer sides for many, many years. A large portion of antique furniture will have poplar used as a secondary wood to include drawer sides.
Between the poplar and the oak, I would use what I had available.

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Brian,

I have made several drawers out of poplar and they are holding up bery well. 1/2" thick with the tops slightly rounded over. Poplar has been and still is used in many furniture makers shops. Easy to machine, lighter than oak and if you use dovetail joinery....it will be STRONG.!!! Poplar is usually more economical than oak so if cost is a factor, then poplar is the choice.

Jim Becker
11-13-2003, 9:28 AM
Poplar for me, too...and not just because I have a ton of it. I like it for drawers as it's unobtrusive, fine grained and more than strong enough. There are no pores to catch dirt like oak offers, either. Mind you, there is no "problem" with using oak and you should if that's the look you want. But poplar, maple, pine and birch are probably the most common drawer box materials.

Ken Salisbury
11-13-2003, 10:28 AM
I would not even consider making a drawer box from anything other than poplar. It has been the defacto standard for drawer construction for longer than I have been alive (and that is a long, long time :D ). For all the reasons already given by Dennis and Jim, and I would add that poplar is one of the most stable domestic woods available - the main reason it was the wood of choice for drawers for more than a century.

Brian Knop
11-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all of the good information. Poplar it is!

Brian