PDA

View Full Version : My First Lie-Nielsen

Tom Henry
12-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Merry Christmas to me!!!!:D After the kids opened all thier gifts my wife and I gave our gifts to each other, and someone must have been a good boy!!! I received my first Lie-Nielsen Heirloom tool. A Medium Shoulder Plane. My son at my side a smile on my face I looked at him and told him that he will enjoy this one day!;)

Brian Knodel
12-25-2006, 1:35 PM
Be careful … you are on a slippery slope now, as in all likely hood this will not be your last quality plane. I have one on the way as well and this will be number 3 in my collection.

Enjoy!

Brian

Russ Massery
12-25-2006, 4:03 PM
No pic didn't happen.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 7:57 PM
No pic didn't happen.

Exactly. Tom??? ;)

(Congrats on your supposed gift... :D :D :D)

Alan Turner
12-25-2006, 9:16 PM
Tom,
Congrats. You are now in trouble. No one can eat just one plane.

Sharpening is next. If you like, bring this toy to the next MCWW meeting, and I will give you a hand at a quick fettling of the iron.

Zahid Naqvi
12-25-2006, 10:18 PM
congrats, this is the first push that tips you over towards the slippery slope.:cool:

Ken Werner
12-26-2006, 4:39 PM
Alas, poor Tom is lost...along with many a good fellow.

I'm Ken, and I'm a planeaholic

David Marcus Brown
12-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Very nice first plane! Congrats!

Oh, btw, since I don't have a LN medium shoulder, I can truly say with envy & sincerity, 'you suck'! ;) :p

Greg Cole
12-29-2006, 9:50 AM
After much fiddling with a couple big box store el-cheapo's for some time and not ever being satisfied with the results, nor the "tools" I decided to take some of the generous Christmas bonus from work and put together a basic starter set of good hand planes (also a Grizz 0513X on the Merry Christmas to me thanks to work list).
The first one showed up yesterday in the form of a LN standard angle block plane. The LN box came off the big brown truck and sat on my desk all day whispering at me to leave early, which didn't happen. But I did postpone making the evening meal as I "HAD" to go remove the new from the plane.
I spent about 2 minutes honing the blade a little (not that it really needed it), and I can say I already LOVE this tool. LOML didn't share the enthusiasm for the see through shavings that I "had" to show her.... but she'll more than appreciatethe finished goods it will aid in making.
I should take delivery on another LN #4 & #7 today as well as a LV Medium Shoulder plane in a box with mortise marking gauge, marking knife, MKII honing jig and camber roller set up.
I guess I can say I've found the slide on the Neander slope to be quite pleasant and I am looking forward to hours, days & years using the above items. And I didn't need one single push down the slope (other than using CRAPPY tools for too long).

Greg
Creek Newbie

Terek Johnson
12-30-2006, 9:39 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lie Nielsen! I think folks who have struggled with sub-par tools best appreciate how awsome a well made tool is. In my own experience, it truely has been a great step up in terms of quality and dependability. I've spent many fruitful years with great old Stanley planes (and I still have a few that get regular use), however I took the L N plunge awhile back and been lovin' every minute of it.
Your foot note regarding good quality vs. poor quality sums it all up: you do wince at the price tag for sure, but in another couple years all you'll think about is all the great things that plane has helped you make.
Enjoy!

Dick Aubochon
12-30-2006, 7:47 PM
Well, living only 15 miles from Lie Nielson Toolworks I get to go over there and try out all the planes, and chisels. I think Tom is waiting for me to but one, so I may have to breakdown soon ;)

Gregg Feldstone
12-30-2006, 8:41 PM
Which plane did you buy and why? I'm thinking about the #4 1/2 bench.