PDA

View Full Version : Wife's Christmas Gift Completed just in Time

Gilbert Vega
12-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I finished spraying the lacquor morning of the 24th, just in time to wrap the gift up. Built with figured Walnut from the estate sale post I had earlier. Used the Woodcraft kit as the basis with some minor revisions. I managed to keep it a secret all week long as I was building it. Told her she wasn't allow in the shop because of a "secret project" I was building. She said she thought I was building her a real fancy rolling pin.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/DSCN0647a.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/DSCN0650a.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/DSCN0645a.jpg

Tom Henry
12-25-2006, 1:00 PM
:eek: Very Nicely Done!!!!

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 1:00 PM
Whoa!! VERY nice!! Wife is a very lucky young lady!!!

Roy Wall
12-25-2006, 1:03 PM
BEAUTIFUL!! The figure sure does the talking....LOYL must be pleased!

WHat is the finish?

Robert Mahon
12-25-2006, 1:04 PM
Stunning.
Absolutely stunning.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-25-2006, 1:34 PM
Very nice work...Walnut is a fave of mine and yours has great figure.

glenn bradley
12-25-2006, 1:47 PM
That is the fanciest rolling pin I've ever seen. Verrrrry clever; she'll never wack you over the head with that beautiful clock. Really beautiful.

Dan Oliphant
12-25-2006, 2:28 PM
Darn nice piece!!!!! Well done, I really like the Walnut you used.

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2006, 2:51 PM
Beautiful clock, Gilbert. Maybe she can use the back of it to smoosh dough so it can serve as a rolling pin anyway? :D

Ron Jones near Indy
12-25-2006, 7:02 PM
That is one beautiful clock. The walnut is outstanding. Thanks for sharing it with us.

lou sansone
12-25-2006, 7:34 PM
hi Gilbert
Very nice "bracket clock". They are really interesting time pieces and unfortunately very few decent works and dials are available for them ( none that I know of from the US ) . Many in the US have not heard of the term " bracket clock" but in the UK they have quite a history. There are some American examples of them, but they are much fewer in number. For those interested in magnificent examples of bracket clocks, take a look at the link provided. I have no affiliation with this company and I hope I have not violated the TOS here at the creek with its post. I have been in this particular establishment in London and I was captivated by these timepieces.

Please do not consider this response in any way taking away from your fine work. I do believe once you see these clocks you will understand my love and appreciation for them. I have spoken to a couple of English firms about reproducing the true "bracket clock" works and dials, but the cost would be in the order of $8k or more for them. If someone here happens to have other information about purchasing bracket clock works, please let us know.

http://www.raffetyantiqueclocks.com/antique_clocks.asp?clocktype=1

enjoy
lou

Barry Bruner
12-25-2006, 8:02 PM
That is one fine looking clock, I`m sure she will be proud to show it off. Great job. Barry Bruner

Dave Fifield
12-25-2006, 8:35 PM
Lovely clock Gilbert. I'd be proud to own such a thing and you should be even prouder that you MADE one!!

:Dave F.

Don Bullock
12-25-2006, 8:52 PM
Beautiful. I love the walnut. What a nice surprise for your wife.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-25-2006, 9:18 PM
Well done!
-Jeff :)

Larry Fox
12-25-2006, 9:23 PM
WOW - that is phenominal. Very nice work. No way I am letting my wife see this and read that you built it in a week.

Gilbert Vega
12-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you for all your kind words. It was a hectic week for sure. At one point I was thinking I would have to give it to her unfinished. Just wouldn't have been the same. Thanks again.

Robert Mahon
12-26-2006, 5:08 AM
You can give an unfinished gift with no problem.
A few years ago I was on the final step of completing a Birthday gift. Unfortunately, I cut my hand when putting the final pe-finishing touches on the carcase and a bit of blood got on it.
When I gave the gift I explained that as I put so much of myself into it and the blood took time to dry, I was unable to oil and wax it.

The reception was wonderful (and a light-bulb went on).
I've used that trick a number of times for different people when a gift was late.

But, now everyone expects my blood all the time.

Very nice job, BTW.

Hans Braul
12-26-2006, 8:26 AM
Beautifully made Gilbert. The figure is spectacular and the workmanship is top notch. Thanks for showing.

Hans

Byron Trantham
12-26-2006, 9:13 AM
Beautiful job. I really like the finish.

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2006, 9:57 AM
Gilbert, your a very talented woodworker. That is a fine clock and gift. Awesome!

Corey