PDA

View Full Version : cypress Adirondack Chairs

Greg Pierce
12-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I took a shot at making a couple sets of these chairs for my nephew and Brother in Law. They are suprisingly comfortable.

Made them for Christmas gifts.
Merry Christmas

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Looks great, Greg. I agree that Adirondacks are quite comfortable...

Dave Bureau
12-25-2006, 3:15 PM
Nice chair Greg. I'm going to build some myself this winter. where did you get the plans? i would like to use cypress but is hard to get around here. was also thinking about Ipe? but never used it. any other suggestions?
Dave

Paul Douglass
12-25-2006, 4:17 PM
That is a great job! Did you put a finish on it or is the bare wood?

Greg Pierce
12-25-2006, 4:47 PM
Thanks guys.

Bare wood, no finish thought I would suggest they let them age silver, I got plans from Winfield Collections catalog. Turned out to be very comfy. I was surprised.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-25-2006, 6:51 PM
I've got them on my to do list. Ipe would be very heavy I think--and that might not be necessarily bad. White oak would work too, but I think I'll probably use cypress.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 7:02 PM
Ron, I enjoyed working with the cypress when I built my Adirondack chairs as long as I had SQ or rift sawn material. I found that cathedral grain on the flat areas had a tendancy to flake and peal even in the beginning and actually re-made one arm because of it. I do think that the next ones I make will be from Ipe or white oak as you mention. Yes, more weight, but "harder" and will last a bit longer out in the weather 365 days of the year. My cypress chairs are reaching "end of life" after 7 or 8 seasons.