PDA

View Full Version : So, whatcha get????

Mitchell Andrus
12-25-2006, 10:37 AM
My wood shop is pretty well set up ( I'm very hard to buy for, I just buy what I need when I need it) .... so aside from some rolls of PSA sandpaper (a running joke) I received a roll-around base for my tool box in the garage and a huge set of ratchets and sockets - like clamps, you never have enoough sockets. I'm trying to get back to restoring my Model A Ford.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Mitch

Lou Ferrarini
12-25-2006, 10:55 AM
From the wife - MiniatureTemplate Kit for my PC 4212.

From the kid - Gift card to the BORG.

And a very Merry Christmas to all.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Two lamps for the bedroom, a very nice maroon long sleeve Henley shirt, chocolate (!), a Starbucks card loaded with some cash and the pleasure of watching my daughters open all their presents. And, of course, the opportunity to wrap presents on a solid surface...you can really get "crisp" edges on the paper with cast iron support! :D

The present I bought myself will arrive at a future date...

Guy Germaine
12-25-2006, 1:10 PM
LOML got me a 18V DeWalt cordless drill. VERY happy camper.:D

Gave my old Craftsman 14V drill a proper burial this morning. :D

Al Willits
12-25-2006, 1:47 PM
We're a pretty small family, but I did get a bosch laminate router, for the inlay I want to learn, some TS maintance stuff, and corner clamps.

Plus the wife and I sat and listened to the Garrison Keeler christmas special and enjoyed a glass or two of wine, some snacks and each others company X-mas eve...a pretty special weekend for us.

Al

nic obie
12-25-2006, 2:37 PM
A set of centronic drill bits from Festool, a chrome platting kit and a 27" widescreen TV for the bedroom (that I should be mounting on the wall right now instead of playing with the computer. :D )

Merry Christmas everybody!

Jeremy Gibson
12-25-2006, 2:52 PM
From myself just before Xmas from Harbor Freight:
clamp-on amp meter
pin-type moisture meter
square spring-loaded chisel to square rounded mortises

From my mother:
24" Bessey parallel clamp

From LOML:
40T Woodworker II saw blade
electric automatic adjusting cressent-style wrench
phenolic zero-clearance insert

From my brother-in-law:
$50 gift card from the Borg

From my parents-in-law:
$100 cold cash!!

Dennis Peacock
12-25-2006, 3:09 PM
From the LOML and Kids:
8 interlocking padded floor matts to go over a few square feet of my concrete shop floor. Orta make it nice while standing around the lathe and around the tablesaw. :D

From the LOML specifically:
A new Accuspray 23K HVLP Turbine/gun setup. :cool: :D
Ordered it from Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. It's in the shop as we "speak". :D
Luckily we had some shop money put back and I had a bass guitar up for sell, so this made the new spray rig a "paid for item".

Merry Christmas!!!!

Tim Morton
12-25-2006, 4:22 PM
Got a new TV (delivered a couple weeks ago)...so nothing under the tree for me this year:D

Bryan Somers
12-25-2006, 6:27 PM
A Bosch 1590 jigsaw a couple of weeks ago as an early present

Some surf fishing gear from the daughter

And something (the LOML wont tell me) that has not arrived yet but I think its the "Band of Brothers" dvd set.

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Mark Riegsecker
12-25-2006, 7:59 PM
From my wife I got the Bible on CD. Now I never have to read another thing.

From myself I got a carbide blade for my MM band saw.

Jim, you still have that used Jet? (I could add that to my list)

I'm tempted but you're so far.

Mark.

Joe Trotter
12-25-2006, 8:01 PM
From my wife,
Air hose reel form sears

From the kids,
kreg R3
ryobi 215 piece drill set
new hammer
a set of spade drills

For my wife, diamoond earrings and bracelet.

I actually have spent allot of cash since October on a refurb of my 24x28 garage. I have been waiting 10 years or so to do it. It is getting so close :)

Eric Sabo
12-25-2006, 8:52 PM
A bunch of clothes (which I needed, desperately!)
Some cookies and chocolates
A couple of hand made ornimants (I know, sounds corny, but I swear they are some of the coolest carvings/sculptures I've seen)

Oh, and she cleaned a 10.5x15 storage room that was a workshop 20+ years ago and has been a storage room for hte last 13 years, which was 75% (thats the entire floor, almost shoulder height on her) full of bags of old clothes, toys, and random garbage that followed my mom and I from our old home. She is "giving" it to me as a room for me to woodwork and whatever else I decide to take on. She was going to use one of my small maple live edge cutoffs to wood burn a sign, but sadly, her inexpensive woodburning pen gave up the ghost.

Got a 50 dollar Sears gift certificate from the in-laws as well.

John Shuk
12-25-2006, 9:02 PM
$150 gift card to Lee Valley! Some shirts and other stuff. Remote car starter! Wonderful feeling inside when my kids hugged me in the Santa suit.

Mark Singer
12-25-2006, 9:17 PM
A gold Vacheron Constantin watch for my collection....More $$$ than woodworking tools and I should not wear it in the shop if I know what is good for me:confused:

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2006, 9:21 PM
First $100 towards my new Armalite M4 I am buying ($650 left to go) from my best friend - buying from his brother in law.
A Coleman 2400PSI pressure washer from the MIL - gotta keep the Deere clean.
Zelda Twilight Princess for gamecube from the wife.
Kreg Right Angle clamp (want to a second one now) from the dog.

Having recently built a router table that matches the sawstop, using a new Incra LS Pro 25" system (my christmas present to myself along with the CMT bits to go with it) I was pretty much set.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 9:39 PM
Jim, you still have that used Jet? (I could add that to my list)

I'm tempted but you're so far.

To quote Annie..."It's only a day away..." :D :D :D

Bruce Page
12-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Mrs Klaus went neander and got me a boxed set of Lee Valley bench chisels and a corner rounding thingy.:D

Mike Cutler
12-25-2006, 10:22 PM
It was a 'neander Christmas for me.

L-N Medium Shoulder plane.
L-N Cabinet Scraper plane.
L-N 102.
L-N103.
L-N 60 1/2.
L-N Chisel Plane.
L-N 4 1/2.
1/8,1/4,3/8, and 1/2" Sorby Sash Mortise Chisels.
Crown Right and Left Angled Skew Chisels.
Crown 3/8, and 1/2" Bench Chisels.

A big investment in hand tools, but it was time. I want to up the bar on my work,and these are the tools I think(hope) will help me.

The best gift was just spending the day with my wife. No where to go. No pressure. Just hang out. Very cool day for me.

Oh yeah, I got a really cool Lie-Niesen, black T-shirt, from the folks at Woodcraft in Warwick RI. Very cool shirt.

Joe Pelonio
12-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Silly as it may sound I got one of those Black and Decker electric measuring tapes, and it's really fun to play with. You push a button and it shoots out. It actually will make it easier to measure 4x8s to cut for signs, but I have to say that when someone else comes into the house and you spring it on them it's fun to watch their face.

Thomas Prondzinski
12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Well no woodworking tools,Got a Castle racing winter coat and HD gift cert,from loml. Sweaters and a personalized liscence plate for the HD "SHYNON" to go with the "PNKFLD" that I got last year for the truck

Tom

David Wilson
12-25-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48372

Bill Grumbine
12-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Well I don't very often get tools for the shop for Christmas, since SWMBO says they are business stuff. But I did get a very nice tool for another activity of mine. She gave me Bible Works 7, which is a very powerful Bible study program, allowing me to put up multiple translations or texts, including Greek and Hebrew. It includes the lexicons I have in those old fashioned book thingies, as well as a bunch more. It is essentially a complete library including maps and other books.

I do get to spend some money on tools though, especially with the end of the year coming. Have to keep the taxman in his place! :eek:

Bill

Joe Mioux
12-26-2006, 8:36 PM
I am told that there is a Gift Card coming from a WW co that sells tools with that are Black with Green accents.;)

A nice fleece pull over. I love those things because it keeps me from wearing a coat. They are good for inside and outside.

And a check. The check is tempting me towards a rather expensive Italian made power tool, but common sense will soon take over.....

JayStPeter
12-26-2006, 9:22 PM
My birthday is this month also, so between the two:

- LV Bevel Up Jointer
- LV Med shoulder plane
- 4 LN chisels (wife coordinated sizes well among varous buyers)
- Microplane rasps and inserts

I also got a couple funny ww'ing t-shirts. One that says "I'll get back to you when the glue is dry" and the other "It aint square until it's square" with a pic of a combination square on it.

Bought myself a PM701 mortiser for my birthday.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53477&d=1167162435
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53478&d=1167162446

Jeff Yates
12-26-2006, 11:43 PM
One of my very good friends understands my sense of humor and style...

So the 500/750/1000 craftsman shop lights my nephew and niece gave me are close to my heart...

THIS has to be my favorite gift...and yes...that's one of the globe light bulbs that attracts the 'lightning' to your fingers if you touch the bulb...

Anthony Welch
12-27-2006, 6:12 AM
I got a toaster oven from the wife :rolleyes: .... to go with the HF powder coat gun I got for myself ;) .

Mitchell Andrus
12-27-2006, 9:01 AM
Sooo.... the toaster oven is to keep the parts out of the kitchen? Cool.

Derek Rose
12-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Ryobi Fixed base router and 8-pc bit set
World of Warcraft, the board game
Clothes
Watching my 3yo and 22mo boys light up with excitement when they see that Santa ate the plate of cookies and left them each a Lightning McQueen

Jim O'Dell
12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I asked for an old time mechanical wall mount pencil sharpener for the shop...I got 2 of them!! Identical even.:D Also got a kit with 4 shop pencils and the special sharpener for them. Guess I hinted rather strongly, huh? Typical stuff like house shoes, candy, etc. FIL did give me 120.00 cash, and also another 100.00 cash for a belated birthday present from Nov., so I can get some shop stuff, like OSB for the walls!, with that. Maybe even finish up the lighting for the shop. Jim.

Jim Becker
12-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Those pencil sharpeners are great, Jim. I was fortunate that there actually was on IN the building my shop now occupies when we moved here. The previous owners were both school teachers and I suspect that my sharpener was the result of that occupation...

Dennis Peacock
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Was cleaning up the "after-math" or should I say "after-mess" of Christmas gifts....you know, empty boxes, wadded up newspaper, twist-ties, little pieces of plastic, and tissue paper.

I picked up a small piece of tissue paper this morning while cleaning up and thought it felt kinda heavy. Needless to say I found:
1- 80º Bent Cutter Tip
1- 15º Bent Cutter Tip
1- 45º Bent Cutter Tip
All for hollow turning.

I guess I need to go a little slower when tossing papers around on Christmas next year hugh? :eek: :o :)

Ed Breen
12-27-2006, 1:27 PM
It was a wonderful evening. I got a 4 lb box of chocoaltes from my son, my daughter gave me a used forge with hand crank blower, andthe LOML gave me one half of an order of kitchen cabs (I gave her the other 1/2) about 3 grand. I cashed in a bumnch of AMEX points and sent daughter and gdaughter to Chicago to see the Tut exhibit and whatever else the "go chicago" card will support. LOML and I are baby sitting the five year old at home and at work. I love this time of year!!!
Ed

Mack Cameron
12-28-2006, 7:57 AM
Didn't need (couldn't think of any tools). Good News, Got 5 bottles of the best Kentucky Bourbon in the world, and 1 Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Tennessee Whiskey, 94 proof; Wild Turkey Rare Breed, 108 proof; Knob Creek 9 year old, 100 proof; Blanton's Single Barrel 93 proof; Woodford Reserve, 90 proof; & Maker's Mark 90 proof. Great haul. Bad News, they are all 2 oz. size. The greatest problem is not knowing which one to do first.

Steve Hayes
12-28-2006, 9:27 AM
LOML gave me a Dewalt 788 and stand :) . Now to finish the kitchen so I can have some time to use it.

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Long winters in Ontario???

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Long winters in Ontario???

Hey Mitch,
It to help Mack stay warm on all those cold winter nights. Shoot, he'll work up a sweat just picking up all those 2 ounce bottles trying to figure out which one do drink first. :p :rolleyes:

Mack Cameron
12-28-2006, 11:47 AM
[quote]LOML gave me a Dewalt 788 and stand :) .Hi Steve; that 788 is a sweet Scroll Saw. Just in case you have to put the stand together and don't already know this...make sure you tilt the back end up as high as it will go. You'll find it much easier to scroll this way.