PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the construction of a bed

Zahid Naqvi
12-24-2006, 8:45 PM
After extended discussions me and the LOML have finally agreed on the design for my son's bed. Here's a picture of what it's going to be modeled after. I am going to make the frame with Walnut, not sure what the huge head board pannel will be composed of.

I've read previous posts about some hardware that has been successfully used to connect the rails with the headboard and the foot board. Can some one point me to that hardware.

And how about ideas on how to fill the headboard pannel.

that should keep me occupied for the next few weeks.

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
The classical way to connect the rails is with bed bolts (for instance http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/bedhardware/161). A more common method is these rail hooks --- http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Fasteners%20%26%20Screws/CatID/Bed%20Fittings/showprod/1

Zahid Naqvi
12-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks Jamie, rail hooks is what I was looking for, just didn't know what they were called.

Wilbur Pan
12-25-2006, 3:56 PM
Hi Zahid,

Here's a bit of an off the wall idea for how to fill the panel. Since it's for your son, and so I'm guessing you could veer more towards the "masculine" end of the design scale, you might consider stretching leather or suede over some thin padding over a piece of plywood, and fitting that into the space of the frame. Then you'll be able to make a bunch of chairs with your newly honed upholstery technique. ;)

You could also consider dividing the framed space with a center stile (or rail? I forget which one is vertical) and have two panels, or three or more, so that the headboard doesn't look so monolithic.

Gotta go -- it looks like my break from assembling Christmas presents for my kids is over. :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
12-25-2006, 4:26 PM
Z,

After building 3 beds, one of each of my boys, I learned a couple of things. One things for sure, make the side rails 1-1/2" thick, I laminated two 3/4" pieces together to make up my rails....and plan for a 1" ledger board to go on the inside of the bed frame. If you need some help on the project, let me know.

Zahid Naqvi
12-25-2006, 9:49 PM
If you need some help on the project, let me know.

I certainly will and you will be the first one to know.:D

Zahid Naqvi
12-25-2006, 9:54 PM
you might consider stretching leather or suede over some thin padding over a piece of plywood, and fitting that into the space of the frame.
You could also consider dividing the framed space with a center stile (or rail? I forget which one is vertical)

Wilbur, I am thinking along the same lines, i.e. stretching some leather over a piece of plywood and making it into a pannel. But I have never done this before so this will take some thinking. The pannel has to be strong enough to survive several years as back support with an almost teen leaning against it.

The two pannel option has already been rejected by the LOML.:(

Bryan Cowing
12-26-2006, 1:42 AM
use the extra HD bed fittings that mortice into the wood. I have had one bed that has to have the fasteners changed over to the HD type. Do not recess too deep or the HD type won't hook up tight.

Hans Braul
12-26-2006, 8:36 AM
Check out Lee Valley. They carry an assortment of bed fixture hardware.

Good luck with your project.

Hans

Stuart Johnson
12-26-2006, 9:30 AM
Wilbur, I am thinking along the same lines, i.e. stretching some leather over a piece of plywood and making it into a pannel.
You will probably want to use some padding under the leather. There is a regular cotton batting for upholstery or you might use fiber fill from Wal-Mart or similar store. If the panel was held in rabbets by screws from the back you wouldn't need to worry about repairing it if it was damaged. I can't think of the correct name but I think I would use the fasteners like a nut that go inside a drilled hole and take a 1/4" bolt instead of actual wood screws.