PDA

View Full Version : Chess Sets

Alan Mikkelsen
12-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't post much anymore, been pretty busy with trying to do all the trim for a large house for one of the kids, but I'm still a woodworker! Here's some chess boards that I made for our adult children and their families for Christmas. Walnut, maple & cherry. My homemade Maloof style finish. Hope you enjoy. Merry Christmas all.

Hans Braul
12-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Beautiful work Alan! I'm jealous. How do I get to be part of your family?

Merry Christmas
Hans

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Alan, those are really nice chess sets. Lucky family members to get them!!

Ted Christiansen
12-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Alan,

Did you make the chess pieces as well? If not, where did you buy them? I have seen some chess pieces made on a scroll saw that looked quite nice.

A chess set is on my to-do list. Maybe for next Christmas.

Ted

Mike Hill
12-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Alan: really beautiful work. I really like the idea of storing the pieces below the board. I am sure someone has done this, but I was thinking of a large chess board like this with drawer storage below and table legs.

Happy Holidays
Mike

Gilbert Vega
12-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Very nice chess sets!! Do you have any close-up pics you can post? Close up's on the turned pieces?

Merry Christmas to all.

Alan Mikkelsen
12-26-2006, 3:26 PM
We bought the three sets of game pieces. I didn't start these until the first week of December and had a ton of other work to do. There was no way I was going to be able to turn/carve three sets in this decade.:D